Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Guard towers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:31 am 
Conscript

Anybody is building guard towers in world wars? This is the only unit that stikes me as exclusively for scenarios, without a real use in world wars. Can anyone give me a good reason why (and when) I should build them in a world war?

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:11 am 
P.L. Marshal

Towers are useful in defence.
There are at least two situations
first- enemy invades a neutral country with some tank force.Your task is to hold them off for some time.You deploy a tower in some remote place (like forest).Tank will spend several turns trying to approach and destroy it - and tower will fire at them all the time (thanx to its range).IMHO that's more useful than deploying LAVs.
second- in a really long surface battle which came to stalemate (with equal forces).Towers can provide long-range fire support and unlike artillery they not fear to be instantly destroyed aircrafts.
everything depends on your style of gameplay of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:48 am 
Sea Wolf

I use em all the time. They are the most difficult land unit to destroy if well protected for a couple reasons. First because of their hitpoints, the most of any single unit. Second because of their range... they can be placed on the other side of a forest or desert to keep them out of the range of the enemy. With LAVs or tanks protecting them, they are even harder to reach. Stick them in places that only have a couple hexes next to them and they are even easier to protect.

This is very useful, as they can deal a lot of punishing damage before they are taken down. All it takes is a sneaky rocket launcher in a transport or a bomber attack to take down your annihilators. Heavy Bots are always in danger because of their limited range. Mortars have few hitpoints, and all the other units are short range. This makes a well protected tower the most difficult to destroy. The only units that really have a chance are rocket launchers, but the enemy will rarely risk them to go after a tower unless they have a lot of them. If thats true you're dead anyways.

Of course their lack of mobility makes gives you reason to be very careful in how you place them so they can continue to help you.

The only unit I haven't used extensively is the amphibian. Maybe that's because I haven't played an online match on Paradise :) (that's the with oodles of islands, right?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:55 am 
Sea Wolf

an onslaught of 4 or 5 lavs ad a mortar has no real chance against a tower and some lavs. ot say you have a very narrow passage and you want to protect it. a gaurd towe and alav makeagood defense. after the kill teh lav they stil have gto deal with the tower. if it's only one hex it can stay for awhile not to etnion if the invade you'll get guerilla to fend ff teh atack which can only invade with one unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:57 pm 
Conscript

Interesting; thanks for the info :) I guess that in my next world war I'll try a tower or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:49 pm 
Developer

NetDanzr wrote:
Interesting; thanks for the info :) I guess that in my next world war I'll try a tower or two.

Well... please, do NOT overdo it!
:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:59 pm 
Conscript

Hehehe; I was thinking about doing it on Noble Rust. Placing a line of towers at one point, and then sweeping down the whole continent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:21 pm 
Developer

IMO: almost useless... makes sense to put one in the forest at a very distant corner of a country if there are no fast enemy units near. They should have 3 damage instead of 2... or cost 3 $

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:31 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yowsers. If towers did three damage, that would make them Nasty. Missile platforms would have to swarm them to take them down, since they each only have one chance. Better be careful with those transports too...

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:27 pm 
Sea Wolf

actually i think what would be a great idea. that was you could diable laucnhers and transports with it or maybe increase the range to 5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:04 am 
Developer

Range 5 :)

It will add some extra variety. Have to ask Vic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:42 am 
Developer

Hm...

what about making Guard Tower's price $3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:55 am 
P.L. Marshal

the defending side has too much bonuses even now..increasing towers firepower and range would be unfair and disbalance the game
decreasing cost...well maybe...i am not sure..better to leave it as it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:53 am 
Sea Wolf

I think you might be seeing some game dynamics changes... When there is a standard battle line along a country border, both sides might more likely build Towers. So there would be some supporting units on both sides, of course, since Towers are stationary, but the main battle force might start to be towers in those situations. Medium countries could place one each turn, and could place 2 as a guerrilla force. I'm not so sure its a bad thing, we'd have to try it out, but I think you'd see some tactical changes... Of course that would be true of any changes made.

If you do that, make sure to lower their hitpoints a little.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:56 am 
Sea Wolf

even though it sounds nice but i have to agree it might not be the best idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:44 pm 
P.L. Marshal

lol
here is some good example of how you should NOT use guard towers :D
i received challenge from some guy named Zubrator :o ..suppose that was his first online Worldwar :lol: ...he loves towers alot spending nearly half of his money on them and then sticking them in the place there they are LEAST useful :lol:

Attachments:
MrakvsZubratoronAntarktik.rep [18.03 KiB]
Downloaded 2308 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:12 am 
Veteran

And hereґs an example of how you CAN use Guard Towers. (I think they are ok, donґt need improvement.)

In this game against DryFire, I used 3 Guard Towers *offensively*, to very good effect:

Attachments:
CoffeevsDryfireonEmerald.rep [23.75 KiB]
Downloaded 2401 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:05 am 
Developer

Ladies and Gentlemen...

What about making the Guard Towers' price $3?

In Scenarios it won't make any difference, but in the World Wars it will lead to their wider usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:38 am 
Veteran

Vic wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen...

What about making the Guard Towers' price $3?

Entirely possible, but it will lead to make the game *considerably* more defensive.

Examples:

*Medium Countries will often defend with 2 Militia Guard Towers. Thatґs 18 Defence and 4 Firepower.

*Guard Tower will probably replace the ML in many situations (less Firepower, but cheaper and much more resilient).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:06 am 
Tough Nut

I think that $4 is a very balanced price. As Coffeedragon said, if they were cheaper then the game would switch to being more defensive, because I know for sure that I would use them much more often. But that would also mean that games would last more turns, and in my opinion would take less strategy and just depend more on raw firepower. The length of the games right now (the amount of turns it takes to finish) seems to be just about right. At $4, I still purchase them at certain times, which is what I think they are, a specialty unit. I would prefer NOT to see any more of them in game than there already are, otherwise it would slow down gameplay too much, IMO.