Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lion and Whale: Artanis vs. Korvack on Wasserland
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 am 
Sea Wolf

This is a truly epic matchup of land versus sea on and around the islands of Planet Wasserland.

At sea, every single fleet that faced Korvack's Battleships found itself blasted to Davy Jones' Locker before it could influence the course of the war. This is not an exaggeration, either: no less than three complete armadas squared off against the silver behemoths, and all three ended up as scrap. Even my mighty Firestorms were little more than coastal siege weapons for all the good they did against Korvack's navy.

In the meantime, my Bio-Ts were dominating the land battles in the same way that his Battleships ruled the oceans. Despite some close calls, the FNU forces never, EVER drove my army from a country once a Bio-T had entered it. Tanks, Amphibians, and even Destroyers fell victim to the neon green fire of their energy cannons.

In the middle of the game, Korvack invaded a northwestern Low Economy country that I could not possibly defend despite being just a few hexes from my High Economy Ally. Knowing that losing the country would lose me the game, I disclosed it. The delay worked: Korvack fell one hit point short of gaining the indemnity before my northern army rode to the rescue.

My original plan had been to focus on 3 islands in the north, sweeping around and gaining momentum as I went. After three naval massacres, dozens of casualties in some of the most desperate fighting I've ever seen, and more than 20 turns, the north was finally mine. When my eastern army - led by Smallfoots - landed on one of Korvack's long-depleted allies in the southeast, he knew that he had lost, and sent his surrender. The Lion, battered, tired, and beaten, had finally slain the Whale.

Attachments:
CLANWAR-24869-WAS-Artanis(R)-def-Korvack(G)-24.rep [168.13 KiB]
Downloaded 1777 times

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:51 pm 
Unusual game. First bomber doesn't show up until turn #20. No carriers whatsoever.

Korvack, although the amphib's won you a few victories, they were also your downfall. They're simply too expensive to use in the manner and QTY that you had.