Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Rating System?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:19 pm 
Tough Nut

I checked the ratings page today, and read the description of some new system. It sounded good except the part about ending a game early cuts your losses somehow. I've never bought into the idea of forfeiting games you can't win for a couple of reasons. The first and I think the most obvious is the negative effect it has on the community. If every new player forfeited every game he was going to lose in the first few turns.. well he'd being doing that forever, he'd never learn how to deal with the situations, he'd never see new tactics, he'd just start a game see his ratio start to fail and forfiet... the same is true to a lesser extent with experienced players. And more importantly when an experienced player forfeits a tough SA game to a new player he loses an opportunity to fight someone with solid tactical experience but at a handicap that allows him to see more strategies employed before the ultimate conclusion.

In addition to its stunting effect on the community, forfeiting games lessens the experience somewhat in my opinion. When my friends and I sit down to play a game of risk with random territories... people don't just drop out 2 moves in because they're scattered across the board and can't consolidate... they stick it out and everyone involved has a better time because of it.

If you don't want to change the ratings system thats fine, It just disturbs me a little to see that theres such an obsession with "skill" that a rating system is being implemented that actually discourages playing the game that its trying to measure. Thats just how I see it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:38 am 
Developer

[Here was a comment about an extra reason but it was self censored]

After a few months of this system being active I see one major drawback: the rate of decreasing the influence of older games seems to be rather low and the rankings are too static. Maybe there will be an extra rating where the value of matches will decrease 3-4 times faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:17 pm 
Levy

Is it just me or is it impossible to find yourself in the rating pages?
Not even the "all maps" rating is the same as the one you see in the game menu. I just dont get it.