Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Do you mind if player should be connected to server while making his turn?
it's OK 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
it's not good 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
it's unacceptable 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:02 pm 
Conscript

AI wrote:
Trust me. There are many good reasons. We can limit time you spend in game each turn (5 or 10 min + Pool for entire game(20-40 min), for example). So, you watch opponent turn, then you make your turn and he watches you. And many more...

Ouch - if such a time limit gets implemented, I hope it will be entirely optional (and not get very popular, frankly, as I'd have difficulties finding games then).

A large part of the reason MAN is the game that finally convinced me to play multiplayer (which I've avoided until now) is that I can take the turns at my pace, and when it suits me. If a game is a difficult situation, I can load it up, have a look, and postpone taking the actual turn until later. Or I can spend an hour thinking and making and unmaking moves until I think I've done as good as I can.

Generally, the whole having to stay connected strikes me as a bad feature. I'd prefer if things worked more or less as they do now, though with better ratings and opponent finding features (and more planets!).

If the game forces me to stay connected while it's running, and sends data back and forth occasionally, that would be rather annoying, as currently, I just leave the game running in a window from the morning until I go to bed, alt-tabbing to do my moves when I feel like it.

Please, if you have to implement this kind of feature, make it optional!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:12 pm 
Sea Wolf

it alrdy saysa bove taht it'll be optional. There are quite a few people who like you enjoy ahving a long time to think about their moves, but for a tournament setting that's not feasable as say a game lasts 2 months, with 6+rounds we're talking over a year for a game.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:11 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yes, this option will be great for tournaments and the Clan War. Imagine tourneys getting done within a reasonable time period. No more lagging Clan War battles. For casual play, it wouldn't be so good unless both players agreed to it and decided to play that way. After thinking and reading all these posts, I say it's a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:17 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yeah, true... with options like this you need a better way to challenge people/find games, as each option creates a vastly different game. A lot of people are interested in having more long term games, while others will be looking for short term games.

Right now the public challenges are good for long term games, as you specify your time limits, then wait for some people to accept. But for short term games (where you plan on finishing in an hour or two on a small planet using the connected interface) you'll want to be able to find someone right then to play. Chat might work to find someone, but it'd be better if the interface made it easy to pick up and find such a game... something like the tables setup in chess rooms where you start a table, specify your options, and wait for an opponent to join, or directly invite people that are currently online to play.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:11 am 
Sea Wolf

i would really like new players to be able to watch me make my turn and to be able to use the in-game chat to explain why i am doing things.

Post subject: Online play
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:54 am 
Tough Nut

Great idea. I hope it will be implamented soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:49 pm 
Options are always good, but i would be unhappy if i were forced to make my turns in a set time.

xcomcommander