Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Phantom Advantage
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:55 pm 
Levy

I feel there is a serious advantage given to the Phantom player on all maps, although more obvious on smaller maps. On any given front:

Building first gives you slightly more troops
Slightly more troops produce a slight damage advantage
Slight damage advantage compounds to being somewhat more troops
Somewhat more troops produce some damage advantage
Some damage advantage compounds to being more troops
More troops produce a damage advantage
A damage advantage compounds to being a massive troop advantage
Massive troop advantage compounds to being a massive damage advantage
Front overrun

I can typically get to "Front overrun" by 5 turns or so of fighting if I start with just a minor advantage. So far, the only thing that the Free Nations can do about it seems to be to give up the front slowly, in order to minimize the damage taken in that area. This works fine if the Free Nations player has a choice of another front to fight on. However, on the times when there are no other good fronts or the Phantom player opens by invading the starting Free Nation territories, it isn't viable to not fight.

So far it does not seem to be accepted that moving first is a significant advantage... I would like to see that changed. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:23 am 
P.L. Marshal

congratulations!you made a 101st topic with this name and same content...why dont you just read DOZENS of same topics here on forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:22 am 
Sea Wolf

Therefor Mrakobes has about 430 battles played as Phantom League and only about 150 as the Free Nations Union. :o
And he forfait from the clan war, because there you have to play also as F.N.U. Has Mrakobes joined any tournament? Oh, maybe he is not subscribed.?

My dear Mrakobes this problem about the P.L. going with this advantage is a huge problem. And your friends(also mine, I hope) developers should take it more seriously. If there are 101 threads about this problem, that means that there should be given un answer from the dev's. Whatever. They could write that it's unpossible to do anything about it, or help us to get to the right combination, or we'll do something, or lets try like this or like that, or whatever. But say something, do something. We love this game, and we want it to be more special and we want to help as we can.

So Mrakobes say something.

Thank you in advance.

Bye, bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:46 am 
P.L. Marshal

of course this is offtipic but.
i left the clan war at the time when i started playing MAPR beta version.I liked MAPR new units very much and after that i found basic MA\MAN to be not interesting for me to play (especially after i already been there for a year.).So now i play MAPR and dont even have MAN installed.That's why i not play clanwar (btw i would want to play if there were MAPR based clanwar and i am extremely annoyed by the fact that moderators not care enough to transfer clanwar to mapr format)
For same reason i not joined the MAN tournament - i just not interested in playing MA without MAPR features.
I participated in TGE inside-clan tournament which was MAPR based.
btw...when i was in clanwar i was a leader i had no problem making myself play PL if i wanted it this way - so there was not reason to leave.
so ...Antonio..what you say is total noncence.You just raving.You should know that i even wrote MAPR review...So go read it and get an idea that i have better things to do that playing old MAN.
Back to the "problem" - in any TBS game starting from chess somebody HAVE to go first.And maybe this gives advantage but there is no way to avoid it because this is not RTS.Plus as i already wrote multitude of times the advantage isnt so huge it works only in some starting positions favourable for PL (and there is enough examples how PL can be beaten even when they invade on first turn).
On this forum i seen several offers how to make PL weaker but i see those offers are wrong because they give to FNU much more advantage that PL'sfirst turn and those offers just break balance even more.
After all i believe this so called problem is already solved in MAPR where you disclose just one country not 2 at start and there are different sets of units.So it is possible to balance the advantages but there is no way to remove the fact that somebody goes first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:22 pm 
Sea Wolf

Mrakobes wrote:
After all i believe this so called problem is already solved in MAPR where you disclose just one country not 2 at start and there are different sets of units.So it is possible to balance the advantages but there is no way to remove the fact that somebody goes first.

That is one solution. Why not apply it to MAN. We are still playing and paying.

Bye, bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:11 am 
P.L. Marshal

it will be applied to MAN when MAN2 will be released (subscription same as MAN but with MAPR maps and units)

Post subject: I was about to start a new topic...
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:20 pm 
Levy

I was about to start a new topic... to complain about the PL advantage, but then I saw this one.

I have enjoyed playing MAN over the last few months, but I have decided to quit because of the PL advantage. I'm just tired of knowing (with about 70-80% confidence) who is going to win within the first turn or two.

I just had a challenge from WarChrisMA - a challenge where he had picked PL. Now he challenged me this way because I just played PL in a long game against him, which started from a "random" challenge. I can see that it would be fair enough that he should play PL this time - I just have no desire at all to start that game.

MAN is broken. I'm through with being patient.

Post subject: excuse me but
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:51 am 
Tough Nut

hey

and i say hey,

if you take a look at my stats you will see
won lost tie
f.n.u. 1002 90 1
P.L. 63 29 2

red may have a advantage but only i the player is smart enough to take advantage of it. sadly mmost players with less then 300 games played are not up to speed yet.

i prefer to play green, and let anyone else play red, if you need the advantage take it, and i will still give you a run for your money.

and to the whinning paying players i say neee!

and i say it again, neee!

life, be in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:45 pm 
Sea Wolf

truly.....take the challenge...!.....learn how to lose with ....GLORY!
this game is played with a general's view....which is far deeper than just batting heads.....try to trick the opponent......accept the worst f'n allotment and see what u CAN DO......take the challenge!.....It might be hard for cavemen like me, but play defensively....duh, CHARGE! :wink: