Massive Assault Official Forum
   
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:53 am 
I can't see what's so hard to understand about that post?

To summarize... I think he was basically saying that there is no argument for not having a good AI. Some people actually buy massive assault to primarily play missions/scenarios in singleplayer.

...seems Im definately not buying this game after all,... after having changed my mind one time already. None of the local shops where I live (In Finland) are selling the game. And only one single online shop in Finland has the game.

I doubt massive assault will be any hugh success, it's a good game but it seems to be extremly poorly distributed/advertised.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:49 am 
Offline
Developer

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 253
Karma: 0

Location: Wargaming.net
That's sad, but true. I've never imagine that it is possible to distribute/advertise a game in such poor way. Massive Assault is good enough game, not the best of course... But a lot of much worse games gas distributed/advertised and sold much better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:09 am 
Offline
Developer

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 338
Karma: 0

Location: Wargaming.net
Divvy wrote:
I can't see what's so hard to understand about that post?

To summarize... I think he was basically saying that there is no argument for not having a good AI. Some people actually buy massive assault to primarily play missions/scenarios in singleplayer.

...seems Im definately not buying this game after all,... after having changed my mind one time already. None of the local shops where I live (In Finland) are selling the game. And only one single online shop in Finland has the game.

I doubt massive assault will be any hugh success, it's a good game but it seems to be extremly poorly distributed/advertised.


Divvy, have you played the Demo?
It can be downloaded and played for free from Massive Assault's web site.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:29 am 
Yes I've played the demo, after hearing that you'll release a map/scenario editor later I'd really like to buy it.

However I don't like ordering games, have to pay the extra postal fee, and sometimes they screw up and send you the wrong game or something. If something's wrong with the game you have to send it back... once did that years ago and got nothing back in return.

Two other games I would have liked to buy, but never did cause they weren't available in local shops: Metal Fatigue and M.A.X. What do you know? Both games failed comercially besides being very good games (especially M.A.X).


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:31 am 
"despite being good games" that is, eh really should register a forum account so I could edit my posts.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:43 pm 
Offline
Conscript

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:00 pm
Posts: 13
Karma: 0

Location: Sweden
Please dont add moore units i have trouble using the ones there is, i think you would ruin the nice tactic and balanced game if you add to many units.
But you could add moore diffrent nations to choose beetwen but ofcourse with the same sort of units.

Just an opinion. (excuse my bad English).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: what i dislike is atmosphere
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:19 pm 
This game was a surprise for me. Nice rules, great balance, pretty graphics. BUT!

The game lacks atmosphere, first of all because of music and sound fx. They are for kids. From my point of view it would be great if the game's style was more "brutal". Something like Command & Conquer 1.

So, no girls saying "well done, general...", no "titanic-like" music. Only rock tracks mixed with some "anubis2" tracks plus radio transmissions instead of a dull girl.

I could change music myself, but i don't know how to deal with sounds - they are packed in .dat file...

P.S. 1. Everything I wrote was inspired by a demo. Didn't see the game's plot but I expect the worst. 2. Of course, everybody has its own taste but I'm simply bored with childish games filled with pathos (like Warcraft or C&C: Generals. Gameplay is ok but design made for kids).


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: what i dislike is atmosphere
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 am 
LightbringeR wrote:
This game was a surprise for me. Nice rules, great balance, pretty graphics. BUT!

The game lacks atmosphere, first of all because of music and sound fx. They are for kids. From my point of view it would be great if the game's style was more "brutal". Something like Command & Conquer 1.

So, no girls saying "well done, general...", no "titanic-like" music. Only rock tracks mixed with some "anubis2" tracks plus radio transmissions instead of a dull girl.

I could change music myself, but i don't know how to deal with sounds - they are packed in .dat file...

P.S. 1. Everything I wrote was inspired by a demo. Didn't see the game's plot but I expect the worst. 2. Of course, everybody has its own taste but I'm simply bored with childish games filled with pathos (like Warcraft or C&C: Generals. Gameplay is ok but design made for kids).


Umm...

After a long discussion with my parents, I managed to play games like Warcraft. They are NOT for kids. They were r8ed Teen for a reason. Did you drink some cans of cold ones or something?


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: what i dislike is atmosphere
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:54 am 
LightbringeR wrote:
This game was a surprise for me. Nice rules, great balance, pretty graphics. BUT!

The game lacks atmosphere, first of all because of music and sound fx. They are for kids. From my point of view it would be great if the game's style was more "brutal". Something like Command & Conquer 1.

So, no girls saying "well done, general...", no "titanic-like" music. Only rock tracks mixed with some "anubis2" tracks plus radio transmissions instead of a dull girl.

I could change music myself, but i don't know how to deal with sounds - they are packed in .dat file...

P.S. 1. Everything I wrote was inspired by a demo. Didn't see the game's plot but I expect the worst. 2. Of course, everybody has its own taste but I'm simply bored with childish games filled with pathos (like Warcraft or C&C: Generals. Gameplay is ok but design made for kids).


Umm...

After a long discussion with my parents, I managed to play games like Warcraft. They are NOT for kids. They were r8ed Teen for a reason. Did you drink some cans of cold ones or something?


Top
  
 
 Post subject: 2 guest
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:24 am 
2 Guest:

First of all, I don't drink. At all.

Second. I don't appreciate parents judging about the game on some "rating". Most of constraints about violence etc are quite ridiculous, so parents should see the game themselves and judge.

Lets look at "Saving private Ryan" and... "Kill Bill" for example. In both films there is blood, violence and so on. But when people watch "Kill Bill", they laugh. When they watch "Saving Private Ryan", they cry (not everybody, actually, but...). And "Forrest Gump" is rated "TEEN" but it is real serious adult movie. It has far greater influence on psyche than most of er... stuff. And when kids go to school and start shooting at their fellows, this is not because they played DOOM or something. This is because they had bad parents.

Admins, sorry for offtopic, but I still think the game lacks atmosphere :)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:26 am 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:20 pm
Posts: 85
Karma: 0

Location: Columbia Heights, MN USA
Atmosphere, shmatmosphere. I play games that are fun and/or challenge me to think. This game is fun and in MP requires a lot of thought. Is the music the best? Nope. Did I buy the game to listen to the music? Nope. The game play is well thought out and while nothing is perfect I enjoy this game a great deal. I also like the fact that like the people at Paradox the devs here are on the ball...reading what you say, providing help when needed and listening to suggestions for future patches or versions of the game. Bugs are limited and any that are more than very rare will hopefully be fixed in the upcoming patch. I've played over 40 MP games and only had one that locked up. I'll take that ratio any time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:16 pm 
Offline
Developer

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 338
Karma: 0

Location: Wargaming.net
Dracovius wrote:
Atmosphere, shmatmosphere. I play games that are fun and/or challenge me to think. This game is fun and in MP requires a lot of thought. Is the music the best? Nope. Did I buy the game to listen to the music? Nope. The game play is well thought out and while nothing is perfect I enjoy this game a great deal. I also like the fact that like the people at Paradox the devs here are on the ball...reading what you say, providing help when needed and listening to suggestions for future patches or versions of the game. Bugs are limited and any that are more than very rare will hopefully be fixed in the upcoming patch. I've played over 40 MP games and only had one that locked up. I'll take that ratio any time.


Thanks a lot Dracovius for your kind and warm words and for the loyalty...

:-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: hrrr!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:17 pm 
Hey, Dracovius, this topic is called "what i dislike", not "osanna to developers!".

If a game offers me nothing but thinking challenge, I'd better turn off my computer and go play chess. Or Go. Or whatever. For my eyes sake. What do computers exclusively can offer us is a combination of nice game mechanics, involving plot, eye candies, music that rocks and "playing convenience". This game has 3 of 5. Nice, but I want more :)

And, btw, if I didn't like Massive Assault, I wouldn't write all this stuff here. I would just pass by.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:40 pm 
Offline
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:20 pm
Posts: 85
Karma: 0

Location: Columbia Heights, MN USA
Hey Lightbringer, I don't know where you live but in America we can speak our minds regardless of the title of the forum message. You point out what you don't like, I point out what I do like. The beauty of computers is that they can offer us a number of different types of entertainment from which we can choose what we want to partake in. You can be as picky as you like and want it all. I can be satisfied with what they have to offer. We can both share our opinions in a format that others interested in the game, including devs, can see. You specifically addressed the music in the game as an issue for you. I shared that it wasn't an issue for me so they would hear a counter point. I'd like them to spend their time doing a lot of other things to make the game better before working the music. I could have started another thread ripping you and your points but what would that do, other than keeping this thread 100% on topic? I went with giving another perspective. I didn't say you suck, you don't know what you're talking about, go away game hater, etc. You gave an opinion, I gave mine. You want something changed, great. I like it the way it is, good for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What I dislike in Massive Assault
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:29 pm 
Divvy wrote:
I've probably played the demo world war maps (by changing the map file names) close to 10 times and it's starting to get dull.


So how do you rename the maps? I ordered the full game from Amazon but it won't be here for a week or two (free shipping is slow). :o


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: what i dislike is atmosphere
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:26 am 
LightbringeR wrote:
This game was a surprise for me. Nice rules, great balance, pretty graphics. BUT!

The game lacks atmosphere, first of all because of music and sound fx. They are for kids. From my point of view it would be great if the game's style was more "brutal". Something like Command & Conquer 1.

So, no girls saying "well done, general...", no "titanic-like" music. Only rock tracks mixed with some "anubis2" tracks plus radio transmissions instead of a dull girl.

I could change music myself, but i don't know how to deal with sounds - they are packed in .dat file...

P.S. 1. Everything I wrote was inspired by a demo. Didn't see the game's plot but I expect the worst. 2. Of course, everybody has its own taste but I'm simply bored with childish games filled with pathos (like Warcraft or C&C: Generals. Gameplay is ok but design made for kids).


Err. If you cannot be bothered to change the music properly then just turn it off in the options and then start up a media player in the background when you run the game and play music with that. If you use a decent player it won't affect performance noticably. I am just trying to show you there is a workaround for most problems. The reason for it not being brutal is so it would not get a high age rating which would mean less people would be able to buy it. If you want to change the music properly then just create a thread on it and I'm sure someone will be happy to provide you with a step by step guide of how to change it.
And why do you seem to have something against girls? Lol.
Besides I think the music is non-intrusive and doesn't get in the way of your thinking. I find that when I listen to my own music, usually very heavy stuff, my brain concenrates too much on the music.
I am not saying what you have said is wrong, you have reasons for your opinions and that is good. I am just saying that there is a reason for things being the way they are and many problems can be rectified.
Sorry for the overly long post:)


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Karma functions powered by Karma MOD © 2007, 2009 m157y