Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AI Vs. Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:40 am 
Sea Wolf

Having only played the demo, and read various reviews with reviewers getting whooped by the AI, and finding it a very impressive foe. What I was wondering is how the Hard AI compares to your average human player. I mean, do the average players eat it for breakfast, or is that something only the pros do?

Just wondering what sort of opposition awaits me when I have the full game :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:55 am 
P.L. Marshal

odd question...define me please what's an average player?
and what kind of games you mean? worldwars or scenario\campaign?
i am sure people who have at least sergeant or leutenant status in online list are able to beat AI easily in nearly all situation.
AI's actions are very easy to predict - it not uses transports - neither common nor naval
so it will never conduct a descent operation against you.
it not uses aircraft carriers and AI is generally unable to wage naval war properly.
AI also very bad in term of coordinating actions of his different allies.
AI can not fight rocket lauchers\annihilators - so they are ultimate weapon for beating AI to the ground (this refers no AI only not multiplayer)
considering all this it's VERY easy to beat AI having equal chances (in worldwar)
in HARD scenarios or in some campaign scenarios - fighting AI can be difficult because it of significant numerrical superiority. But it can will beaten anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:33 am 
Veteran

Yeah, hit the nail on the head with that one.
If you don't believe him, try that third scenario in the demo ("Back and Forth").

Its actually a lot easier to beat than you think. Just sit back with the rocket launchers.
Make sure to use all your forces to pummel only the units that enter your country. If you have excess firepower, then hit them in their country. Every turn, replenish your line of LAVs.
Remember, all it takes is one LAV and a missile launcher to take out a mortar.

Don't even need to invade Moscowgradia. In fact, that just makes it harder for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:22 am 
Sea Wolf

Mrakobes wrote:
odd question...define me please what's an average player?
and what kind of games you mean? worldwars or scenario\campaign?
i am sure people who have at least sergeant or leutenant status in online list are able to beat AI easily in nearly all situation.
AI's actions are very easy to predict - it not uses transports - neither common nor naval
so it will never conduct a descent operation against you.
it not uses aircraft carriers and AI is generally unable to wage naval war properly.
AI also very bad in term of coordinating actions of his different allies.
AI can not fight rocket lauchers\annihilators - so they are ultimate weapon for beating AI to the ground (this refers no AI only not multiplayer)
considering all this it's VERY easy to beat AI having equal chances (in worldwar)
in HARD scenarios or in some campaign scenarios - fighting AI can be difficult because it of significant numerrical superiority. But it can will beaten anyway.

Doesn't use the transporters? That's a bit of a disappointment... guess I'll have to rely on online games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:36 pm 
Developer

Quitch wrote:
Doesn't use the transporters? That's a bit of a disappointment... guess I'll have to rely on online games.

Currrenly - yes, the A.I. does not use transports.

But we keep working on that issue. The transports are now operating on our company's secret test-grounds....

;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:51 pm 
Sea Wolf

I look forward to that. I do love AIs :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:08 pm 
P.L. Marshal

Quitch wrote:
I look forward to that. I do love AIs

if you love AI's challenge player named AI online :D surely you won't like it unless you like being beaten :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:19 pm 
Sea Wolf

I realise that some people love multiplayer above all else, and some, such as yourself, love it to such an extent that they come onto the forum and beat the AI down in words whenever they can.

Myself, I find a certain relaxed satisfaction in AI games. The lack of competition is half the draw... competition in the emotional sense. Sometimes I don't want to put it all on the line and fight tooth and claw to win.

I will find my way online, and will get a few games going, but that will never stop me offline gaming.

Not to mention that an offline game doesn't need to wait for opponent responses. They happen there and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:26 pm 
Sea Wolf

Quitch wrote:
I will find my way online, and will get a few games going, but that will never stop me offline gaming.

Don't be so sure of that! I decided to go online after beating the scenarios, and planned on returning for the campaigns later. I haven't yet even touched the campaigns yet! I'm having too much fun getting my booty kicked around online! And once you have enough games going, there are always turns to play, no need to wait.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:01 am 
Sea Wolf

Yes, but people say that with every game that can be played online... it never happens :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:13 am 
Conscript

I too like the relaxed "no pressure" feel of single-player. I am probably going to play the campaigns before I even test out the online play. And personally, I do not WANT a bunch of games goping. I want to just focus on my ONE game. But at the same time I do not want to wait forever as my opponent does something else...