Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: from the laptop of xzanth...a few musings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:23 pm 
Tough Nut

hey guys and gals,

just love that game.

in order for me to feel the frustration of the newbis, and other players, i have taken the task upon myself to repeatedly uninstall, delete, reboot, re-download, and reinstall m.a.n. every couple of days. i have done this, so should a error pop up, i can in effect go over-thru the same hurdles that they might have to go thru themselves.

now, that being said. i have a few suggestions and questions. yes questions, shows that im not infallible.

suggestion, Players, this is a Turn-based game. do not come on expecting Command and Conquer.

players, make sure your computer has at least 64megs of ram, im running 128.

players, defrag your hard drive now and then, im running xp, and i still manually defrag the hard drive.

new players, hint, place 2 tanks behind a transport, get in move transport, unload transport, that is your move, when you buy units make sure to look at the movement allowed, units that move more then 1 hex, are good for invasion. on transports.

players, run scan disc and defrag while you are at school/work/asleep, so that you dont waste time, instead of playing against me.

all your fancy geoforce cards and pent4 overdrives wont matter much in this game against a laptop, but it helps for the players that have the video eye candy turned to max, its also helpful if you have some good stereo hookup, sure you can play on koss headphones, but why just win the game....when you can rock the neighborhood!!!

on the other hand if your game is lagging, try turning the eye candy down and experiment with the settings, sure i play on a laptop and i have most of the stuff low or off, but the game is still fun for me.

now a few hmm dumms

with the new main download 201 and the new man map pack and with the new patch, the game hangs, and i get blue screen of death.
so i go to the web site, click on the support page, i follow the instructions, and i scroll down to the bottom to make sure i read all the instructions. then i link the files as required and i send it in.

so, then while waiting i uninstall, delete all, reinstall 201, new man map pack, and play the game, play a brimstone map, and the game hangs, so i goto the web site.......same as above.

so then while waiting, i uninstall, delete all, reinstall 201, and then spend a few hours looking for the link for the man_map_pack_beta, and cannot find the file(because im a idiot and deleted it from my backup file), which ran ok for me...(this file is the map pack without brimstone)...and for me quickly becoming the root of all evil( i play this map rarley, and thing that the novelty of being able to run over the weeds-trees is interesting tho gives the player a false sence of security since they can be run over, and durrng setup the oppent might forget that they are not really a hinderance lilke trees.)

ok, still and all, great game guys, now a few questions.

1. where is a location that lists all the files available?

2. can i still get the man_map_pack_beta.exe(this file worked great for me, and i would prefer to play it without brimstone)?

3. when players post ideas and concepts to the website that are counter to how things are.... really try to listen and not flame them. i see some sarcasm and flamming over simple stuff.

4. if possible could someone make a voice over(a guy), and add it to the game as a option download, for the people to choose between them, people like to custom configure thier games, give them more options.

5. the game has some great music, can you make the music files as option download from the website usable for windows, realplayer, whatever?

6. im really enjoying being able to log in, spend a few hours makin turns and logging off, please advise the new players, that if they want quick rank to select games of 1 day between turns, as most players will hit this thinking quick gains/games but not realise that if they dont log in the next day, that game is over, also there should be a way to check in the oppenents wanted if a game is set to 1,3,7,14, if you could can you make this information availabe in game..... i dont want to win 30 games just because players timed out, id rather crush them...:)

7. the better the player the better the game, if possible, players should be able to get colors based of gameplay... if the are blitz players... give them red...sorta like warning to others.... blue for a slow warmup,,,red for transport killers.....white for airstrike... not sure where this is going ...just a idea.

ok, even with a few minor software frustrations, its still up to the player to clean off the plate, before adding more stuffing, if you keep your computer running ok, defrag,scandisk, and maybe zonealarm, and heck use your taskmanager to get the processes down to 17 or less tasks, you should be able to play the game..and win!

see you in game.(my computer should be done defragging by the time you read this) heh

life, be in it.

Post subject: Re: from the laptop of xzanth...a few musings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:18 pm 
Veteran

xzanth wrote:
5. the game has some great music, can you make the music files as option download from the website usable for windows, realplayer, whatever?

I don't know about MAN, but in MA the music files exists as "Massive Assault\Data\<planetname>.ogg". Listening to one right now. 8)

xzanth wrote:
7. the better the player the better the game, if possible, players should be able to get colors based of gameplay... if the are blitz players... give them red...sorta like warning to others.... blue for a slow warmup,,,red for transport killers.....white for airstrike... not sure where this is going ...just a idea.

A bit far-fetched, but Interesting. :) Mayhaps colours based on play statistics: players preferring 22% more rocket launchers than the average player are marked red?

Post subject: Re: from the laptop of xzanth...a few musings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:37 pm 
Developer

xzanth wrote:
2. can i still get the man_map_pack_beta.exe(this file worked great for me, and i would prefer to play it without brimstone)?

You may download it from
http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com/do ... k_beta.exe
and use without any problems if you don't need the Brimstone.

xzanth wrote:
4. if possible could someone make a voice over(a guy), and add it to the game as a option download, for the people to choose between them, people like to custom configure thier games, give them more options.

If you want to make your own voice over we'll give you original wav-files and texts which you may re-record :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:57 am 
Sea Wolf

Hey, I like that idea, one of my female friends has a really good voice.

Post subject: voice overs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:04 pm 
Tough Nut

hey thanks

dennis leary has a lot of snippet text, as well as one liners from many movies, with the files that you provide, i will be able to make or about a 100 differnt versions or so and then post them to the forums for people to use as they will, and they can make and post them as well.....heck i can even make a tele tubbie version...hah.

thanks for providing this, so that we may add to or remove the spoken language, heck, im sure that the people in other contries will enjoy using this in thier own language as well.

thanks!

life, be in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:45 am 
Developer

http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com/do ... Sounds.exe

It is an self-extracting archive with all in-game voice-overs. Contact me when you'll made a remake of it and I will make an alternative voice-over patch for MA/MAN.

Also you may try place music you like in "data" folder. It should be in ogg-format. After that edit music.ini file to insert here your music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:57 am 
Sea Wolf

Sweet! Thanks guys.

EDIT: Heh, some stuff in here I haven't heard yet, I like the way she says "Loser!"