Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do new computer games seem to have a lot more bugs?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:45 pm 
Levy

I am beginning to think that something fundamental has changed in the way computer games are written.

I have been buying and playing computer games from (well, lets just say that I think I can still dig up a copy of Ultima 1 somewhere). And I am seriously thinking about only buying console games from now on.

out of the last 10 games that I have bought 2, have been fine, (Locomotion, War Hammer 40K, 3 have had tactical problems that make playing them almost pointless (like the missile defense bug in Masters of Orion 3),1 has been so slow as to make me wonder what they are running it on (Strong hold 2), and for of them have been so buggy that even after patching they are unplayable (Shadow Vault, and unfortunately this game).

I don't remember having these kind of problems with the older games like wing commander.

I can understand that the games source code has grown so large, that requires different tools and methods. I find it frustrating how many games never become truly functional as support for the product disappears before even half of the bugs are fixed.

I was really impressed with this game and really look forward to playing it. But when I can't even finish the tutorials because the game crashes when trying to disclose allies, it's pretty much an indication of lack of testing.

I also find the lack of comment about some of these bugs to be disturbing. Has this game reached the point where it is more profitable to put your resources on developing the next game as apposed to fixing this one.

I really like playing tactical computer games, but the amount of bugs I keep encountering is making me seriously consider only purchasing Console games, as I they seem to have a better Track record with bugs. I am not sure if that’s because you can't patch them as easily, or something different in the deliverable goals.

Does anyone else have these problems, or have I just been extremely unlucky in my game selections.

I guess I wouldn't be as depressed if I didn't actually wait for some of these games to come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:18 pm 
P.L. Marshal

if you make such posts...maybe you should describe your computer specifications...what CPU and RAM and videocard you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:05 am 
Conscript

It seems there's no difference in video or memory specifications for game crashing, 'cause all players have same hang troubles with it...

My spec : P4 3000, GF Fx 5900XT (61.77), WinXP SP2 - if it will help you(i'll be very happy if techsupport is still alive)

Original MA has troubles with hotseat game and when i bought Domination it was hope, that this game will be stable...

Короче ребята, надежда, что вы слабаете патч все еще теплится, Акелла, думаю попырому его под русскую версию переделает, так что ждем-с

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm 
Levy

I totally agree with you Joe. I made a post about this situation and I have yet to get a reply from any of the devs or someone who is involved and has firsthand knowledge of the situation.

It's silly (and should be embarassing for the devs for ditching support for MA and putting all resources into a new game, which seems to me to suffer the same fate as MA) that the MA Dominiation community doesn't get any feedback from the devs for a fairly new game that needs serious fixing while leaving MA unpatched and left to rot.

This isn't professional. I wouldn't be supprised to see this company go under if this behavior continues. Oh well, my money will just have to go elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:15 am 
Developer

Hello,

Let me point out that all technical and gameplay issues on Domination should be forwarded to DreamCatcher and only then guys from DreamCatcher should direct them to devs from Wargaming.net. Such long process makes many claimed bugs even don't reach us.

Another problem is that those of you who tries reach us directly don't know exactly which information we need to get the bug fixed. For Massive Assault we created quite comprehensive page to post bugs: http://www.massiveassault.com/support.php and for Domination you shall create alike description of bug and attach bug_report.gz which is created after you run bug_report.exe from the directory where the game installed.

Domination website being maintained by the guys from DreamCatcher and they don't seem to pay much attention on it since the release of the game. Moreover, they even didn't updated pages with recent patches from us, which fortunately Strategy Informer did:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/downloads/domination.shtml

Actually, developers keep working and fixing claimed bugs all the time since the release of the game. However, the release of patches totally depends on publisher and they take decision when to release them. If you want to speed up the process, makes sure to reach their support team directly and post your feedback for Domination on their support forums.

Патч 149-ый мы слобали и передали в Акеллу. Они его сейчас усиленно тестируют и есть вероятность, что в ближайшие недели он выйдет. Пока доступен только 127-ой для России и 136 для всех остальных.

Best Regards,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:37 am 
Levy

I thank you for your response and your honesty in replying to us. :D

Thank you very much, as now I will get Dream Catcher's attention on this matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:29 pm 
Tough Nut

Do you have an email address we could give them crap at? Something needs to be done. This is rediculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:22 am 
Developer

You can submit post on their forum at:
http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/forums/

Requests for support should be submitted at:
http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/support/index.php

Best Regards,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:52 pm 
Tough Nut

Their forum is dead and they haven't responded to other posts about Domination yet.
Example? http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24890

They've also ignored both emails I have sent through that sad Tech Support form.
(Loacated here since the link you game is more of a... ummm... not what I was looking for.)
http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/forms/tech_support.php

If one of the devs could contact me at acetken@gmail.com , I'd try to see if I could spur the community to do something more. I hope they're as frustrated with the publisher as we are and decide to do something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:41 am 
Conscript

Nick_WN, а насколько долго времени займет у Акеллы тестирования патча? и нельзя ли его выложить где нибудь в обход Акеллы, пока они не выпустят? А то играть прям невозможно, мало того, что игра выдает ошибку каждые минут 10, так еще и настройки звука с музыкой(которая на моем SB Live 5.1 глючит:(( ) сбрасываются в опциях каждый раз...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:15 am 
Developer

Mervin,

Судя по описанию проблема у вас наверно на хардверном уровне и если ваша версия не пиратская - то ее можно решить и без патча. Посмотрите рекомендации в мануале и следуйте приведенным там инструкциям, если не поможет - пишите подробно на vadim@wargaming.net.

В обход Акеллы мы патч не можем выпустить, поскольку все защищено Старфорсом и Акелла занимается интеграцией защиты в патчи.

С Уважением,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:11 am 
Conscript

Спасибо за ответ, и если не сложно, ответьте мне пжалста на последний вопрос :))

Можете ли вы сказать список добавлений/исправлений в сто сорок девятом билде, чтоб хоть русские знали, чего ждать? %)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:07 am 
Developer

Hello Mervin,

Полный список будет приведен по выходу патча. В основном мелкие правки по Интернет-части и небольшие улучшения по геймплею.

С Уважением,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:52 am 
Conscript

Не удержусь и задам еще вопрос, может быть не к этому относится, но нафига плодить новые темы...

Я слышал что-то, что в MA:PR интернет-игра активируется всего лишь на несколько месяцев, а потом придется платить, это правда?
И еще - у Акеллы на сайте ушла на золото Сетевые Войны - это что MAN? за интернет игру тоже придется в ней платить?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:26 am 
Conscript

Mervin wrote:
Я слышал что-то, что в MA:PR интернет-игра активируется всего лишь на несколько месяцев, а потом придется платить, это правда?
И еще - у Акеллы на сайте ушла на золото Сетевые Войны - это что MAN? за интернет игру тоже придется в ней платить?

Если у тебя буржийская версия МА:ПР'а, то прийдется платить. А Сетевые войны это как MAN, только для экс-СССР, тоже платный. Хотя плату обещают меньше чем за MAN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:18 am 
Developer

Hello Mervin,

Вижу вы следите за новостями:-)

MA:PR будет бесплатен в своей игре по интернет, мы решили отказаться от денег за игру в онлайн чтоб поднять вэлью ритейл версии на Западе.

Сетевые Войны - это МАН следующего поколения, первым выходит в России. Он только онлайн-ориентированный и купленный в розничной сети диск будет давать месяц подписки. Потом можно будет продлевать оплачивая в МТУ-Интел или купив еще один диск. Сейчас работает бета-сайт massiveassault.ru - на следующей неделе запустим финальный сайт с исчерпывающей информацией о проетке.

С Уважением,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:38 am 
Conscript

Nick_WN, огромное спасибо за ответы!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:39 pm 
Tough Nut

... What? Is this relevant? If it is, can we get the gist?

P.S. They still haven't written back whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:59 am 
Developer

Above posts are only in regard to Russian version of the game.
We also don't have reply from publisher on patches issue by now.

Regards,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:13 pm 
Tough Nut

I'd just like to call attention to the newly updated patch page. Yay. My incessant badgering paid off.
http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/su ... es/dom.php

Now all we need is a patch that FIXES the game, and then we're set!