Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Small but nice gameplay improvements
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:31 am 
Tough Nut

I have some gameplay improvements, which would be nicely and might be not that hard to implement (no must-bes, but certainly improvements for a smoother gameplay).
So lets make this great game even greater!! :D

- coloring the coastal fields of all countries in another blue color while having the strg-option on.
I guess allmost everybody made a mistake here in his career and knows why I would like this improvement ;)

- while in alt+x marking ALL fields with the current distance somehow, would improve this great tool even further

- when you press F4, I've never understood why this map-view snaps back by itself, so the option makes itself practically useless.. :evil:

4. A bigger and im my eyes important change:
- adding another dynamic chesstimer for no-tournament-games, as it was discussed before. I understand that we need it how its currently is for tournaments, but all people I know don't use it for regular games, where it would be of great benefit.
The reason is, because you have no minimum time-intervall for your turns(like 24h) before your time starts to drop. If you had it like that you don't need to fear a time-out if the game is intense and needs many turns as you will always havey your 24h to make your turn. In the same way you could even afford to be unavailable for one or two weeks(depending on the extra chess-time), as long you can make your turns on a daily base afterwards.

This would:
- add great flexibility for making your turns
- people don't get disadvantages for certain time-zones or special playing times as it is with the current chess-timer
- make it impossible for players stretch games intentional over many months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:23 pm 
Tough Nut

5. Greater Zoom out limit. It is not always possible to see all the red threat circles. Especially with all the clutter now on the screen.

Post subject: my thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:30 pm 
Veteran

Not only gameplay improvements but I didn't want to start a new thread.

6. Messages
Sending a message should be available in "Games" and "Challenges" tabs too - now I have to go to "Personal Challenge" tab and search the player I want to send a message to

7. Cameras
I would like to see at least one additional camera like it's realized with the F4 button but it should be possible to play! in this view too. What about a South -> North camera with a 70 degree angle and zoomed out max? If I alter this camera it should stay there till I reset it to default. The F5 button would be nice for this option.

BTW there is a bug in the game concerning the camera. If a player sends me an ingame message the camera changes to his camera viewpoint and stays there. I have to change it every time I get an ingame message.

8. Replays menu requires overhaul as it was mentioned here:
http://www.massiveassault.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2882
A "turn line" would be nice!

9. Double challenges
This option was available in the web interface of MAN and I would like to see it in MAN2 too.

10. In addition to the Victory Bonus it would be nice to see how many points I lose if I lose the game.

11. Draw/Void (unofficial) games was polled here:
http://www.massiveassault.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3346
Please implement this void feature.

Last edited by Morn on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:42 am 
Veteran

12. Cyrillic letters with german keyboard layout
The Umlaut like д,ц and ь doesn't work in chat. All german players with a german keyboard layout get cyrillic letters instead. It's a bit annoying. Please fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:08 am 
Sea Wolf

I strongly 2nd the idea of knowing how many points you will lose if you are defeated in a game and something needs to be done to bring the win/loss point thing more inline with each other. If you are a general and play a captain it seems fairly absurd to me that your victory bonus may be around 10 points while you will lose perhaps 3 or 4 hundred if you are defeated. I have said this before and will say it again--if a beats b and b beats c --this is not a accurate indication that a will beat c. It may work in chess because the "map" and starting layout are always the same, but it does not work in this game due to the map and layout constantly changing.
One other thing, is it possible to watch someone's game and look at the parts of the map you wish to look at without constantly being jerked back to the location where one of the players is making a move?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:03 am 
Veteran

storm440 wrote:
One other thing, is it possible to watch someone's game and look at the parts of the map you wish to look at without constantly being jerked back to the location where one of the players is making a move?

It's my wish for the final version too.

14. No air units should be able to fly thru the zone protected by the AA units as it's discussed here recently: http://www.massiveassault.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5280

15. I would like to see something like this in chat tab when I mouse over the eye to view a game:
"Click to view player's game on 'Trinity' map vs. player 'storm440' turn #12"

or shortened

"Click to view player's game (Trinity/storm440/#12)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:43 am 
Sea Wolf

There is, I suppose, a different way to look at AA units. Since they do not have an attack, it is possible to view them as a sort of land based energy shield tha simply protects the area around the AA unit. As such, it would have no power to stop units from flying over it. The problem with this shield idea is that if it works against air based units it should also protect against ground based fire as well--which it does not.. While it does sound logical that if air units can not "take off" if they are in the protected AA area that they also should not be able to "fly over" the protected area, but if this were implemented the power of the AA unit would go up exponentialy--you could place a couple near your border and not only would they protect the area around them but they would also keep planes from flying over them, thereby protecting everything in the interior of your country as well. I doubt that this is what the devlopers had in mind when they created the AA unit and if it did have this type of protective power the cost would have to be much more that 3 or the game could become quite unbalanced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:12 pm 
Veteran

Obviously there is a misunderstanding. I didn't mean that an AA unit should prevent a Bomber or a Transport Copter to fly over it.

This is the unit description for the Anti-air Truck (and of course it's the same for a Pteroshield):

MAN2 Unit Gallery wrote:
The Anti-air Truck creates an energy shield covering itself and 6 neighboring spots. This shield is impenetrable for enemy aviation and helicopters. Besides its normal usage - covering friendly troops from air strikes, the Anti-air Truck combined with a transport unit can be used as a 'mobile trap' for enemy aviation or helicopters. Neither Pteroplanes nor Transport Copters can take off from the spots or cities covered by the energy shield. Anti-air Truck's shield does not function when loaded into any transport unit, but it does function when loaded onto a Battle Platform (which can move both on land and sea). Thus you can create an extremely effective mobile anti-carrier shield, which can give your fleet a decisive advantage. However, remember that the Anti-air Truck is very vulnerable to both close combat units and long-range artillery.

To put it straight I made a screenshot. My Air Transport just unloaded a tank within a supposed to be shielded area. That shouldn't be possible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:57 pm 
Veteran

Quoted from here:
http://www.massiveassault.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5280

Tryptamon wrote:
Yes, even though it isn't intuitive, the chopper dosn't move. The animation shows the chopper taking off and leaving, but it really doesn't. It is always the transported unit that pays with movement points! But this looks cooler...

Ah, I see. Nevertheless it's confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:38 am 
Veteran

16. I can't create a replay in offline mode. Why that? I think it was possible in Domination.

17. After restoring a profile all finished games are gone and with it the possibility of creating replays.

18. Web Interface
MAN2 is the successor of the classic MAN. MAN2 should be better in all parts. Please relaunch the website where only registered players can login and view their game stats in detail. It was an extraordinary feature of MAN and I would really appreciate this for MAN2 too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:28 am 
Veteran

19. Custom Unit Set

What if we could make our own unit sets;
For example, in a game a player has set the total number of unit-types available to 10. Then before entering the game each side will choose which units to include in their own set.

This would bring back the "charm" of using different sets since it now will be free for all.

It could result in armies of very different makeup...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:17 pm 
Conscript

Tryptamon wrote:
19. Custom Unit Set

What if we could make our own unit sets;
For example, in a game a player has set the total number of unit-types available to 10. Then before entering the game each side will choose which units to include in their own set.

This would bring back the "charm" of using different sets since it now will be free for all.

It could result in armies of very different makeup...

That sounds interesting.

My add-ons for the final are pretty simple:

1. When issuing a public challenge, change default setting from side:FNU to side:RANDOM. I think this is preferred setting for most players.

2. I like the idea of knowing whether a beach front hex is approachable from the sea. While I loathe having redownload the entire map pack to accommodate this, it would be an improvement. Beach front areas could have some subtle black hash marks or something.

3. As stated in another, somewhat controversial thread, I'd prefer it if when trapping an enemy transport helicopter, it is indeed trapped and unable to load/unload. I think that if you're crafty enough to catch your opponent in such a situation, you should get the benefit of freezing both units, until such time as the AA is destroyed.

4. The main menu system is nice, but there is room for improvement. I don't care for the "such & such has joined your game" pop up box and the instant private chat box that was incorporated in the latest patch. Those two improvements could be removed. Additionally, new players continue to ask "How do I play a game?" Perhaps you could have a pop up box for newly registered players which helps them get started?

5. With regards to new players, they will be the life blood of your business. You need to attract them, keep them hooked, and get them to upgrade. With that said, spending some additional effort on the tutorials would be a wise investment. In the current tutorials: get rid of the fancy camera angles -- they're just confusing. Expand on the lessons w/ some of the reasoning behind the scenes. Perhaps add on a couple of set open ended scenarios like in the original MA or DOM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:38 pm 
Veteran

Hello Nick, artmax and those who are working on the final release of M.A.N. 2. Are you reading this thread?

I would really appreciate some feedback on things mentioned here like the web interface is too extensive and too expensive therefore we have no plans for M.A.N. 2 and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 am 
Developer

Hello,

We're certainly reading this thread and already implemented some improvements in the latest build (which is still under development).

Web interface was a nice feature in MAN1, but we tried to make MAN2 such a game that would not require players to login at the website so that they could get all info straight from the version. Only 10% of players used web interface in MAN1. But we might bring it back with some changes in January.

Like CSW said we need to make some changes to get new players hooked with game. And now we concentrated on polishing interface for internet play - the current system of folders is not intuitive, and even some reviewers can't figure out how to start games.
We added feature that will save all your previous settings when issuing new game/challenge. Also, we will remove watermark to not irritate trial players and let them access all timing options and chess-clock. Trials will only have major limitations: only 1 planet, Demo units set and rank not higher than Lieutenant.

Hope the new demo version, that will follow official release in few weeks, shall work fine together with intensive ad campaigns.

Thanks for your ideas,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:15 am 
Sea Wolf

Nick, when the final version is released, is there still going to be a one time price for life time membership to new members or was this a feature that only the beta players will have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:36 am 
Developer

Yes, we've changed the price policy so that it will be one time payment for lifetime membership if purchased as digital download.

As for retail stores, we're not certain yet and consider various options.

Post subject: Clan Wars
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:56 am 
Sea Wolf

Is there Clan Wars in the up coming release? or is that something that will come later? (if at all)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:05 pm 
Developer

Clan Wars system appeared to be much harder for impelementing than we expected initially. We need to "populate" MAN2 with many active players (1000+) to start testing the system and offer to try them with patch.

We hope that it will be possible to do in spring 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:11 pm 
Sea Wolf

There should be something done to improve capablities of AA units...which make them a true threat to every copter and doesn't allow them to thumb their noses and drop of passengers and fly right through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:15 pm 
Tough Nut

I was going to start a new thread, but I see this one already has activity. So here are a couple requests from a new, enthusiastic Trial Player (who is anticipating upgrading in the near future):

20. When the hex grid is displayed via the CTRL key, keep it displayed until CTRL is pressed again! Some players (of whom I am one) prefer to play with the grid displayed at all times, and having to repeatedly press the CTRL key to display the hex grid is annoying.

21. Change the "Accept Draw" button to more accurately describe its function - perhaps "Accept/Decline Draw" would be appropriate. I know this has been mentioned in another post.

I also strongly support the idea of informing the player how many points he or she can expect to gain or lose as a result of performing an action, such as accepting a draw or losing a match.

And as an aside, thank you to the developers for creating such a great game! I'm looking forward to becoming a Lifetime Member in the near future.

heihojin