Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: surrender protocol?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:30 pm 
Tough Nut

Is it considered good form to surrender when it is clear all is lost or should one fight on until the bitter end?

Post subject: Re: surrender protocol?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:19 pm 
Veteran

Matt Helm wrote:
Is it considered good form to surrender when it is clear all is lost or should one fight on until the bitter end?

Good question. I have wondered the same on occasion but have never seen the issue discussed. As for me, once Im sure the cause is lost I surrender unless, for some strange reason, I hang in just to let the other guy have some fun. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:49 pm 
Sea Wolf

Personally, I usually surrender when I know that I can not win (depends on the state of the game and the opponent).

I have noticed that some players like to drag it out until the bitter end - and usually take their sweet time doing it - probably something to do with the loss of points (in skill based system)

You all know who you are.... ;)

I don't mind either way - but my personal view is - if I can't win, and I can't learn anything from continuing the game- then whats the point - life is too short to spend hours figuring out how to make a loss last longer.

My rule of thumb - treat people and situations - the way you would like to be treated. If you prefer for your opponent to fight to the death, then you should also fight to the death.

If you prefer your opponent to surrender honourably - then you should do the same.

Having said all that - be DAMM sure you can't win before surrendering. If there is even a little bit of hope left - you should see it out for a few more turns - then if it gets hopeless = make you decision then

Post subject: Honourable Surrender
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:43 pm 
Sea Wolf

Right on!
The Golden Rule rules!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm 
Sea Wolf

The only golden rule i know of is:He who has the gold makes the rules!
To Ravermister:all who have played you in the past and who play you now are not dragging out the seaming lost games--we are just hopeing that you will revert to the old "shoot first, think 2nd" stratigy that you use to employ :wink: I long for the good old days before you became as good as you are now :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 pm 
Sea Wolf

Matt Helm:
If you want to act with integrity and a sense of honor, that is a worthy goal.
We have all had different experiences and hold various sets of Values.
When I do "the right thing" then I become better. :D
You very likely understand fair play. 8)
Regardless of what others say or do, I seek to act with integrity.
In the course of these games, it is easy to become angry, frustrated, and even pouty. :roll:
It is worthwhile to wrestle with ourselves when we become petty and wrong. :oops:
I, for one, usually surrender when the reason for fighting is gone. :x
Some players would rather delay and not take their turns, leaving it up to you to "time them out". :o
It's all good. Let them do what they want.
As for me and my house.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:57 am 
Sea Wolf

T Rex it was a joke :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:41 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yes, mighty Storm!
Yea and verily, the gist did not escape me.
However, I thought to give vent to my hot air.
Once, in days of olde, I did make much chatter in these halls.
Remember, we smashed headlong into one another in an ancient post!
Merry Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:05 pm 
Sea Wolf

Ah, but the smashing of heads created a lasting friendship and i, for one, am glad about it! Merry Christmas to you T-Rex--go forth and create carnage on the battlefield (just not in our games) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 am 
Sea Wolf

My venting was actually not aimed at you Sorm440 - althoug our game did last over 200 days. It was aimed at the folk who play games turn after turn on a daily basis - until they know they have lost - then they take their sweet time hoping the nightmare will go away if they ignore it.

I have no problem with people who prefer to take their games more slowly and mull over a move in which there is still a chance (even until your recent surrender - you still had many chances - it was a close fought battle).

No - my swipe was at the games where its over 50% in my favour and all of the sudden it takes 14 days to make each move - its too obvious and tedious for my liking - but its within the rules - so what can I do (just don't go a second over - or BAMMM - timeout..... although I prefer not to because then I have to live with the guilt of using the timeour funciton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:51 am 
Sea Wolf

only 200???? I have a game going with T-Rex that was started 643 days ago :wink: I thought i had a chance in our game as long as you kept attacking--when you pulled back and started waiting for your reinforcements the game became a hopeless cause :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28 am 
Sea Wolf

Yes, Herr Ravermeister-Schnitzel!
Might as well get it off your chest. :)
More off-topic :
There have been some "interesting" players come down the pike.
One fine fellow and new player....requires to make up special rules for his(?) games.
Playing w/special rules can be interesting and fun.
However, if a player chooses, upon the request, not to abide by said rules, then the only real option is to play by the standards. 8)
I received 5 points when he became timed out, since he refused to play!
Maestro Storm:
Will our epic extend past the 2-years mark?
Truly it will be a legendary record-maker.
Much fun and almost a pleasant surprise for me. Almost because it still ain't over!
BTW: Is this becoming the Raver/Storm/T-rex chatbox? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:54 pm 
Sea Wolf

Storm - the only reason I had to wait for reinforcements is because you were bunkered down like 300 Spartans holding down a small gorge - you are the master of defense and any I have been caught out before in "easy kill"scenarios which all of the sudden turned nasty.

T-Rex - Yes indeed - this a 3 way chatterbox but probably beacuase we are the only 3 left who actually use this forum (not really true - there are others - but it has been quite dead in the past few months).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

how many post do I have to make to become a sea wolf - veteran sounds so old and crusty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:06 pm 
Sea Wolf

Maybe 200?
or 213....
ALSO:
I bet you didnt expect such a quick surrender from me the other day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:47 pm 
Sea Wolf

"Master of defense" I really like the sound of that :wink: Unfortunatly, I am not such a great "Master of attack"-- that title must go to Pitor, Ahgpeu, Ravermister , Morn, cptx and Placid, to name a few of the best (there are many others so i hope no one feels slighted because i left them out)
I think T Rex is in the ball park with the 200 number for sea wolf--I wonder how many are need to get to the next level after that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 am 
Sea Wolf

El Tigre is Supreme Marshall with 1693 posts.
Veteran would make more sense with a greater instead of smaller number of posts, as a person who has been there and done that.
Sea Wolf sounds like a U-Boat thing.
How about titles like these?:
1-100 posts: Private Fetus
101-200: Corporal Poopy-Pants
201-300: Sergant Whazzup my Shnizel?
301-400: Getting to know you....
401-500: Major Time-on-my-hands
501-600: General Malaise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:33 am 
Conscript

Does making the game go longer effect your score in the skill based system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:01 pm 
Sea Wolf

yes--you need to complete a certain number of moves to get a 100% score -- the number is different for small med large ect. size maps. But after you reach that number of moves for 100% you do not get more points no matter how many turns you complete. Also, the number of turns needed is not very large, perhaps 8 to 10 for a extra large map and less for the smaller maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:19 am 
Sea Wolf

let me get this right - if I am playing one of the top 10 players - and I get crappy secret allies

OR

They do a really good move in the first couple of rounds

Is it true that if I surrender in round 2 - that I will lose LESS points that if I try to win and then finally lose....

For a skill based scoring system - sureley winning in 2 turns is worth MORE? (and you should lose MORE for giving up so soon). Especially if the opponent is of equal or close ranking.

I thought the % thing for the number of turns was just for the Experinece Ranking system - not skill ranking system.

For all the games I have currently going - the number of points that I get for a win is about the same for turn 1 through to turn 10???