Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Options for AI Opponents
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am 
Levy

Hello Community,

i am new to MAN2 and this is my first post, therefore i hope you don’t blame me for the following questions which maybe were asked before, but which i hadn’t found while looking through the forum.

First i want to thank the developers for the whole Massive Assault series. It is brilliant, please keep up the good work.

I played Massive Assault and Domination for a long time and loved both games, and when i learned about the features of MAN2 there was no doubt that i would buy it too. MAN2 would combine all advantages from Massive Assault and Domination, i thought.

I must admit that i am playing AI for most times as it is the better alternative for me when i want to relax in the evening. I can take my time without annoying another player waiting for my turn to end.

While testing the game i maybe simply was too blind to find the suitable options, so please let me know the following:

1) the former game Domination had an option to give more allies to the AI opponent than to me (allies for AI were even doubled in the highest difficulty level) to let him have a better chance to win the game. In MAN2 i only found to play with equally shared allies. Is there a possibilty to change this?

2) Is there a chance to play with extended unit sets against AI? Until now i played with the Standard set. I only found a fairly old thread here that it is not possible, and i am afraid that it isn’t implemented yet.

Furthermore i agree with other users in a seperate thread, that i would like to see the AI opponent not surrender that fast, or to have an option to play until the very end of the map. It is really unfortunate to build up an army and see the AI surrender before i can really use it. Sometimes it is simply fun to crush the remaining AI forces as a little reward for a long and exhausting game.

Thank you in advance for an answer and please excuse my poor english as it is not my native language.

Best regards
Seb75

Post subject: Re: Options for AI Opponents
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:48 pm 
Sea Wolf

Here is a better, in my opinion, option--play real players! You say that you find it more relaxing to not have someone waiting for you to finish your turn, if you feel this way why are you playing your games against real players in the online mode? This is a turn based strategy and the beauty of this is that you are able to have whatever time limit you have in place when you start your game! Personally, i seldom play any game with anything but a 14 day turn limit. Sometimes i will make several moves in one day and sometimes i may take the whole 14 days. I never play online type games simply because to play well the turns sometimes take quite a lot of time and who wants to sit around waiting an hour or 2 to make a move. Different players play at different speeds and if you start 10 or 12 games you would probably always have a move waiting for you to play--when YOU want to play. The games will be more challenging and you will learn to be a much better player than you will be if you just play the AI :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:52 am 
Levy

Dear Storm440,

thank you for your answer and your suggestion. I can't deny that i really would like to play real people, to see how i could handle the game that way, but i also don't want it now.

And this i would like to explain a bit better now. I played online games for abt. 10 years now, starting with shooters like Unreal Tournament and ending with World of Warcraft. The last took a lot of time as i was organizing groups of many players within the game as so called 'Raids'. Before i was playing online i was engaged in the trading card game Magic: The Gathering, where i was playing international tournaments and therefore travelled a lot. I agree with you, only playing with or against other real players is making me a better player, it is always fun and very diversified. Adjusting my strategy to many different ways of other people to play was always a challenge and there was no more satisfaction, than seeing my way of playing win, especially against players i used to lose against a lot :)

I enjoyed this for many years and now i need a break, because all this engagements were connected to some kind of duty. In each game there were some 'job' to do, like i described for World of Warcraft, where other people relied on me that i would do something for them within a specific time period. This caused stress which was no problem for a long time, but now i am over with it.
That's why i rather would play AI now (of course this may change in the future), because even when the game is set on 14 days base, this would mean that there is something i have to do, and although this is only a minimum pressure, still there is one. I don't seek a challenge now, only relaxation, and the improvements for rules, unit sets and the complete set of maps in MAN2 are great, but compared to Domination, the possibilities playing the AI are rather disappointing, therefore i asked for the options.

I hope my point of view is a bit clearer now and i thank you for your comments. If i change my mind regarding playing people (when the hunger to do so is back), i would be glad to have some games with you too.

Best regards
Seb75

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:07 am 
Sea Wolf

We each play the game for different reasons, so you should indeed follow whatever path that you find best. As far as the AI, i believe one of them is more difficult than the other, but since i don't play them i don't know which one. Also, there are many players that enjoy playing "fun" type games and that will agree not to time you out if you ask for this option when you send the challenge. If you want stress free games you can also play "non-rating" games, this way your opponent is also playing for fun and you, as a low ranked player, will have a lot more people willing to play because they lose no points in the glecko standings if they lose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm 
Levy

That's it. Each one defines fun in another way. In the moment i define it as mentioned above, although i know that playing real people will be more attractive in the long run.

Your latest suggestions for fun games sound really interesting and this way i will try it for sure. Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Seb75