Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Best Duelist Medium Map 2017" Tournament
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 am 
Sea Wolf

In this topic will be published all the relevant information about "Best Duelist Medium Map 2017" tournament. :D

Please, when you join the tournament, send me a private message with the choice of your medium map for this tournament.

In Send Challenge section, Personal Challenge........look for my nick and click on "Message".

It will be a great tournament! :wink:

Post subject: Re: "Best Duelist Medium Map 2017" Tournament
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:10 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hello everybody!
I need clarification on the rules:
    5. Players must to choose 1 medium map when join the tournament sending private in-game message to moderator.
    6. Games by round: Each player will play 4 games and if necessary, tie-break game.

First, In the previous tournament "The Best Duelist" map was chosen before each round of the tournament.
Second, What are the rules for tie-break game?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 pm 
Sea Wolf

Dear ruma,

Maybe you have the answer in "Rules" section of the published tournament, but it is simples.

5. 1 medium map that will be "your" map for all the phases (if you pass).
6. If match result is 2-2 then it will have tie-break game in the map choosen for high glicko player with red side for this player too.

I hope see you there :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:58 am 
Levy

Hi all !!!
I do not want to participate in the tournament, just because of this rule" tie-break: 4 if the match ends 2-2 will be played 1 game card selected high score glicko player. The player with the best rating glicko will be playing red." Why so strong players have such an advantage: they have played 1 game card high glicko is the result of the player. The player with the best rating glicko will play red ? I propose to change this rule in favor of players with lower rating !!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:42 am 
Sea Wolf

Hi, -LEDOKOL-

Firstly, participate or not in the tournament is a choice that you must do by yourself. Therefore, my full support about your final choice.

About tie-break game, the rule try to put on value the glicko-points as an effort by the players to increase their score.

It makes no sense to try to get the advantage on the side of the player with the lowest rating. This is a (friendly) competition, not a social aid.

If you think that you can beat a strong opponent twice for an 2-2 score, why can't you do it one more time?

In my opinion the effort must be valued and glicko-points could have so a real utility.

Bye,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 am 
Conscript

8)

Last edited by GI Joe on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 am 
Sea Wolf

GI Joe wrote:
Will the initial glicko score of players at start of tournament be used for the entire tournament or will players current glicko score at time of tie break game be used?

In all the tournaments I managed the glicko is published when inscription period ends. Is that glicko that will be used for the entire tournament.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:01 pm 
Sea Wolf

tese1969 wrote:
Maybe you have the answer in "Rules" section of the published tournament, but it is simples.

I did not see this section. Thank you! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:14 pm 
Sea Wolf

-LEDOKOL- wrote:
Hi all !!!
I do not want to participate in the tournament, just because of this rule" tie-break: 4 if the match ends 2-2 will be played 1 game card selected high score glicko player. The player with the best rating glicko will be playing red." Why so strong players have such an advantage: they have played 1 game card high glicko is the result of the player. The player with the best rating glicko will play red ? I propose to change this rule in favor of players with lower rating !!!

In support of the player -LEDOKOL - I will say the following:

1. The Rule "tie-break game" introduces an imbalances in the game and gives the high glicko-score player an advantage. First, the high glicko-score player will play for the Reds, which gives him a serious advantage. Secondly, the high glicko-score player will play on his map, which makes him more advantages.
    I.e. the high glicko-score player will have a big advantage in the tie-break game.
  2. Of course both players know it. What does this means? Unfortunately, this introduces an imbalance in 4 main games of confrontation. The high glicko-score player are satisfied with a draw (2-2) because he knows that will have a big advantage in the tie-break game. And the low glicko-score player understands that its draw is not satisfied.
    I.e. the high glicko-score player will have an advantage in 4 main games, not only in the tie-break game!
  3. Understanding this fact will force the low glicko-score player to take a risk in main 4 games to win in regulation time. That naturally reduces his chances of winning.
    I.e. the high glicko-score player will have a BIG advantage in 4 main games, not only in the tie-break game!

It is sad... :cry:

To balance the chances of the players I suggest:

1. To cancel the Rule "tie-break game".
    Or
  2. Draw lots who goes first and draw lots who select a map in the Rule "tie-break game".
    Or
  3. Draw lots who chooses first in the Rule "tie-break game". You can choose the map or the first move.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:35 pm 
Sea Wolf

Dear ruma,

We had the same discussion in World Cup topic :D

Rules were published and will not change it. Players can or can't join the tournament.

Of course, player with high glicko has advantage but usually that advantage is in skills.

-LEDOKOL- won vs. Le_Roy with green in tie-break of World Cup! He has personal experience about it!

Is not possible balance the games while the setup is random. You can play red in your map and have the poor setup....

Rule simply try to give value to glicko-score.

Each player can have his own opinion about this and I respect all of them, but the problem is that I am who use his free-time for manage the tournaments and is not easy do the right thing.

You know that there are other moderators......maybe they can do better! :wink:

Of course, I hope see you in the tournament :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:53 pm 
Sea Wolf

tese1969,

We all and I appreciate your contribution to the maintenance of the game. Thank you!

But the problem that I described above is also very important. Moreover, the possibility of solving this problem I've described (the ability to draw lots). I hope in the future tournaments you will have the opportunity to consider it.
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:24 am 
Tough Nut

I have to fully support tese and I feel the need to do it.

Higher-rated player can play for 2-2?; that's absurd - I don't know about others but I start every game with clear intent to win.

You can play against a much lower rated but still good enough player and if you beat him you win like 5 points, if you loose you can go down a hundred. In these conditions players with high-ratings are to be commended for being willing to play - if we check the main page we can see plenty of people there who haven't played a rated game like for years...

And dear tese thanks for the time and energy consumed to keep things going :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:36 pm 
Conscript

The amount of players for the tournament page of http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com "THE BEST DUELIST MEDIUM MAP 2017" is updated automatically or manually?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:44 pm 
Sea Wolf

PolarisDesu wrote:
The amount of players for the tournament page of http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com "THE BEST DUELIST MEDIUM MAP 2017" is updated automatically or manually?

When a player join the tournament he/she appears in the list of players. Only when moderators accept the player he/she appears in a Player's Group related to tournament. Therefore, automatic and too manual :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:35 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hi, community!

In attached image you can see the K.O. table for "Best Duelist Medium Map 2017" Tournament.

When registration period ends, It will be published the list of players ordered by glicko-score, the map choosen by each player and K.O. table with pairing included.

It will be great! :wink:

Attachments:
Best Duelist K.O. table.png
Best Duelist K.O. table.png [ 177.04 KiB | Viewed 50850 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:32 pm 
Sea Wolf

Lord Johnny wrote:
Higher-rated player can play for 2-2?; that's absurd - I don't know about others but I start every game with clear intent to win.

Above, I do not write about it ... Of course, each player plays to win. In my opinion it is obvious.

I'm talking about the fact that if two equal players fight, the result often is a draw (2-2)! (I will not repeat, see above)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:44 pm 
Conscript

I don't understand such an argumentation between which side of the coin is better to fall off. It just doesn't make any sense, always, always, in many games, determining who's side is going to defend or offend (For example) tends up being a controversy issue even when those positions are decided by a randomizer. Some maps end up being arguably giving one side the advantage over the other and so forth, this is a never ending story in games where sides experience a draw of some sort.

Useless issue to discuss...

As long as I can play with extended unit set in MAN2, I am alright. (My personal opinion)

I have been losing some matches lately, it doesn't mean I will panic and unregister for this event, hahahaha, that mentality is hilarious, too much care for something like this, when anyone here potentially could "benefit" (if that were the case in your thinking) from such a feature. I just don't get it =/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:34 pm 
Conscript

::

Last edited by GI Joe on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 am 
Conscript

Hahahaha, we will see if you get your revenge!

But we both know I got lucky, you are a player way over me. But any challenges will be accepted though!

The player -LEDOKOL- calls my attention, at least when I play against him, it is a shame he is not interested in the event, I wish I could be half as analytical as he is with his moves while playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hi, community!

The registration period has ended after reaching 32 players.

In attached images you can see:

1.- The list of players, ordered by glicko-points score and the map choosen by each player.

Only player "duk_" did not send me his map and I choose Crateus for him.

2.- K.O. Table with the pairing for 1/16 Final matches.

I would like to remind all the players that each match consists of 4 games, 2 games (red and green) in the map choosen by each player of the match. For example, if we look at the table, we have the match "1 alex1978 vs. 17 Polaris". That match will be 2 games in Twin Islands (alex1978's map) and 2 games in Beotorum (Polaris map).

The average level of the tournament is very high and will surely be very close.

Before concluding this description I would like to thank the participation of our current world champion (alex1978) because his presence always gives more value to any tournament. I know he is playing many hard games in several active tournaments against hard opponents but he always try to play all the events. Thanks, alex!! you are a real champion!

Finally, I only must to confirm the start date of the tournament: Friday, January, 13

Good luck to all and thank you for your participation!

Attachments:
Best Duelist players list and maps.png
Best Duelist players list and maps.png [ 109.58 KiB | Viewed 50533 times ]
Best Duelist K.O. table_starting.png
Best Duelist K.O. table_starting.png [ 191.81 KiB | Viewed 50533 times ]