Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Displaying Loaded Battle Platform Health
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:54 pm 
Sea Wolf

I think this issue has been discussed before, but isn't the way the health of the battle platform is displayed a little odd when there is a unit on it? You only see the unit's health above the combo of units, and have to click to see the platform's health. But what matters is how many hits the platform can take before being destroyed. Wouldn't it make more sense to treat loaded platforms like loaded transports, i.e., showing the health of the transporting device rather than the transported unit(s)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:32 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hu? I could be wrong, but I thought there IS a number of healthpoints on the platform. I play with numbers, not with the dots, maybe that's a difference? I remember telling someone there were healthpoints on the platform now (since one of the updates that is..)

Gonna check now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'm using the bars (dots). It only clearly shows the health bar for the unit on the platform, not the platform itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:05 am 
Sea Wolf

Oh, it seems like it has changed again. Because I do remember seeing
double numbers, one for the platform health & one for the thing on it.

Transport copter seems to have it correct though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:33 am 
Tough Nut

Is there a technical/gameplay reason we shouldn't be able to target either the platform/transport or its cargo?

Scenario:
Battle platform with 3 HP, RL loaded with 1 HP. I can only attack with 1 bomber = 1 HP damage. I'd rather shoot the RL.

Thoughts?

-Brewer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:12 am 
Sea Wolf

The way it works now actually makes the least sense - the unit on bottom always take the hit from the bomb! Since the platforms appear to expose both units unlike transports (which protect units inside them), perhaps it would be interesting to give a targeting option...

Sure, it would change gameplay a little bit, and make the platforms slightly less valuable, thus increasing PL's already significant advantage over FNU with the "standard" unit set, but in my view this is no big deal since I think the standard set should always be avoided anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 am 
Sea Wolf

Placid wrote:
Perhaps it would be interesting to give a targeting option...

Sure, it would change gameplay a little bit, and make the platforms slightly less valuable

I would say it would make the platform just greater. Imagine placing a bot onto the platform. You don't have to worry about those units who could give 3 points damage in total since the platform can't be hit, bot will survive the 3 points damage..

If it would be that you can choose wich unit to hit then ignore my post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 am 
Sea Wolf

It works kind of like a trick, the way it is now....Having Platform take the hits....but it is a cool part of the gameplay....realism is not a good platform for an argument here, as we see huge machines piling into a little transport like clowns into a little clown-car.....I really like the platform and definitely prefer extended units play so I can use every possible weapon. It's a drag to discover I'm playing one of those games and I have no platform! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:12 am 
Tough Nut

I think if the platform/transport is destroyed, everything in/on should be destroyed. In the case of the platform (and stretching even to some of the choppers), if you can see both units, it would be nice to target either.

Rextrent, who is kicking my ass on switz wrote:
definitely prefer extended

I do agree the standard unit set is skewed, perhaps thats another topic. /disclaimer: if it hasn't already been beaten to death. :)

-Brewer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:58 am 
Tough Nut

I like the way it is, it would be better if you could see the platforms health not the thing riding. That and I am a bit lost without them when I use PLU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:29 am 
Sea Wolf

Sometimes the game has a "fog-of-war" element....like making sure you click on unit(s) to determine exactly WTH is going on....I have totally missed units "hiding" in the woods in Dom or MAN2 which likely cost me the game and they were just lav's but, as in chess, a pawn can easily make or break the game.
Also, one game (Antarticus) had a lav that I destroyed yet remained on the screen .... it was a glitch of course...I didn't recognize what was happening til a turn passed and the border looked pretty strong for all the damage I was doing it.