Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Issues/sugggestions about new patch.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:43 pm 
Sea Wolf

Connecting to the game server seems to be rather slow since the new patch. The updating avatars seems to be one of those things slowing it down. Is this something that needs to be updated everytime?

Also, once in the Personal Career mode and using the Fast Access settings there is no way to exit back to the standard starting point without changing the settings back. This makes it hard to view replays.

So far the new way that the Shift key toggles on or off is a bit annoying. Maybe it will just take some time getting use to but so far, ick! And the new fancy graphic circle seems to only make it harder to see.

http://www.freewebs.com/7thwanzer

"Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his." George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:01 am 
Developer

When it says "Updating Avatars.." the client is checking for new avatars of players you have active games with. It shouldn't be this slow and we will try to check how to speed it up - just new feature which requires adjustment.

As for bombers, I posted reply here:
http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25077

Btw, how do you like Fast Access Settings so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:34 pm 
Tough Nut

I like not having to hold down the shift key, but the new fancy threat circles are harder to see than the old red circles. This is because they are rendered below the unit rather than above as they were before. Can't you simply put them back where they used to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:40 pm 
Veteran

I too agree that the circles are harder to see, at least in a distance. They are nicer but it is no good if you can't see them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:41 am 
Supreme Marshal

You can move up circles, if you edit file:

unit_selection_enemy.lua

This file is in the folder:
..\Massive Assault Network 2\data\scripts\

In this file you should replace string:
desc.LocalPosition = D3DXVECTOR3:new(0,8,0)

by the new string:
desc.LocalPosition = D3DXVECTOR3:new(0,12,0)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:24 pm 
Veteran

Thank you very much for that tip Tiger, improved visibility of the rings. Only trouble I have now is when a unit is on an incline, so that the ring is viewed straight from the side; then it is almost invisible.
So, is it possible to make the rings thicker also? :)

Last edited by Tryptamon on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:10 am 
Supreme Marshal

Tryptamon wrote:
Thank you very much for that tip Tiger, improved visibility of the rings. Only trouble I have now is when a unit is on an incline, so that the ring i viewed straight from the side; then it is almost invisible.
So, is it possible to make the rings thicker also? :)

I don't know, but you can try to move up circles higher (for example, replace 12 to 18 ).

Last edited by Tiger on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:19 pm 
Tough Nut

Tryptamon wrote:
I too agree that the circles are harder to see, at least in a distance. They are nicer but it is no good if you can't see them!

I also disliker the thing that circles dont show which bombers and units in transports can fire, and now I have to count stupid hexeswhich is kinda hard when playiung on 10 mins ingame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:46 pm 
Conscript

Throwing in my two cent opinion, based on limited experience w/ the patch & MAN2 overall:

1. Playing on a large map, the game feels slower; both selecting, moving and & reinforcing units.

2. I hate the way the map now looks and responds when using the Shift command. I don't like the fact that I have to press the button twice. I don't like the fact that it makes the map look like a giant pinball machine. The simple red rings were perfect -- why mess with a good thing?

3. I dislike not having the convenience of using the X command to measure distance between hexes. The new way (Alt-X) isn't bad, it's just not as convenient. I understand that it was necessary so that others could use the chat function. I would have preferred a single button like the CAPS LOCK, TAB, or the ~ key. Or maybe left & right mouse buttons @ the same time?

4. I'm not certain what the point of the pull down menu bar is. I’ll never use it.

5. As for the spinning ring that surrounds the current unit: I think most people who can handle a mouse should be able to remember what unit they just clicked without a flashing rotating reminder. If not, they're playing the wrong game. :evil:

I registered to the full version, because I enjoy the game, and I wanted the developers to continue their work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:35 pm 
Sea Wolf

The RED SPRITES should really be fixed by devs so that they work well, without players having to go in and fix them.
It would appear to be an easy one time fix (Maybe not easy, but it should be done, let's be reasonable) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:06 am 
Sea Wolf

kliziflip wrote:
Tryptamon wrote:

I also disliker the thing that circles dont show which bombers and units in transports can fire

I've noticed this myself yesterday, didn't had a problem with it before..
Hard to see the circle around a rocketlauncher, or loaded copters..

I don't know if you all like the new graphics of the shift-circle, but I find it a bit hum, childish look now.. unprofessional.. but that can be me ofcourse..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:13 am 
Sea Wolf

I would be very happy with the good-old-fashioned red circles that really worked and served a purpose.
As it is now.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:14 am 
Veteran

Two things;

I didn't know about the F4-command until recently, and now I use it all the time. But it is very annoying that the view shifts back to normal after 10 (?) seconds. It should not change automatically, or there should be an option for it.

Also, regarding the threat-circles; I have to move the mouse to have them work at all. If I just place the mouse over a hex and press shift nothing happens. This is surely not ideal and slows the gameplay down. Also I wan't the old circles back... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:25 pm 
Conscript

If I could start a poll, I'd probably ask "Are you happy w/ the new threat circles?" -- I suspect that 90% would reply in the negative. You'd probably get the same response if asked about the .205beta patch.

I registered after 30 or so games under the .197beta. Had I played those same games under the .205b, I probably would not have registered. I stand by the comments made earlier in this thread, although I'm finding the Alt-X implementation even more irritating then I did originally. The yellow pop-ups weren't a problem at first, but they certainly are now. The game took a step backwards with .205b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:28 pm 
Sea Wolf

Tiger, in your post you spoke of editing a line in the data folder. What program is needed to open and edit this file and where can it be downloaded?
Nothing in a standard win xp pro operating system will even open this file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:51 pm 
Sea Wolf

storm440 wrote:
Tiger, in your post you spoke of editing a line in the data folder. What program is needed to open and edit this file and where can it be downloaded?
Nothing in a standard win xp pro operating system will even open this file.

It is just a text file, use Notepad.

http://www.freewebs.com/7thwanzer

"Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his." George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:25 am 
Sea Wolf

Thanks! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:00 am 
Developer

Hello,

We just created patch 208b - check the message in game for patch url.
The yellow boxes problem have been fixed so far. Red cricles are back.

We're not making big announcement until we do some other changes to the version - then we will send e-mail and get the news on published.

Regards,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:48 pm 
Sea Wolf

Thanks a lot for the rather quick but most of all wise update !

It shows you care about us players, which I encourage ofcourse ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:09 pm 
Sea Wolf

Great job Nick, played a few hours and had no problems with the yellow patches or crashing to the desktop. There is one strange glitch that i noticed. If you click on one of your transports that has units inside it, you see the units, as you should. But if you then click on one of your opponents transports, it sometimes shows it having the same units in it as your own transport, even though it is empty.