Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New patch - very disappointed in developers.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:58 pm 
Conscript

First of all, I would like to thank the developers of MA series for creating such a good game, which I have been enjoying for the last year, but after downloading the recent patch, I have only one question, and, forgive me in advance for my rudness, but are you completely out of your mind?

Sure, I understand the fact, that nowadays we live in a material and capitalistical world, where financial values influence everything and everyone, but the changes you, the developers, have made in the last patch, are just plainly unaceptable. I am talking about the huge, half-transparent "TRIAL" sign, which is now displayed in the center of the screen everytime. I would have understood, if it was displayed only in the menu, but this...

This is highly irritating, since I cannot normally concetrate on the battle - the goddamn sign is clearly in the way. All the pasts advertizements, created to pull a buck from the trial players, which included the subscription benefits splash-screen, "very cool amazing new options", blocked out from the regular mortals, and, not to mention, the word "Trial" mentioned everywhere and everytime, weren`t very much of annoyence. But this outrageous attempt to increase profits just leaves me absolutely speechless - I have had a better impression of you guys.

For those of players, who are thinking about downloading the new patch, my advice is simple - don`t. Doesn`t really ad anything, but rather takes away the ability to play normally. Oh yeah, we now have three "free" maps instead of four - not really disappointing, but still - thumbs down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:00 pm 
Veteran

I paid so that these people could continue to provide an excellent product. After a year of free enjoyment I would say you got your monies worth and then some. Don't be a mooch and a whiner.....pay for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:27 pm 
Sea Wolf

Rodehard wrote:
I paid so that these people could continue to provide an excellent product. After a year of free enjoyment I would say you got your monies worth and then some. Don't be a mooch and a whiner.....pay for it!
I agree completely.

http://www.freewebs.com/7thwanzer

"Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his." George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:25 am 
Conscript

And what if it is not in my intensions to buy a software product which is still in beta version? I don`t wish to pay for an unfinished game, thank you, because clearly the developers have no intention of informing the potential buyers of the product about what the final release will look, because they haven`t finished implementing the new features. Yet, will all this, they have the ignorance to completely mess up the game screen in order to remind the players to cash up.

Now I`m not saying that the game isn`t worth $40, like previous posters thought about me. I`m saying, that the developers shouldn`t have added the stupid sign and make the game practically unplayable. Have you people even thought about how many new players will be scared off by this trial sign? Because, and I`ll tipe it again, so this time everyone understands me clearly: it blocks the view, and it is there for wrong purposes, and it`s presence is unacceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:58 pm 
Sea Wolf

It actually costs Wargaming.net to allow the extensive trial permissions they allow. It costs money to maintain the servers and the IT personell to support the vast number of trial players out there, and they still do it. Like it or not, they need cash flow to stay in business. Thats how it works.

The trial is designed so that people can give the game a try without forking over any money, with the understanding that if you do like the game, you'll do what you can to pay for the full version that will be 10 times better. It is not designed so that people can play a free game forever.

Think of it this way: As a trial player for MAN2, you get to try the game for an unlimited amount of time, getting fairly regular patches and updates, playing and finishing as many games as you want on selected planets. And this isn't some internet ad machine, it is a fully blown game that competes in gameplay experience, graphics, and draw with the best TBSs out there. On top of that, the developers are down to earth and communicate regularly with their fanbase, available to answer questions and amenable to good suggestions. Where else can you find that?

If you don't like it, don't play. Its as simple as that. You can give up on MAN2 because you consider the text makes the game unplayable, you can grin and bear it because you like the game and aren't ready to pay, or you can get rid of it once and for all by buying the lifetime subscription.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:23 pm 
Sea Wolf

Well said Maelstrom.

I had to create a trial account to just see how bad this Trial watermark was.... it is a LITTLE annoying, very little, but it hardly makes the game unplayable.

http://www.freewebs.com/7thwanzer

"Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his." George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:22 pm 
Tough Nut

I am really a big fan of this game, but I have to agree completely with Mauzer here. I think the Trial version is pretty generous but still I will understand no reason to disimprove it or cutting the fun in any minor way! If people want to buy this game, getting rid of the Trial sign shouldnt be the reason!

It's their choice wether they like it enough to buy it or not to buy it, or to stay with the (beta!-)Trial version forever! There will always be people, who choose the last option and thats totally their choice, today in the age of customer-service(which the Devs always seemed to take veeery serious. And they should!). I couldnt imagine such a sign in the starcraft or warcraft bnet demo.
Sure money is always a problem for small game-developers, but harassing longtime-trial-players is certainly the wrong direction to solve it.

Finish the beta version, so you can start putting all your energy into making the game known worldwide and you wont care of the costs of trial-players any more! As none of my friends had ever heard of this game and I myself, a big fan of strategygames, stumbled over it by mistake, I still havnt seen any article in the local game-magazines. If people know about this game, there will be enough to come. So please dont scare of all those players with any fun-taking updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:31 pm 
Sea Wolf

I have to side with the developers on this one. There is only 1 charge, $40.00 for a lifetime membership, how much better a deal can someone find? Sure, there are still a few glitches but these are being addressed and are the programers suppose to work for free? Do not expect the mags to give us many props because they, for the most part, cater to the fps and rts people and let us face it, there are not really that many people that want a good mental challange in their gamming. Also, it is one thing to play a month or 2 as a trial player and quite another to play forever as one. I would suggest no "trial" banner the first 8 weeks, give a new player time to see if he likes the game. Then tile the screen with "trial" because if someone does not join after 2 months they probably never will and are only playing because it is free. Personally, unless you know someone from MAN and want to play them , I don't really see why any registered player would want to play any of the trial players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:34 pm 
Veteran

Very good suggestion there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

just a little clairifacation on not playing trial members. I have no problem with the true trial players--neewbees that are trying to get a feel for this game. I have played them, have looked in on their games and offered advice when asked and have tried to be supportive of their learning a new game and having fun with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:49 am 
Sea Wolf

Players have every right to express their feelings here.
Sounds to me like some of the Forum-Readers have an unquenchable hard-on for telling others that You Are A Whiner and Keep Your Mouth Shut.
I have experienced this several times and I have a suggestion for these Control Freaks who can't bear to hear someone complain: Why don't you blow it out of your Missile Launcher!.
The New Hell-Patch is really not a good product...PERIOD!
The new patch needs to be fixed because it makes the game unplayable.
I also do not like having Garbage covering my screen while I'm playing, and usually have the little chat-box off.
This game is about playing, not oohing-aahing over some magical graphic design.
Eh? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:54 am 
Sea Wolf

storm440 wrote:
I would suggest no "trial" banner the first 8 weeks, give a new player time to see if he likes the game. Then tile the screen with "trial" because if someone does not join after 2 months they probably never will and are only playing because it is free.

This seems reasonable, if that is the desired effect of reminding the Trial Player to mow a few extra yards and pay the money. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:17 am 
Sea Wolf

Rextrent wrote:
Players have every right to express their feelings here.

Correct. The people opposed to the trial sign have as much right to those that disagree to state their opinion. This is after all a discussion forum, and one that has maintained reasonable discourse quite well for the most part. Just because someone disagrees with someone does not mean they are calling them a whiner.

Rextrent wrote:
The new patch needs to be fixed because it makes the game unplayable.
I also do not like having Garbage covering my screen while I'm playing, and usually have the little chat-box off.
This game is about playing, not oohing-aahing over some magical graphic design.

The Trial sign was a reaction of the developers to a problem they face: They have many many trial players, but relatively few of those players pay for their experience, even though they obviously enjoy it. They can't pay for the server and web support for these trial players indefinately.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:47 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yes...I was only referring to the literal use of the words "Quit Whining"....which is a quote....which rubs me the wrong way.
We are different people who were raised differently, but I would rather encourage decent treatment of people who have done nothing but express how they felt. I stick up for myself, when I'm innocent of wrongdoing, as well as others.
There is a definite clash of attitudes sometimes, but I don't want to make enemies or run off too crazy-at-the-mouth always, which is my weakness.
I've been having a great time playing several players in this column, and yakking it up.
Maybe I could make my point w/o becoming an azzhole...hmmm?
8)