Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AI Games
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 pm 
Conscript

Since the first time I logged on to MAN II, I have not been able to play Emily or Kate. I keep getting a live opponent when I try to set up an AI game. What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: AI Games
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:56 pm 
Supreme Marshal

To-the-Rear! wrote:
Since the first time I logged on to MAN II, I have not been able to play Emily or Kate. I keep getting a live opponent when I try to set up an AI game. What am I doing wrong?

Did you try to join game with Kate or Emily from "Play online" menu?
You can try to send personal challenge to Kate or Emily on any map too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:23 am 
Sea Wolf

Are you sure it isn't the AI?....because if you didn't know better, you might think that was a person......When I played Emily or the other girl, there is no obvious way to learn that you are playing a computer...pretty tricky... :wink:...o...except that most people don't move so purposfully as the AI, and humans take back moves and redo, while it looks like AI doesn't.....Do I know what's going on....? ';'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:02 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Kate and Emily are AI, but their avatar has real prototypes :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

Tiger wrote:
To-the-Rear! wrote:

Do they accept PBEM challenges??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:02 am 
Supreme Marshal

Quitch wrote:
Tiger wrote:
To-the-Rear! wrote:

Do they accept PBEM challenges??

Yes, of course, and you can select any map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 pm 
Sea Wolf

i also have a problem trying to play the ai. When i firsh set up the game i could send a challange to the ai but i could only play the trial maps. Artmax took care of the trial map problem but since i installed the new scenario pack he sent i have lost the ability to play any games against either ai player. No matter what map i choose the "send challange" tab does not work if i pick one of the AI players. Also, are games against trial players limited to the standard unit set? If i try to choose any other unit set when sending a trial player a challange, the "send challange" tab does not work. Every thing works with other registered players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:47 pm 
Sea Wolf

I had to assume that trial players are limited strictly to standard set, few maps since nothing else worked. ...
I had problem sending "public challenge" which I was told was indeed a bug which would be addressed in that elusive future patch!..ha...I am really happy with the extended units option...sweet...
I'm pretty satisfied, but still must ask....will there be a new map....?
BTW....I think I've only had one or two crashes with MAN2... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:49 pm 
Supreme Marshal

There is one mistake in my previous message. You can't send challenge to AI from "Personal challenge", but you can change map in the option of on-line game and play it in the PBEM style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:45 am 
I have tried playing the AI via "Play online" (seems to be the only available option to play the AI). - However, this always leads to a game where the time limit is 15 minutes.

Starting out with this game, taking your first steps against the AI whilst playing with a time limit is utterly frustrating and stupid.

I haven't even found an option to change the time limit againt the AI or play against it pbem-style at all. - But even if it's out there somewhere (can you tell me where, please?), defaulting to 15 minutes will lose you a lot of beginning players due to frustration or because they just want to take it slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:15 am 
Sea Wolf

It was 10 minutes before the patch... I know.

Even in PBEM you'll still be limited to 15 minutes per turn, it's just you won't be forced to play your next turn right then and there.

They're going to add an infinite time mode, and if they have any sense they'll switch the AI to this. God only knows why the "trainer" has a tight timelimit on it. They had a chance to fix it with this latest patch, but instead added five minutes to the time, something which I'm sure is close to useless for anyone new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:29 am 
Sea Wolf

what does PBEM stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:49 am 
Developer

You were telling us that 10 minutes limit is too tough.
15 minutes limit is enough for players to get done with any turn on trial map. Subscribed players move their untis faster since they know how to play.

In any case, it was the simplest and fastest solution - hope it is useful for some newbie players.

We're planning to add more settings with next patch, but it requires changes to interface. Which can not be done fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 am 
Sea Wolf

When yoiu're talking "trainer" opponents and "new" players, there's no such thing as enough time. How can I do everything a turn requires, while learning all the units AND the map for the very first time?

Can't be done.

The temporary solution is to use the maximum time of 60 minutes, and the long term solution is no time limit on AI games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:45 pm 
Sea Wolf

I totally agree with Quitch.
When playing on a new map, I need my time to discover the field withouth being rushed and making some stupid move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:10 pm 
Sea Wolf

First, hats off to the developers, you are doing a great job, but if you think 15 min is long enought for any trial map you are out of touch with reality. I have played the game for almost 2 years and in my first 10 min match on betorium, there were several moves that i could not complete, and i knew exactly what i wanted to do in the turn. 15 min would have enabled me, a veteren, to probably complete every move, but not by doing anything other than moving units without much thought. I don't think we need a 60 min default for trial, but the min should be 20 and 30 would be even better if we are trying to bring new blood into the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:31 pm 
Sea Wolf

We do need 60 minutes because, ask yourself, what exactly is the rush when playing the AI?? Especially an AI labelled as a trainer? Why are we rushing the player? Is the AI getting bored??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:44 pm 
Sea Wolf

you make a very good point. On another issue, i know you have stated in the past that you think ai games should count in ones' score, but if they are truely "training missions" then i vote that they should not. I think points should only be awarded for victories against actual people in actual non-training battles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

This will be redundant, but how hard is it to exclude a timer?....Why does it exist?....I played MAN1 and Domination for months, many hours....and I never felt the need to be hurried like I hurry the people who have the misfortune to be driving in front of me in their cars....What is the hangup here?....I'm not going to be snotty like I always am...But this is senseless. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:45 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'd like to see the default time limit be the infinite option once it is implemented. This is best for new players as it errs on the safe side. (It is even best for older players, who might occasionally send out a challenge too hastily...oops, 30 minute default time limit on Sea Switzerland! Have fun with those late-game moves...) Playing "speed MAN 2" should be seen as a specialized mode of play that some might enjoy once they are familiar with how the game works, the maps, etc. The speed junkies will find the option. But those who want to take their time to think or to figure out the game will appreciate a default which is generous with time.