Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:45 pm 
Conscript

Being a Concept Test, I would assume that First Impressions are very important to you guys. They should be, since they will determine the fate of your product.
If someone doesn't like the game after his/her first install and mission, well, they can always go play AoE or WC3...
So, MY first impression was this:
1. Proportions - The units seem too large for the terrain. 4 or 5 jeeps stretch out to cover a continent. Now, I realize the units are representative, not actual, but there is very little land. A good example of this is the screenshot 'Tookool' placed a couple posts down.
2. Circles - the movement circles, or whatever they are called, are somewhat confusing. They don't really define any sort of grid or pattern, and make it difficult to judge distance. If you plan to leave them there, perhaps you can put lines branching out to each circle to show movement paths. I'm certain you have toyed with ideas of squares and hexes, but maybe a grid could be displayed during the movement phase.
3. Symbols - The small window that shows the currently selected unit seems lacking. It would be useful if there was a small pop-up when the cursor is placed over a symbol. I can reasonably assume that a shield means 'defense', but you promote this game as "easy enough for a 6 year old to play"... So, for example, the one that represents 'range' could say "Attack Range" or for defense "Unit Defense Rating" or whatever.
4. Definitions - The dialogue uses the term "raise guerillas". I understand I get an extra unit, but what exaclty does it mean? I get units if my area is NOT invaded (resources), and I get them(guerillas) if it IS. Confusing. Also, the text refers to "secret alliances". I understand the concept, but am I there? Am I starting in the allied territory, or is it somewhere else on the map? Am I the green guy, or the red one? Is he my ally, or the bad guy? (I know the answer to these questions, but it's what a person might be thinking.)
Yes, I just started playing, but that's the whole point of this post: First Impressions.
So now it's on to the 'concept testing'.

On the flip-side... great animations, nice interface and menus, and beautiful soundtrack... oh wait, that's my stereo, lol.
-Happy Holidays

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]