Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:13 pm 
Supreme Marshal

The page of players have been corrected. Now you can see Global Score of players after all finished rounds, including bonus:
http://massiveassaultnetwork.com/man2/m ... ment_id=10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm 
Conscript

Tiger wrote:
The page of players have been corrected. Now you can see Global Score of players after all finished rounds, including bonus:
http://massiveassaultnetwork.com/man2/m ... ment_id=10

Not that it will matter much in the long run...but do I get a bonus for finishing second?

Round 1: 2nd place in Division 16
Round 2: 2nd place in Division 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 am 
Supreme Marshal

Yes, you should get bonus in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:41 am 
Supreme Marshal

ravermeister wrote:
Can you make the default view for Players come up in the Group view - I never use the other view.... and it take time to load up each view. seems a waste of time.

Link have been corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:39 am 
Sea Wolf

How come Rocklizard did not get the bonus points....

was upgraded from the previous round... and got second in the round after that..... doesn't that mean he should get the bonus points?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:21 pm 
Supreme Marshal

ravermeister wrote:
How come Rocklizard did not get the bonus points....

was upgraded from the previous round... and got second in the round after that..... doesn't that mean he should get the bonus points?

Yes, you are right. It's bug. Thank you for the message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:18 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Bug with bonus points for the second place have been fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:38 pm 
Conscript

Tiger (or someone else if they know),

Could you confirm the start time and map for the next round? I think the belief is that it is Treasure Island...but some people mentioned a brand new map. If it is a new map, would it be released before the round or only once the round starts? (Personally, I think it would be fun to have the map released for the tournament round and not allow anyone to play any non-tournament games on the map until the round is over - be different / maybe fun for no one to have any practice on a given map.)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 pm 
Conscript

ravermeister wrote:
YES - you get 8 bonus points for coming 1st or 2nd in the round after you were promoted from a lower division...

So in your case - you get 8 bonus points - AND - if you get 1st or 2nd the next round - you get ANOTHER 8 bonus points - good Luck - I think it gets a bit harder each time you advance (unless you totally bombed out in the round 0 and got a division below your actual strength)

By now, I dare to confirm I bombed out in round 0 as I had no time to play. After that round I only won... Normally I am not that good. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:00 am 
Supreme Marshal

The map for the next round will be Treasure Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:28 am 
Veteran

Tiger

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to stop playing in the tournement. Work and other things mean that I don't have enough time to play properly.

Thanks for organising and good luck to you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:22 am 
Sea Wolf

Come on Morton - one more round - I finally made to 1st division and then you bail out on me....

Does that mean Tiger will take your place and stay in 1st division?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:01 am 
Sea Wolf

As I've already said earlier, the chess clock is a bogus way of playing a tournament.
Any player or players playing the same profile can play immediately after the opponent and win by forcing a time out.
I was told that this is not an actual possibility as long as a turn is played daily. This is incorrect.
If my observation is incorrect, then your server is broken and not keeping track of the time elapsed.
True, I am not likely to do so well in this game for there are many better players. Yet this chess clock pressure is for people who have nothing better to do than monitor their computer or use others to play the profile for them while they sleep. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:36 pm 
Conscript

Rextrent wrote:
As I've already said earlier, the chess clock is a bogus way of playing a tournament.
Any player or players playing the same profile can play immediately after the opponent and win by forcing a time out.
I was told that this is not an actual possibility as long as a turn is played daily. This is incorrect.
If my observation is incorrect, then your server is broken and not keeping track of the time elapsed.
True, I am not likely to do so well in this game for there are many better players. Yet this chess clock pressure is for people who have nothing better to do than monitor their computer or use others to play the profile for them while they sleep. :roll:

I do not have much experience, but I had to travel and missed 3-4 days in the one round of the tournament, and still had plenty of time. Most games are completed by turn 15 on these maps - even if one side is trying to drag it out - it seems unlikely to get past turn 20. With 14 days, that means even if other person plays the turn instantly and you do not see it right away - you have an average of 16.8 hours for each turn. Running the math, it just does not seem like an issue.

I think the best question would be: How many people have lost due to time out - and why was that? The timeouts that I have seen are when a player goes missing for 7+ days, then is online and not even bothering to do the tournament turns.

Note: I am not sure what you mean by "same profile" so perhaps I am missing something here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 pm 
Sea Wolf

By "same profile" rextrent means that if you give your password to another player they can log on and play any of your turns. This could be particularly useful if the 2 players were in widely different time zones so each can play at a time where the other is either sleeping or at work. Of course, the different players would have to be of similar skill, have a general idea of a common strategy and feel confident of each others generalship. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 pm 
Sea Wolf

Of course, all of this is just conjecture, as i know of no one that has actually done this. But i think, in theory, it should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:38 pm 
Levy

I'm a little curious as to what the chess-clock naysayers are actually suggesting. I've seen a bunch of complaints about the chess clock, but I don't recall seeing any criticism that was actually constructive.

What, exactly, is the alternative that would satisfy the chess-clock-haters and still allow us to finish the tournament before the year 2012?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:19 pm 
Sea Wolf

One suggestion mentioned over a year ago was that like in a chess clock - you get an extra 24 (or 12 hours) after say 14 turns. - so that if the battle is very close - and you you are over 14 turns (ie 1 turn per day) the you get an extra day per turn - so if you keep playing - you never run out of time..... (to stop this from taking too long - the extra time could stop at 21 turns or something like that.

then - if both players have been doing their turns for 21 days - and still no outcome - then if the percentage is under +/-20% then it should be a draw - if one person is ahead by more than 20% they should get the win.. (or something like that)

That way - the fact that you have more spare time does not make you win automatically - it is actually based on skill and performance.

And you could easily just give 7 days and then give 24 hours for every turn made - until turn 21 (or even turn 14) - that way - there is still a limit on each round.

Personally - I have had no problems with the chess clock - and I think that some people take too long with their turns..... which gives them an advantage... Some people take hours for each turn - double checking, triple checking - never wanting to make a mistake - and then complain about running out of time - while I make my moves too quickly and complain about making stupid mistakes.

One way to look at that is the tournament does not find the best player - but the best player under the tournament conditions - including time management.

This game takes a lot of time to play properly - especially in the top divisions - so I guess a negative is that a lot of good players (Storm, Morn, MortonHQ, ShadowD just to name a few, can not devote the time they think they need to play it well, so they do not bother playing at all.

Whats the point of playing in a tournament and losing games in a timeout... or worse yet - winning games and not having a life (or wife?)

Thats my 2 cents - the tournament is what it is - its not for everyone, and the people who are in it are enjoying it (time pressure and all).

I am sad to see so many top players not in there, but it leaves room for me in 1st division - so who am I to complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:27 pm 
Sea Wolf

Here is a poll and some more variants on the solutions proposed.

Also - CaptX is another former No.1 who could not kepp up... sad to see him go.

http://www.massiveassault.com/forum/vie ... ight=clock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:30 pm 
Sea Wolf

On the topic of letting other people play my profile.... not sure I would see the point in letting someone else win for me - hollow victory. I would rather not play at all than play 1/2 games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next