Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does anyone play other maps?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:34 am 
Veteran

I've had a bunch of challenges refused on maps, and no one sends any challenges on bigger maps...

Is there ANYONE out there that wants to kick the crap out of me on a map OTHER than Bizzara, Emerald, or Antarcticus?

C'mon! There's so many other great medium/large maps there that could be a great time! What about Noble Rust? Or Paradise? Or something that ISN'T Emerald, Bizzara, or Antarcticus? ;)

Anyone? Anyone at all? :D

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:49 am 
P.L. Marshal

that's true that large maps are not used as often as small ones - because large maps require some skil and ALOT of timel to play there properly.
i suppose that you got refuses because high-ranks do not want to play on large maps with corporal.I can say from my own experince that playing with beginner on large maps is dreadfully boring - takes long time with predefined result.that's why high-rank players prefer to fight with newbies on small maps to get score fast.
And other newbies probably not want to play on large maps simply because that's too difficult.
But if you really feel like you want to try something large - send me a challenge on Wasserland.
sometime ago i felt just like you..and i was angry because majority of people not want large battles...but now i see that they just dont have enough time to play because they waste time on other boring stuff like working,family etc :lol:...but while having not enough time they still want to get wins fast that's why they choose small maps..suppose nothing can be done with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:13 pm 
Veteran

Well darn them to heck. ;)

I realize the outcome is likely predetermined in most cases, I was mostly referring to other newbies like myself, as challenging one of the higher-ups on medium/large maps is basically wasting their time. . .

A large map would give more time to really learn better strategies an' whatnot with overall unit performance, etc. . .

And, technically, the games don't take any more time out of your day than it takes having a bazillion other games running at once. ;) You just need to think more. :D

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:16 pm 
Tough Nut

If you're interested in playing a relative noob, send me a challenge on a large map of your choice.

Wins...losses... who cares? I just want to play! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:31 pm 
P.L. Marshal

Asmodeous wrote:

And, technically, the games don't take any more time out of your day than it takes having a bazillion other games running at once. ;) You just need to think more. :D

well that's true BUT - you see there is basically 2 types of peoples who has low ranks.
first and most numerous type is casual gamers who play a little and very unregularly they just log in randomly send some turns then go back to their work,family etc.
They most probably wont start a large map cuz with they way they play it will take a few months to finish.
And other type is would-be-generals - they usually dont sit in low ranks for long.And they definitely prefer a "bazillion" of little games over a one large and long cuz they want to get score and raise as fast as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:35 pm 
Veteran

"And other type is would-be-generals - they usually dont sit in low ranks for long.And they definitely prefer a "bazillion" of little games over a one large and long cuz they want to get score and raise as fast as possible."

See, I'm a "would-be-general" to the more extreme level. ;) Having tons of little games running at once is great an' all, but I'd like to have some larger games running, too, because those are, by nature, more intensive, more thought-provoking, more taxing, and offer a much steeper learning curve, theoretically improving one's game faster because it forces you, more heavily, to learn how the units in this game interact at a much better ability...

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:43 pm 
P.L. Marshal

Asmodeous wrote:
See, I'm a "would-be-general" to the more extreme level. ;)

well, actually..not all would be generals finally get to be real generals :P

Asmodeous wrote:
more thought-provoking, more taxing, and offer a much steeper learning curve, theoretically improving one's game faster

it is so if you play against a general. then - yes.but if one n00b play other n00b on large map i am not sure if it makes them to learn more quickly /shrug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:03 pm 
Veteran

"it is so if you play against a general. then - yes.but if one n00b play other n00b on large map i am not sure if it makes them to learn more quickly"

That's a very good point... which is why I never refuse a challenge no matter how badly they'll kick the crap out of me. ;)

And I get somewhat disappointed when it seems like they're pulling punches. :D

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:33 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'm a colonel I'll play you on any map if you like I don't care whay your rank is.

Just send your turns quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:43 pm 
Veteran

"Just send your turns quickly."

I play at work, so that's usually a non-issue until about 6:00pm EST. ;)

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:20 pm 
Conscript

I'm a mere major, but I'd also be happy to play you on any map you like -- just send me a challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:55 pm 
Veteran

See, Mrak? That didn't take long at all! ;)

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:49 pm 
P.L. Marshal

yes id did not take long because 1) that was a medium map 2) i had a very good starting position 3) you probably noticed you were making lots of mistakes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:03 pm 
Veteran

Oh yeah, the mistakes made became blatantly obvious when suddenly my armies vanished. ;)

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:05 pm 
P.L. Marshal

does that look to you as "suddenly"? hmm..later you learn to foresee such things in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:21 pm 
Veteran

It only looks as "suddenly" when you don't realize your mistake until after you send it off at end of turn. You see the next one come in and you go "Erg.. that was unexpected.."

But, then again, I haven't played NEAR as many games as you have. ;) I'm getting better, though!

Slowly. Hopefully I'll win one one day. ;)

Me.

PS. Man. I suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:48 pm 
Veteran

P.P.S. Just think how I feel!
I think I'm simultaneously losing 5 games at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:34 am 
Veteran

Heh, Icarus, think about it this way, I've got 13 games running atm, I MIGHT manage to pull off winning one of them. ;)

Me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:32 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'm feeling the same about my games right now. I just won one a few mins ago. The others (especailly larger maps) I feel I am loosing on.

I prefer smaller maps mainly because they are easier for me to play simultaniously. Also I think it's more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:47 pm 
Tough Nut

DryFire wrote:
I prefer smaller maps mainly because they are easier for me to play simultaniously. Also I think it's more fun.

Judging by the few games that I've played so far, the small maps are just trade-down deals that require good knowledge of tactics and unit selection, but are pretty light in the area of overall strategy.

I'm playing Asmodeous on the rust map and things aren't nearly so clean cut. He's secured a continent, I've almost secured one, and the third is up for grabs where he's got the naval advantage and capability to bring in reinforcements and I've (temporarly) got a significant ground advantage.

I think big ones are more fun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next