Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I Got It!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:42 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: TokyoDan (Matrix Forum Member)

I got it today and I am in Tokyo, Japan. I ordered it from EBGames about 2 months ago. I must be the first in the world.

TokyoDan :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:44 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: J P Falcon (Matrix Forum Member)

Let us know what you think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:45 pm 
Developer

I've played the tutorials and one scenerio. Now I'm playing online.

The game is like a fast moving, easy-to-use, up-to-date (as far as graphics and how you expect units to move/fire) version of Titans of Steel, but without the complexity. But Titans of Steel is still unique and very interesting.

It is also like Isle Battle Isle - The Ambrosia War, but without the resourse gathering and base building. And a lot less micro management.

It is also like Laser Squead Nemisis as far as internet play is concerned - you can stay in the game screen and send a request to see if the other player has finished his turn or you can leave the game (as I'm doing now) and wait for an email message that the other player has finished his turn. But Laser Squad Nemesis doesn't have a single player mode - Massive Assault does.

It also has a bit of the "feel" of Total Annihilation.

I get tired of most games after playing a short while and never master them because they always lack somthing I want or require to much involvement. I think this may be the gme I've been looking for for many years.

Here are some good links that I never knew about until I started playing MA online:

http://reviews.gaminghorizon.com/media/ ... 1,836.html
http://www.deadalfs.co.uk/reviews/1195/index.html
http://www.gmxmedia.net/massiveassault

Back to my online game - it is taking a while. My opponent must have stepped out for a beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:46 pm 
Developer

By the way. My opponent kicked my but. Of all the people who were playing at that time he was rated highest at General with 55 wins (56 after beating me). He also gave me a lot of advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:47 pm 
Developer

At least you are playing the game..I still cant find it anywhere and I live 5 minutes away from their distribution center....and as someone else noted...this is one dead forum for a newly released game....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:48 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: Erik Rutins (Matrix Forum Member)

JP,

This forum is a bit slow, but it was slow before release as well and the main thing that will pick that up is games getting into peoples' hands. As you've seen, distribution was also a bit slower than expected but games are getting out there and I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy soon. I expect in the next week or two activity here will pick up substantially.

Regards,

- Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:50 pm 
Developer

TokyoDan,

[quote]
Originally Posted by TokyoDan:

The game is like a fast moving, easy-to-use, up-to-date (as far as graphics and how you expect units to move/fire) version of Titans of Steel, but without the complexity. But Titans of Steel is still unique and very interesting. It is also like Isle Battle Isle - The Ambrosia War, but without the resourse gathering and base building. And a lot less micro management.

I get tired of most games after playing a short while and never master them because they always lack somthing I want or require to much involvement. I think this may be the gme I've been looking for for many years.
[quote]

Thanks for the comments, glad to hear you're having fun and I appreciate you posting to let everyone know how you're liking Massive Assault. I agree with you, this is an addictively fun strategy game and word is getting out.

Regards,

- Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:53 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: LarkinVB (Matrix Forum Member - MATRIX HERO)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoDan:

The game is like a fast moving, easy-to-use, up-to-date (as far as graphics and how you expect units to move/fire) version of Titans of Steel, but without the complexity. But Titans of Steel is still unique and very interesting.

I don't think Massive Assault is directly comparable with Titans of Steel. Its like comparing checkers with chess. Both great games with a different approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:55 pm 
Developer

Larkin,

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkinVB:

I don't think Massive Assault is directly comparable with Titans of Steel. Its like comparing checkers with chess. Both great games with a different approach.

Agreed, they're both great games that play quite differently. I think a better comparison for wargamers is Massive Assault = Panzer General while Titans of Steel = Steel Panthers. In each case, you get addictive gameplay but with a different level of detail. However, general comparisons will be inevitable to some degree since both deal with a Sci-Fi setting. My suggestion is to pick up both as that covers all bases.

Regards,

- Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:56 pm 
Developer

I just wanted to explain my comparison of MA and TOS.

1>The game is like a fast moving...
e.g. select a unit, click on an enemy, the unit will face and then fire on the enemy. TOS takes a couple of orders to perform the same complete action.

2>easy-to-use...
Same as 1. To complete certain actions, in TOS two or three orders are needed where in MA, one will suffice.

3>up-to-date (as far as graphics and how you expect units to move/fire)...
3-D graphics vs. 2-D. Also trees and water moves in MA.

4>but without the complexity...
Same as 1. Plus complexity of setting up jocks and titans. Turn (time) system in TOS is not user-friendly.

5>But Titans of Steel is still unique and very interesting...

As Larkin and Erik mentioned it is like comparing chess to checkers and the games play very differently. I agree. But the similarities are there: Turn-based, Hex-based. Mecha (war equipment) battles, no resource gathering nor base-building.

I think TOS is one of the best games ever created. It stays on my hard disk alongside MA. I love the turn-system. It is very unique and, to me, makes a lot of sense. I like the complexity (depth) when I have enough time to get into it. I also like the retro graphics. I think the designers/programmers of both games are geniuses. I am also a programmer but I could never create such complex (as far a necessary programming technique) works of art. I wasn't putting down TOS. I was just trying to explain in a simple way what MA is like.

TokyoDan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:57 pm 
Developer

I'm just grateful turn based is still "in" at Matrix...I am so sick and tired of every interesting historical and sci-fi game going the RTS route that it's good some companies still believe in turn based play......now if only I can get my hands on a copy of this game...should have ordered it I guess rather then relying on stores.......