Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Are some of these missions plainly impossible?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:09 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: jam3 (Matrix Forum Member)

I mean i love tough games but good lord some of the scenarios and campaign missions are unbelievably hard. The world war mode is actually pretty easy since you can basically configure your armies as you go along. The Icy campaign was not "that" hard, but I am in paradise now on step 5. This mission is just incredibly difficult. You have to defend a central country from attack from two phantom league countries. By itself the country is doomed.

You have amphibious forces that are FOUR turns away from the closest possible landing, and regardless of that they(4 LAVs, 3 Tanks, 1 Mech, 1 battleship, 1 carier (3 planes)) can barely overcome the 8 points of guerillas the phantom league spawns in the one country u can reach in four turns and the defending battleship and 2 destroyers. Not to mention the other troops he already has.

I have tried like 5 different strategies so far to no avail I am just so insanely outgunned that this seems impossible.

*first time i have used this forums i added some screenshots of the start of this step/mission. Oh and don't even get me started on some of those scenarios!!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/attac ... ntid=11442

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/attac ... ntid=11443

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:11 pm 
Developer

ok i see how they show up now. How do i get them to appear in the post iself is there a tag for this particular forum (standard html?), anyways.

Just wanted to add

- I have a ATI radeon 9800, 1 gig of ram, 3.2 HT fsb800, etc, those pics i had to tone down to attach them so there not the best quality.

- In the second picture you can see way back across the water the meager forces you have to send to the aid of the besieged country.

- the mission briefing is insanely vague, it simply tells you to hit the enemy in the rear and doesn;t adequetly tell you what you need to win, I assume you have to take at least one of the cities. If its about lasting a certain number of turns (which i havent seen anything turn related) then i have held it out about 15+ turns, which to me was no small feat.

- i don't normally cheat at games but i am not going to spend my life figuring out the single method (moving and purchasing the EXACT right units) to figure out missions like this one, especially when i don;t even know what the victory conditions are! Just wondering if theres anyway to skip a campaign mission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:33 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: J P Falcon (Matrix Forum Member)
:wink:
Remember, the World War game isn't won by what countries you win or lose but by the Balance percentage who acheive...If one of your countries appears doomed, then you need to exploit another area on the map, where you can either capture a neutral or an enemy secret ally...the AI does respond to threats to its' rear and flanks... so, if you can hold on and play a rugged defence, you might be able to work out an attack which forces the AI to pull out some of it's forces...in this game, losing a country does not automatically mean you will lose the game, especially if you can counter this lose with a victory elsewhere... the very fact that the game uses a balance percentage to determine victory illustrates how there will be an ebb and flow to the game...I will agree that some of the random placements make the game difficult but you can always reset the game and try for a better placement if you want...EDIT..I think I misunderstood your post...if you are referring to the campaigns and not the World War, then yes, you are correct, there are some very hard ones in this game...I'll need more time at them though to think whether or not they are unplayable...it could be that I'm just not good at them yet.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:36 pm 
Developer

Doh!

I think you read the post incorrectly. This is the CAMPAIGN, the second one "Paradise", and I am on step 5. I have to win the mission in order to advance. And i have played 2 world wars and won, its fun and not that hard (the AI is really good though). This particular mission is insanely hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:37 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: FortuneWheel (Matrix Forum Member)

Hello!

I got very curious as well whether I manage to complete step 5 on New Paradise. Well, I wouldn't say it was ANY easy, but still is possible to accomplish. :wink:

Small hint: you should bear in mind that revenue can be carried over to next step once you don't spent it on purchasing new units!

So here's the walkthrough: On step3 I captured country of Jorent and bought only 1 Amphibian to support my forces in Tura (I was smart enough not to purchase much units on Step2 and $10 allowed me to oppose invasion from Arnadom quite effectively). So I had revenue $9 left on Jorent during the Step4 campaign and saved it for Step5 (actually I could wait several more turns and accumulate more money in Jorent on Step3). Anyway, $9 was enough to buy 1 naval transport and load it with 3 tanks and 1 LAV for successful destructive invasion into Nergana(of course guerillas killed my LAV easily, but the remained 3 tanks landed safely next turn out of enemy's fire range in Nergana). The rest on Step 5 is easy to get done!

Good luck to jam3 and everyone!

Cheers,
FortuneWheel

P.S. I'm trying not to imagine the complexity of Step6. I'm hoping the miracle would happed and I will pass it.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:39 pm 
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneWheel:

Hello!

Small hint: you should bear in mind that revenue can be carried over to next step once you don't spent it on purchasing new units!

DOH!! Now I have to replay the campaign from the start! I was always wondering about that. It kinda looked like it did affect particular cities revenue. They should state that somewhere in the manual!

Last edited by Vic on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:40 pm 
Developer

POSTED BY: Vadim (Matrix & Wargaming.net Forum Member)

yeah, possibility to leave some money from the previous step to use it in the next gives a filling of something nonlinar
8)

BTW: even if you speding all money you have every turn, it is possible to comlete all of campaigns.
Someday when I'll have a lot of free time I'll may be create replays for each step of each of campaigns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:44 pm 
Developer

Hey vadim!

BTW I am enjoying our anarticus game! How do you send me msg's each turn, I don't see an option to send msgs when you end your turn and hit connect, nor anywhere else for that matter.

Oh and step 5 of paradise is the real *&^%$#@!). I have finshed the other three campaigns.