Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: General thinking about balance in wargames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:30 am 
Tough Nut

General thinking about balance in wargames... I hope that MA developers will find something useful for their future games. Read at http://www.geocities.com/golub_m2000/bsystem/ind.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:18 am 
Tough Nut

Sorry for replying self, but my semi article was updated with new page :) http://www.geocities.com/golub_m2000/bs ... cspecs.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:57 am 
Developer

So are you going to design a tabletop game or a computer game?
Your second article deals with computer only concept (it will be very hard to implement ticks with pen and paper). This concept is widely used in RPG games (adom for example). For some reason it wasn't implemented in HMM series (there were discussions about it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:38 am 
Tough Nut

Off-computer board game would be different, it would not have tics, but normal turns instead, but areal blessings and curese would exist in it. I'll add boardgame design basics later (soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:00 am 
Tough Nut

Sorry for popping the thread but my PC game description was updated... Design document will be released soon :) Updated OC desc is at http://www.geocities.com/golub_m2000/bs ... cspecs.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:44 am 
Developer

what is the expected average number of units per side? How many players?

BTW:The engine you described is an RTS engine. You only need to provide a layer between player and units that in 99% gives a move or fire order to a unit in delayed state. You also need to generate ticks by timer and make some relevant animation of order execution.
Well it's just an idea how you can convert RTS into TBS and visa-versa.

I wish I could translate some articles about a game being developed by a Russian team - tactical combat simulator of a modern merc group. Their actions are measured in miliseconds(ticks). That engine is similar to UFO:Aftermath tactical engine, but provide much more information and control to the player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:56 am 
Tough Nut

Give me link to their site.

The game designed in this prototype pf design document (one day it will grow to real design document, just wait) is fully TBS, but its balance and development lines (and maybe time needed to play a game) are like in RTS. It's like playing C&C in full turn based (OK, not really C&C ;) ) I think that's interesting idea, but I'm really bad programmer... And as one developer said "Design document without development worth 0.83 cents" ;) I posted this at pages of some linux projects but noone is interested, linux developers work in spare time just for fun and want to implement their own ideas... So I'm studying DX for Win (and C++ as well) but I'm not very good in that.

I searched the web and it looks like if implemented game based on BACD principle would be the first of it's kind, tic idea is not popular in TBS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:35 am 
Developer

The article is in russian.
http://articles.dtf.ru/index.php?type=id&publ_id=49045

and the site of the game:
http://www.e5brigade.ru/

About popularity of TBS: there are few TBS games in development now (even hard to remember their names) and those games that use ticks or a similar system are developed as real-time. The main advantage of this approach is to allow several players play the same game together without long pauses between turns. They still allow to pause the game, but it's just a feature, not main design concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:48 am 
Tough Nut

E5 is totally different game, it includes simultaneous move from RTSes, it is more realistic, but reduces tactical think-based value of game (IMHO). Also as i understand from review mercs in E5 instead of delay move orders are ordered to use their REA skill...

The project server is curently offline, I'll check it out later.

I return to my point again: realism and beutiful look are not among the planned features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:17 am 
Developer

It was just an example of a project that uses almost the same system as ticks for a game that resembles UFO, Laser Squad(original)(both are plain TBS games).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:26 pm 
Tough Nut

Real TBStrategies have a lot of units and unit types but all units are mass productinable (not unique).

Squad TB games are of sort "You must win taking no cassualties, use Save/Load if you can't"... In my game both sides even in single player would take serious cassualties.