Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A dozen of new scenarios (beta version)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:33 pm 
Developer

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Wargaming.net is going to release a dozen of new scenarios soon. We'd like to give you beta versions of these scenarios. We hope that most of them are easy enough ;)

We would appreciate your comments very much. They may be about difficulty/duration level, wording, typos, technical problems and your opinion of course.

Just download and run attached file.
Waiting for your posts here.

P.S. For your convenience the names of these scenarios are listed below:

Amphibian Assault
Beachhead
Beat'em Back
Bloody Channel
Border Conflict
Circle of Fire
Counterstrike
Interception
Saving the Revolution
Small Affair
To the Hell Gates
Two-front Battle

Attachments:
Scenarios December 2003 Setup.exe [306.92 KiB]
Downloaded 1291 times

Last edited by VaNO on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:15 pm 
Sea Wolf

time to go test them out thanks vano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:03 pm 
Conscript

Hey guys, I have finally finished all the new scenarios, and here's a couple of comments. First of all, let me appoligize for being so anal about all the mistakes, but if you want a professional product, youmay want to watch out for every spelling error and everything. Second, let me tell you where I stand: So far, I found the game to be very hard, making ot only as far as Breakthrough in scenarios and taking three tries to win Antarcticus. My main problem is that without a hex grid, I find it difficult to correctly judge what the enemy can attack in the next turn, which is especially frustrating with its rocket launchers. As such, I welcomed the additional experience these scenarios provided. I'll mainly comment on the spelling errors, but I'll also say a word or two about how I liked each scnario. (Also, please be aware that English is not my native language, either, and that I may have missed other errors.)

Overall
Overall, I think they were very well integrated into the existing scenarios, offering increasing difficulty (with two exceptions). I liked the fact that I could play the Phantom League (even though this now messes up the manual), and the fact that I got the chance to try out all kinds of units, even naval ones. However, I found many of the scenarios a little unbalanced, finishing with way too many units standing. I'll get to those when I describe the scenarios.

Amphibian Assault
I found this one a little on the easy side, and I was able to rush the enemies without any problem. Maybe one or two fewer amphibians would make me actually think about where and how to deploy them.

Grammar
Screen 1. "This is the island of Vetora, the Phantom League naval post, that produces serious problems for our navigation in the region." Assuming that by "navigation" you mean "navy", I'd change the wording to "This is the island of Vetora, the Phantom League Naval post, which poses a serious threar for our navy in this region." (there's no comma in front of "that", but there is one in front of "which")
Screen 2. "The enemy left no garrison there relying on the Death Turrets' power. However he has made a mistake." This is a comma problem; there will be more of those later. A more correct wording would be "The enemy left no garrison here, relying instead on the Death Turrets' power. However, he has made a mistake."
Screen 4. "However your Amphibian flotilla..." should be "However, your Amphibian flotilla..."

Beachhead
I really liked this one; it had a nice balance and offered enough challenge for an easy game. In addition, I think that this is one of the scenarios that gets people hooked to Massive Assault.

Grammar
Screen 1. "Responding to the call of its suffering population the Revolutionary Commitee..." should read "Responding to the call of its suffering population, the Revolutionary Commitee..."
Screen 2. "...and placing his heavy artillery..." should be "...and placing its heavy artillery..." In my own native language, an enemy is a "he". However, in politically correct English, an enemy is "it".
Screen 5. "It is time to enlight this poor country with a flame of revolution." This is a little awkward, especially since "enlight" isn't really a word. I'd say someting like "It is time to spark the flame of revolution in this poor country."

Beat 'em Back
I found this scenario interesting for a first-time invasion experience for the player, but a little too stationary. I don't think I moved my troops too much at all.

Grammar
Screen 1. "...ready to start the full-scaled invasion..." should read "...reasy to start a full-scale invasion..."
Screen 2. "This forest is our natural ally that will slow down the enemy advance." This is a little awkward; I'd say: "This forest, our natural ally, will slow down the enemy advance."
Screen 3. "It enables you to employ your heavy artillery as well as aviation." I would rephrase this to "It enables you to use your heavy artillery, as well as the bombers." (English has the bad habit of sounding better when it's kept simple.)

Bloody Channel
This was a simple slugfest. However, I found it a little too easy, as I ended up with too many Destroyers at the end of the combat. Maybe fewer Destroyers would keep it still simple and more balanced. In addition, I found it frustrating that towards the end of the combat the two remaining enemies retreated to the edge of the map, and I couldn't attack them from all sides.

Grammar
Screen 1. "The armada of the Phantom League Firestorms is trying to force a passage into the heart of the planet of Anubis to shell peaceful cities of the F.N.U. Allies." This wording is a little heavy handed. I'd try the following: "An armada consisting of Phantom League Firestorms is trying to force their way into the heart of Anubis, hoping to bombard peaceful F.N.U. allies."
Screen 2. "Fortunatelly, the special Destroyer flotilla has blocked the way and ready to stop the invaders." would sound better as "Fortunately, a hastily assembled fleet of Destroyers has blocked the way and is ready to stop the invaders." (Watch for the typo on "Fortunately" as well.)

Border Conflict
I found this scenario quite tough, and ended it with an Amphibian and a Rocket Launcher. Even so, I won only because I took the enemy's capital and cleared its ally. The enemy had enough firepower to destroy me, already took my capital and chased my rocket launcher all the way to the far border, so it could not come back in time to save its country. People who just started and came to this scenario may find it a little challenging. I think it would be interesting to explore what would happen if the player got the first turn.

Grammar
Screen 1. "...Dutchy of Berglandia, fhe F.N.U. Ally..." should read "...Dutchu of Berglandia, an F.N.U. Ally..."
Screen 2. "...along the border ready to cross it..." misses a comma: "...along the border, ready to cross it..."
Screen 3. "Mostly it is composed of LAVs that are unable to resist Bio-Ts' attack for long." A little awkward. Try "For the most part, it is composed of LAVs, which will be unable to resist the Bio-Ts' attack for long."
Screen 5. "They are suitable for turning the enemy's flank." This makes no sense. You may want to try either "They are good for outflanking the enemy." or "They are ready to stike at the enemy's flank.", depending on what you meant.
Screen 6 "But first of all they must sink the enemy Firestorm..." should read "But first of all, they must sink the enemy Firestorm..."

Counterstrike
I founs this to be a copy of the "Bloody Channel", only on ground. I ended with five tanks, enough to stall the last Ostrich for long enough for one of my tanks to take the enemy's capital. I was curious whether that would end the scenario, and it indeed did.

Gramar
Screen 1. "Obviously he is going to invade..." misses a comma. "Obviously, he isgoing to invade..."

Interception
This one was a lot of fun. I ended with only a few units, mainly thanks to the empty transports serving as target practice for one group of ships while I handled the other group. This scenario also showed me the power of battleships against rocket launchers, as they can move really far before attacking.

Grammar
Screen 1. "Now the mixed squadron..." should read "Now, a mixed squadron..."
Screen 4. "Support the operation by the simultaneous..." whould be "Support the operation by a simultaneous..."
Screen 5. "Use them propierly, Commander." contains a typo (should be "properly")

Small Affair
This is indeed a very small affair, very straight forward and very easy. I think it's misplaced; I'd put it higher on the list as a good introduction of rocket launchers.

Grammar
Screen 1. "We have thought the F.N.U. generals to be clever that they actually are." Not good. Try "We thought that the F.N.U. generals are more clever than they actually are." or "We gave the F.N.U. generals more credit than they deserve." Or, if you want to go all fancy, try something like "The F.N.U. general have surprised us, not with their attack but with their incompetence."

The Hell Gates
Short and sweet, but very stationary. I ended with enough units to take over the rest of the continent without much of a problem. Maybe if there were fewer tanks to delat the counterattack...

Grammar
Screen 1. "Our glorious army is ready to liberate of the State of Vernon suffering from the Phantom League despotic rule." The wording is very awkward. I'd try something like this: "Our units are ready to liberate the State of Vernon, which suffers under the despotic rule of the Phantom League."
Screen 2. "The Enemy tries to stop our advance with four Death Turrets completely blocking the way into his country." Another awkward prasing. How about this? "Currently, the enemy's Death Turrets ace completely blocking the way into Vernon."
Screen 5. "But be careful. General." "Be careful, General" sounds better.

Two-front Battle
This is by far he toughest scenario in the beta pack. Even though I knew the layout of the battle very well, fighting three world wars there, I still needed several attempts to finish it. The only way for me to win was to concentrate all my firepower on one country, conquering it and getting income each turn to replenish my units. I found it harder than "Breakthrough" and quite long. I'd say you reclassify this as Medium difficulty and Medium duration scenario.

Grammar
Screen 3. "To recruit the army F.N.U. generals also have spent the resources of Nova Polska." The wording is quite heavy-handed. It's say something like "The F.N.U. generals have spent all resources of Nova Polska to raise such a strong force."
Screen 5. "Nevertheless they have managed to assemble two large groups that have already invaded..." should read "Nevertheless, they have managed two large armies and already invaded..."
Screen 6. "Obviously these bloody opressors..." should be "Obviously, these bloody oppressors..." (watch for the typo in "oppressors")

Circle of Fire
A very easy scenario, but very entertaining especially for people who don't want to raise armies in a world war. I fount it to be a great tutorial in larger-scale warfare, unit ransport and very entertaining, thanks to the enormous size of the battle. I noptice one bug here, though: the capital of Westernburg has a wrong flag.

Grammar
Screen 2. "As you see our Invincible Revolutionary Forces have almost completed the investment of the enemy army." This makes no sense to me. I think you tried to say that "As you can see, our invincible Revolutionary Forces have almost completed the encirclement of the enemy army."

Saving the Revolution
I found this scenario to be so entertaining that I played it twice; once to just defend my country and the other time to concentrate my firepower on one country at a time and actually take the capitals. The balance was great, too.

Grammar
Screen 5. "You are appointed Arriban's army commander to beat the invaders back." Again, I could not make sense of this. If the commander appointed you, the sentence should read "The commander of the Arriban's army ordered you to beat back the invaders." If you are the commander, the sentence should be something like "As the appointed commander of Arriban's army, it is your duty to beat back the invaders."
Screen 6. "You are well-provided with long-ranged artillery both mobile and stationary to impose severe punishment upon insolent aggressors." This is quite awkward. I'd rephrase it to "You have both mobile and stationary artillery under your command. Their number is sufficient to impose severe punishment upon the invaders."

Once again, sorry for being so pedantic about the grammar errors, but this was the only part of the presentation that was really weak. The graphics in this game are awesome, as well as the balance, which I can compare only to Moonbase Commander from recent games. I'm having lots of fun with the game and even more sleepless nights, so I thought I'd give you a little back by telling you what I thought about the new scenarios. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:00 am 
Developer

Great! NetDanzr, thank you very much for your comments. They are really what we were looking. Making easy scenarios is a bit hard to us. I think you know why :wink:
I will reclassify scenarios according your oppinion and check the balance where it is needed. And, of course, fix spelling. Scenarios was not given to a proof-reader specially :)
By the way, I'm pedantic too and I think there is no need to apologize for it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:22 pm 
Conscript

Glad I was of some help :). But you may consider waiting for other comments; I'm just one player who has barely broken into the game (even though by now I'm a proud winner of two world wars and suffer from sleep deficit), and others may have different opinions ;)

Post subject: new easier scenarios
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:51 pm 
I have played the first 3 new scenarios and they are indeed easier that the old ones. New players should have no trouble winning them after a cou^ple of tries. They could be good for practice after the tutorials and before tackling the tougher scenarios or campaigns.

Henri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:15 am 
Developer

NetDanzr if you will press left-shift and move mouse pointer over map you can see units which can hit hex under mouse in next turn - they will be highlighted with red circles above them, also if you want to bring hex grid in view you can press left-ctrl ( though it will disappear when you select unit or something ) ; moreover you can press 'N' key to select next unit which can act in this turn - this is very useful with big maps and big clashes. That is all keys that I need to never have my units attacked by surprise and to plan my operations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:19 pm 
Developer

We have reviewed this scenarios and:
1) Fixed all spelling errors. They were almost everywhere, even more than NetDanzr mentioned ;-) We have inserted some interesting spellings offered by NetDanzr. Thanks a lot to him!
2) Changed difficulty level of "Two-front Battle" scenario to MEDIUM.

We decided not to change the balance in scenarios and we've left all units in their positions.

There is no bug in "Circle of Fire" scenario. Westernberg is F.N.U. Ally and you will get indemnity when you capture it.

So, we are going to release these scenarios officially very soon. Is there any comments or suggestions more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:55 pm 
Conscript

Alex: Many thanks for the tips. I have noticed the keyboard commands in the manual but never actually tried them out.

VaNO: What I meant with "Circle of Fire" was that after capturing the city, the flag never changed. I noticed it only because I didn't get the "You've captured the capital of Westernberg" message, so I assumed that I owned the city from the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:18 am 
Developer

These scenarios are officially released just now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:37 am 
Tough Nut

Well, YaNO, you know my opinion conserning the scenarios :)
They are simply great!