Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scenario win conditions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:05 pm 
Tough Nut

I keep finding that the scenario win conditions are not correct, or at least not what is stated in the mission briefing or the scenario description. Many of the later scenario's say to "capture two enemy allies" or something like that, but in reality you don't actually have to do that. On some of the tougher scenario's instead of trying to attack the enemy in order to take over his territory, instead you can just sit back and take a defensive position and not worry about running out of resources because you won't need them to attack. As soon as all enemy units are destroyed, you win. Even if you only have 1 LAV left and are supposed to have to conquer 2 enemy countries, you'll still win even if you don't do that.

I don't know how the scenario's are written so I don't know if the win conditions can be changed, but it's just a little misleading.

And this isn't a complaint, just an observation. MA is an awesome game and I love all the strategic options available. I like the fact that it is simple to learn and yet complicated to master. I hate all those games that boast of having 100 different units but you really only use like 2 of them. This game really has a use for all the units in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:13 pm 
P.L. Marshal

/agree Wasabe
yes that seems overall rule is - if all enemy units destroyed you win
regardless of territorial control

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

I for one am certainly glad about this "feature" :D. I remember barely surviving one scenario after being reduced to my last unit, a damaged rocket launcher. I wasn't about to use that to invade a neighboring medium country *wince*. I think that this is good though, it cuts down how long you have to fight the enemy in the winding down phase. Of course if you're missing the challenge, you could always choose to invade the neighboring territories before you destroy the last unit...

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:41 pm 
Conscript

I also found the opposite to be true. In one scenario, I was supposed to destroy all enemy units. I was reduced to a rocket launcher and an amphibian, and with that amphibian I took the enemy capital at a time when the much superior enemy forces were chasing my rocket launcher on the other side of my continent. The whole country became mine and I automatically won. Not that I'm complaining, though ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:57 am 
Conscript

Yes, this is my biggest frustration with the game - even more so than the thoughness of the AI:

1) In the last campaign, mission 3 or 4 I think, you are told to hold the enemy offensive in the "west" and attack in the "east", and take the enemy provinces. At least to me this seems utterly impossible - I ended up withdrawing to a corner and sending an amphibian force to the north to try and distract the AI or screw up his production. I took the enemy capital/province, and was declared the winner. I had no chance to win.

2) On the last mission of the Last Campaign, I'm told take the capital of "x" province where the enemy leaders are, and the war will be over. I took the capital, and nothing happened. Instead I had to take not only that province, but the other province.

3) There's another one in the "Paradise" campaign, can't remember which one now, but it also gives you a faulty victory condition.

Grifman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am 
Developer

NetDanzr wrote:
I also found the opposite to be true. In one scenario, I was supposed to destroy all enemy units. I was reduced to a rocket launcher and an amphibian, and with that amphibian I took the enemy capital at a time when the much superior enemy forces were chasing my rocket launcher on the other side of my continent. The whole country became mine and I automatically won. Not that I'm complaining, though ;)

That must have been "Two Chambers", eh?