Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: N00b multiplayer question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:24 pm 
Conscript

Anytime I try to connect to a multiplayer game the connection screen stays up and blocks my view. How do I minimize or eliminate it? I tried searching for this so, sorry if it's been asked before. I've also RTFM.

Help please?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:17 pm 
Conscript

I have the same question. It's even worse for me because I play the game on low graphics settings, so the screen is even larger. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:28 pm 
Conscript

Yep. Now I'm having problems even connecting and getting in a game. The MAN download is seperate? This just seems a little convoluted to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:36 pm 
Conscript

Okay, I just (sorta) figured it out. Everything that came in the box is NOT everything you need to play online. Apparently you need the MAN download too (which makes no sense since the game has a multiplayer function built in) and then a subscription.
As much as I'd like to play on-line against humans instead of the A.I., no thanks.
This is honestly the first time I've ever seen anything like this. Thank god I called my brother and stopped him from buying the game before it was too late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:54 pm 
Supreme Marshal

I don't understand why you can't select mutiplayer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:09 pm 
Conscript

I must be missing something painfully obvious.
I'll do this from the beginning and please, feel free to jump in and tell me what I'm doing wrong and/or if I'm making incorrect assumptions.

Bought, installed and started playing the game.
Once I get the hang of it I decide that I want to get my a$$ handed to me on-line.
I click on multiplayer and set up my profile. So far so good.
I look for waiting challenges and jump into one. Now the chat screen is blocking my view and I can't minimize or close it. I try again with another game and this time it seems to work okay. Just waiting for the other player to move.
Now, while looking for other games the connect mini-screen comes up and does nothing. Yep, all connection are good; I'm not missing anything simple.
I come here and check downloads just for fun. There's a MAN download available so I try it. Nope; not what I was looking for and I'm DAMN sure not paying a subscription fee (Battlenet = free anyone?).
Like I said, maybe I'm doing something horribly wrong but this is not intuitive. There is nothing that comes with the game that clearly explains the problems I'm having (including the PDF manual).

My ultimate goal? To get my brother to buy and install the game and whoop his a$$ online from a few states away. Secondary goal; get on-line and challenge others to build my skill level and learn the true definition of humility :wink:

Current problem; when selecting "in progress" games from my multiplayer list (I seem to have a few going now) I can't connect to them.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a fantastic game and yeah, I guess I could suck it up and pay a few bucks for a subscription, although I don't see the point. Maybe I'm looking for too much simplicity. I'm going to RTFM again and make sure I'm not missing anything subtle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:11 pm 
Conscript

Just missed your reply Tiger, please see above. Thank you for such a quick response :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:28 pm 
P.L. Marshal

first of all this is part of forum with general discussion not the user support...all technical bugs covered in user support part of forum.
maybe you have bug that was covered in other threads you not read.currently there is a bug connected with in-game chat option so you should go to options menu and turn it off.this bug will be fixed in nearest patch but so far you can NOT have in-game chat active.After you turn it off it should be okay.if not then you have your own bug so you should email tsupport@massiveassault.com attaching nessessary files like your ma log and
dxdiag file of your system.
you do not need MAN to play this game online so all you write about it is noncence.

Last edited by Mrakobes on Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:32 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Verbal wrote:
Bought, installed and started playing the game.

What game do you have (MA, MAN or Domination)?

Verbal wrote:
I look for waiting challenges and jump into one. Now the chat screen is blocking my view and I can't minimize or close it. I try again with another game and this time it seems to work okay. Just waiting for the other player to move.

You can close chat window in game by clicking "x" at corner of Chat-window in the game or you can turn-off chat in the options (Menu > Options).

Verbal wrote:
I come here and check downloads just for fun. There's a MAN download available so I try it. Nope; not what I was looking for and I'm DAMN sure not paying a subscription fee (Battlenet = free anyone?).

You can play in MAN on Emeral without any payment.
All other maps in MAN just for players with subscription.

Verbal wrote:
Current problem; when selecting "in progress" games from my multiplayer list (I seem to have a few going now) I can't connect to them.

I don't understand "in progress games". There are "current games" (your turn, these games availabe for loading) and "waiting for turn" (these games can't be loaded, because of you sent turn and should wait turn of your opponent).
Don't forget to send turn when you did it (click "send & recieve").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:11 pm 
Conscript

Thanks for the help Tiger. Once I get this figured out I'd be honored to be your next game victim.

What game do you have (MA, MAN or Domination)?
I have Domination (recent US release). This may be part of the problem. I may be looking at information for previous games in the series. That would explain a lot.

You can close chat window in game by clicking "x" at corner of Chat-window in the game or you can turn-off chat in the options (Menu > Options).
I don't see an X to close but I'll try options. Just realized that when I click too fast sometimes the game seems to stall. Slowing down a little may help here.

I missed something here. Assuming it wasn't a spelling error; what is Emeral? I also decided to stop being a cheap Ba$tard and will pay a subscription if I have to. This game is worth it. My problem is that I don't understand what downloads I need to get the game I have hooked up and ready to play.

I don't understand "in progress games". There are "current games" (your turn, these games availabe for loading) and "waiting for turn" (these games can't be loaded, because of you sent turn and should wait turn of your opponent).
Don't forget to send turn when you did it (click "send & recieve").[/quote]

I think I understand this part. Yes, I am looking at current games. I must be waiting for the opponent to make their move. Are you also saying that when I am finished moving that I need to click on send/receive after I back out to the menu screen to finalize what I just did? That may be something I overlooked too.

Hope these answers help not only me but anyone else who got lost. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:30 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Verbal wrote:
I missed something here. Assuming it wasn't a spelling error; what is Emeral? I also decided to stop being a cheap Ba$tard and will pay a subscription if I have to. This game is worth it. My problem is that I don't understand what downloads I need to get the game I have hooked up and ready to play.

I've thought you asked about subscription on MAN. Emerald is free map for trial in this game.
Domination is other game and I don't know situation with subscription for this game.

Verbal wrote:
I think I understand this part. Yes, I am looking at current games. I must be waiting for the opponent to make their move. Are you also saying that when I am finished moving that I need to click on send/receive after I back out to the menu screen to finalize what I just did? That may be something I overlooked too.

Yes, you can send turns at the end of your turn or you can turn-off this suggestion in the option and send turn at the any time from "current games" by using "send & recieve".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:32 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Verbal wrote:
Thanks for the help Tiger. Once I get this figured out I'd be honored to be your next game victim.

Send me challenge if you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:00 pm 
Conscript

Okay,....think I got it now. Everything seems to be working a little better. The only thing I'm still confused about is the subscription service. From inside the Domination game it seems like you can play on any map in the game. I'm guessing that I was getting information on a previous game in the series which caused most of the trouble.

Thanks again Tiger.

P.S. The authentication key in the box DOES say that it's free for X amount of time and that subscription is necessary afterwards. Maybe I'll see that option one day when I start up the game. Until then I'm good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:32 am 
Sea Wolf

you get 4 months free then to carry on playing online u'll need to pay a subscription (read it somewhere on the forums)

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:59 am 
Conscript

Thanks to people like Tiger I figured out what the problems were. A serious blend of minor tech problems and a heavy dose of misunderstanding. Thanks again Tiger. I'd whip that challenge off if you weren't marked as do not disturb 8)

Thanks again all, see you in-game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:59 pm 
Conscript

Yes, so far, this game is a mud covered diamond; if you can get past the graphic problems, and the lock-ups, and the fact that you can ONLY play e-mail turns on the net (the most glaring mistake the Devs made in my opinion); and the Chat-Screen bug, and the woefully skimpy rule book, you have a VERY enjoyable game. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:10 am 
Sea Wolf

Mistake? The game was designed in the 'play-by-mail' style from the start. It lets you study the situation and come up with the best moves, rather than just doing some retarded grunt rush like in a RTS game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:08 am 
Supreme Marshal

GamesMan wrote:
Yes, so far, this game is a mud covered diamond; if you can get past the graphic problems, and the lock-ups, and the fact that you can ONLY play e-mail turns on the net (the most glaring mistake the Devs made in my opinion); and the Chat-Screen bug, and the woefully skimpy rule book, you have a VERY enjoyable game. . .

As far as I know, you can play in LAN-mode by using Internet.