What turn queue do you prefere?
Old One (concurrent initial disclose) 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
New One(consecutive initial disclose) 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:58 am 
Developer

I agree with Maelstrom too.

But we are currently implementing possibility to play internet games in lan-style, ingame time limit and inteface improvement.

So i prefere more simple turn sequence.
At least in nearest future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:54 am 
Tough Nut

Enforcer wrote:
i prefere Vixens idea of pl disclosing 1, while fnu discloses 2. As otherwise pl will be disclosing on the defensive as fnu will know which country they r disclosing.

I don't see a problem with PL being forced to be a little more defensive while allowing FNU to be a little more offensivly oriented at disclosure. PL won't have to be completely defensively oriented at disclosure...it still gets a whole turn to move and deploy reinforcements. The PL player will have to chose an SA that is less exposed to attack and might have to place a smallfoot or two on a border where an attack might occur. But he won't have to cover every border completely like many FNU players do today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:59 am 
Sea Wolf

how aobut we just make it random who gets to go 1st? that way both sides have to deploy preparing for the worst?

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:49 am 
Sea Wolf

Enforcer wrote:
how aobut we just make it random who gets to go 1st? that way both sides have to deploy preparing for the worst?

Good move :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:12 am 
Sea Wolf

yuck, random factors disgust me.

i really, really dislike that idea.

Mentor

Clan War Site:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar/

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Master Yoda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:28 am 
Conscript

Randomizing the first move [u][b]might[/b][/u] be helpful in balancing the sides. However, I think this would lend itself to taking risks and gambling.

I do not think random first moves will lead up to players setting up defensively as some others have suggested. 50% of the time you get to go first anyway and usually the enemy will not disclose in an oppposing territory. More often than not you would be correct to set up offensive operations. If you do this and the other player is set up conservatively (i.e defensively) you will get an early advantage. You may lose badly when you move second and set up for the offensive but atleast it will be over quickly. I would always set up for the attack as I would get a favorable position most of the games I play. Depending on the map size I would guess you would get a favorable attack position 90% of the games. I think before long others would figure this out as well.

Antonio's option B would be devastating in some games. Moving and attacking in two consecutive turns without getting fired upon? With the right setup this could be overwhelming.

So far I like FNU seeing PL's disclosure country but not the unit setup best.

I think I have a better idea...

Keep the game the same as now but do not allow PL to disclose another country on its first turn. This way they go first but can only attack with one country on turn 1.

If gamers notice this becomes an advantage for FNU then allow PL to see FNU's disclosure country but not their unit setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:46 am 
Sea Wolf

Daledvm wrote:
Keep the game the same as now but do not allow PL to disclose another country on its first turn. This way they go first but can only attack with one country on turn 1.

How does this change the game flow? Sure, it takes some steam from PL (which if it gets an advantage in the first turn on a small map it will keep it by continually staying one step ahead of FNU), but it doesn't change the problem that FNU is forced to play defensively in disclosure.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:38 am 
Conscript

Maelstrom I understand your thinking but in my opinion I would disagree with you. I do not think that FNU would have to play defensively if they know they will get their second country out before the PL player does. I also think that the PL player would have to be much more careful in his first turn with only 1 secret country declared. I would think the strategies involved (defensive\offensive) would depend more on the map and the random starting positions.

With my idea:
Simultaneous disclosure of 1st country.
PL gets 1st move but with only 1 countries units. (no disclosure allowed)
FNU gets 2nd move with 2 countries units.
PL gets 3rd move with 2 countries units.
FNU gets 4th move with 3 countries units.
PL gets 5th move with 3 countries units.
and so on...

Looks pretty balanced to me. PL has the advantage in moves and FNU has more units on board until all countries are disclosed and then it all evens out by that time...

I am looking to balance the gameplay without adding too much luck. I am not trying to change offensive or defensive gamestyles. I have already playtested this at home with a friend and we seem to like it so far. I think it comes very close to a balance this way. It is also nice that with a house rule we can come close to a balanced game with no patch needed at all. Try it you may like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:56 am 
Tough Nut

Daledvm wrote:
Randomizing the first move might be helpful in balancing the sides. However, I think this would lend itself to taking risks and gambling.

Randomizing the first move also takes away from the back story of the game. PL goes first because it is supposed to be the _aggressor_. That isn't critical to me, but it has come up before and others have raised it as a concern.

As for encouraging risk taking...I don't see a problem with that. I've often setup FNU on a completely offensive footing...the larger the map, the more likely I am to do that. Is it a risk? Sure. But it has on occasion led to a rapid victory. With the first move randomized, FNU would be a bit more likely to take a risk in hopes of moving first, but PL would be a bit less likely. So it would balance out.

My strategy would likely be: If I have a good defensible starting position, I'd setup somewhat defensive and hope my enemy makes a mistake I can exploit. If I have a bad starting position or one where I could have two territories attack a neutral or SA large territory, I'd set up more offensively.

I think I favor Maelstrom's position. Let FNU see what country PL has disclosed, but not it's troop deployement. This would actually fit the back story very well. FNU can tell that some crisis is rising and is able to deply troops in response, but can't use them until the threat is fully realized. For FNU to disclose allies and deploy troops without any indication about which countries will fall to the PL doesn't make a lot of sense.