Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paradise campaign - mission 7
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:37 am 
Veteran

Mission starts with me having 2 robots + 3 tanks, NO revenue per turn and advice to use amphibians ... point is - there are NO amphibians anywhere on the map...and with the enemy producing light vehichles(he - DOES have resourseful countrIES) I can`t either disengage from the battle I`m placed right into from the start OR get to his RL `cause LA just keep appearing.

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:17 pm 
Conscript

Hehehe, tell me exactly how you won Mission 1 - you have a battleship, 6 amphibians, 2 tanks, and a landing craft - against 2 mechs, 3 rocket launchers, and 4 LAVs, plus guerrillas. I don't see how to win - the enemy outranges me, even if I take all my revenue and buy one rocket launcher and put it on the island. I don't see anyway to win this scenario.

Plus, I don't understand - it keep saying I lose the scenario, but there is no time limit given. But the moment I fire on the enemy if I don't land a unit, it says I lose.

FYI, some of these scenario descriptions are bugged - what you have to do to win does NOT match what you are told. This is a bit frustrating. I was told in the last mission of the Last Campaign, take a specific enemy capital and the game would be over - well, I did, but it wasn't. I had to on and conquer the entire island. The misleading mission objectives are my major gripe so far with the game.

Grifman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:22 pm 
P.L. Marshal

ROFL
Grilfman arent you resourceful :D you manage to have problems even with THIS :lol:
this one is probably simplest of all campaing scenarios easily completed via most stupid tactics - frontal assault.
attached replay -
(probably that's not best way to do it - probably it can be done with minimal losses but i am lazy to replay it)

Attachments:
paradize1.rep [12.45 KiB]
Downloaded 1695 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:39 pm 
Hahaha, well, part of the problem is figuring out what the force mix should be :) I started out with buying a rocket launcher to try and offset his range, but that didn't work, so I finally went with LAVs to try and outlast him - and finally won before looking at your replay. Even so it was just by a hair that I won.

In looking at how you did it vs. how I did it, the big difference was that you used the landing craft in combo with the LAV to take out the third enemy missile launcher. Then the battleship and tanks to take out the mechs. I didn't realize that landing craft could carry an amphibian tank unit.

Even so, you are highly dependent upon what the AI does. For example, they could have taken out your battleship with one of their mechs at one point. If that had happened, you'd still be crying about how you couldn't win this scenario. A simple mistake on your part or the AI's part makes the difference in this one. It is not as easy as you make it out to be.

Grifman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:56 pm 
P.L. Marshal

where you seen me using LAVs? i used none in this scenario
and again you are wrong...AI not moved mechs to kill battleship because it was out of their range in first turn and intentionally offered them closer target (which they stuck with) .though the scenario can be won without that battleship.
but speaking generally - well, yes in MA there are some players mistakes which can change the whole course of battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:48 am 
Mrakobes wrote:
where you seen me using LAVs? i used none in this scenario

Sorry, I meant amphibians, I said LAV first, but if you look you'll see I corrected myself and said amphibian the second time.

Quote:
and again you are wrong...AI not moved mechs to kill battleship because it was out of their range in first turn and intentionally offered them closer target (which they stuck with) .

You're right, from the angle I was looking at it looked like it was in range.

Quote:
though the scenario can be won without that battleship.

That I truly doubt - since the battleship took out a mech and a rocket launcher, two units for which you do not have a solution for otherwise :)

Quote:
but speaking generally - well, yes in MA there are some players mistakes which can change the whole course of battle.

Exactly, the AI split his rocket launchers somewhat. Had he kept them clumped together they could have dealt better with any threat. He hit you battleship with one of them, when he should have used two. He should have never "sacrificed" that rocket launcher unless it was going to allow him to kill the battleship. That's my point - you're highly dependent upon catching the AI in a "bad" deployment in this scenario, IMO.

Grifman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:56 am 
Tough Nut

I find that the scenario's where the AI totally outnumbers you are the only thing that is challenging in Single Player. Playing a world war against the AI, he gets crushed every time. Hopefully soon I'll be able to play online, but for now my internet access is from work (shh, don't tell my boss I'm fooling around on the internet :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:21 am 
Developer

Wasabe wrote:
I find that the scenario's where the AI totally outnumbers you are the only thing that is challenging in Single Player. Playing a world war against the AI, he gets crushed every time. Hopefully soon I'll be able to play online, but for now my internet access is from work (shh, don't tell my boss I'm fooling around on the internet :wink: )

Well, we've recently created a special SERVER-SIDE daemon (instant piece of software, which resides on the server), which is by its nature A.I. but it immitates humal players' behaviour (i.e. deliberately makes delays in sending turns, sometimes sends human-style messages in its turns, etc.)...

To access this NEW server-side A.I. option, you should go to "Send Challenge" screen and challenge "Tiger", "Morton HQ", "Vadim", "Slippz"...

Satisfaction Guaranteed...

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:25 am 
Veteran

2 Vic - LOL:D

But what about the question I asked at the beginning of this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:32 am 
Developer

Magistr Honna wrote:
2 Vic - LOL:D

But what about the question I asked at the beginning of this thread?

Hm... I've just looked that Step 7 of that campaign...

And you know what? There's really a glitch there... NO amphibians.
It must be a BUG!

I'll show it to the developers tomorrow....

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!