Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Idea for a new unit in future MA series game...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:04 am 
Sea Wolf

How about an artillery unit that causes splash damage? E.g., something like a RL that not only damages the target unit 2-4 HP, but also damages all six units in the immediately surrounding hexes 1 HP each. Obviously a weapon like this would be quite powerful, so it would have to be expensive enough to keep gameplay balanced.

Such a unit would be especially useful for situations where enemy units are forced to crowd together, but could make some attacking decisions difficult if one's own units are within the splash damage radius. In this case, the advantages of killing a specific enemy unit(s) must be weighed against slightly damaging one's own unit(s).

Of course, there could be naval units or even air units with that cause splash damage instead/as well.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:32 am 
Veteran

This would make it the most powerful unit in the game BY FAR, with a total hitpoints of at least 7-8. Also if it had reasonable armor (3), mobility (1), range (at least 3) and not be transportable it should still cost maybe 10. A very risky unit to have; gotta get close, slow as h*ll, and very very expensive.

How about the ability to purchase mines in your territory? Hidden for the enemy, 3 hitpoints if an any unit that moves over it, cost 2.
If the enemy attacks a territory, you could lay for example 2 mines (four guerillas). The enemy knows you have laid them (no visible defence) but not where. If he captures the capital the country is his, but the mines are still there. Will leave a defender with more options, and attacker must move carefully.
Don't know if this is possible though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:13 am 
P.L. Marshal

1)about mines.already was discussed.no hidden stuff works with undo feature of MA.for example i can move tank on your territory - mine destroy the tank - then i undo and i know that there is mine there and i wont move in that place again.
2)splash...i think that is good idea but can cause imbalance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:58 am 
Veteran

Ehh very good point there :oops:

Here's a different idea:
What if you could use you bombers as "bomber defence". I mean they could work as FIGHTER bombers. For example, if you leave a bomber unused in a capital/carrier it will perform a CAP (combat air patrol) on the enemys turn. If one enemy bomber attacks, the FB (fighter bomber) will stop it (not destroy it). The enemy would then need two bombers to hit the target.

I've been thinking about another thing. Would it be fun/possible to buy "upgrade packs"? Lets say a speed pack, which would give a unit +1 move. Practically it would work like any unit is a transport for these packs, and will get the benefit when they are mounted. They should be costly, but it will give the game an excellent and fair option of creating special (but costly) units.
If the option exists to buy armour, speed, select fire and maybe personal AA shield packs u could make super units but with a hefty price if, lets say every pack costs 1. An artillery with max upgrade would get 5 range, 3+1 damage (2 shots), 4 armour, 2 speed and local AA, but would cost 8.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:15 am 
P.L. Marshal

first thing - stopping the bombers - this is xactly what anti-ai defenc generators do in MA-PR

second - upgrades...this is the goal of career mode in MAPR and in singleplayer this works okay...but i again not sure this wont be imbalancin featur in Multiplayr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:36 am 
Veteran

Mrakobes, this would make the air defence area MUCH larger than a normal AA-shield, and helis won't be affected.

Naturally, upgrades should work only on land/air units, not ships. So it would probably not have any major imbalancing factor. But they should cost more than 1 anyway..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:10 am 
Sea Wolf

Another new unit idea...(actually, just a concept that could be applied to any new unit):

How about a unit that fires twice (like the bullfrog or leviathan), but has a different range for each weapon? For example, 2 HP of damage with 4 range + 3 HP of damage with 2 range. It seems like this would add some interesting factors...using the closer range weapon could cause your unit to be left in a more exposed position, so it might be best to use only the long range weapon at times. On the other hand, in other situations, it would be better to go ahead and deal the extra damage by using both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:00 pm 
Veteran

What about a long rang artillery for FNU?
Range minimum 4, maximum 6.
Damage 1, move 1 (but transportable), armour 2, cost 3?

PL can counter with "anti-artillery". Works like AA-shield, but stops one missile. Move 1 (but transportable), armour 3, cost 3?
Then a FNU artillery only damages 2 (three rockets) but the LR artillery will be stopped completely (one rocket).

Neither unit will be very powerful, but a nuisance.

Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:50 am 
Tough Nut

Mines are doable, make them active not passive.

So, you lay your mines, send turn, recieve turn, and when you recieve it the damage is applied to your opponents units. if they are destroyed, then any damage they would have done to your units is discounted.

I dont like the idea myself.

A second idea is that the player rides over the mines, but recieves no notice of this event. when he clicks to send turn, he then gets notice of "mines hit!" and is shown where, and may redo his turn with the damage caused on the unit (or with the unit destroyed)

I still dont think its a great idea though.

San.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:05 pm 
Conscript

How about a unit that can fire and move in any order (for ex. move one hex, fire, move back)? Is there a technical difficulty in implementing this?

Another idea that I had, which may only work in a full blown sequel, is to assemble units from separate parts, like chassis, armor, weapons, and all kinds of special devices. This would be kind of like the "Impossible Creatures" game, but only turn-based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 pm 
Veteran

A problem with "hit and run" ability would be that you could unload this unit from a land/sea transport, fire, then load and escape unharmed.
This way you could for example provoke guerillas, but they will have nothing to fire at...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 am 
Sea Wolf

Guerillas will be happy! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:42 am 
Conscript

VDmitry wrote:
Guerillas will be happy! :)

Exactly :D

I think having one unit like that would be ok. It should be medium or short range, a little more expensive than similar "one way" unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:05 pm 
Veteran

The guerillas will be very happy when the same unit unloads far away on the next turn... Or they get shot at each turn without ever getting a chance to shoot back.
Yes, veeerry happy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:10 pm 
Conscript

Tryptamon wrote:
The guerillas will be very happy when the same unit unloads far away on the next turn... Or they get shot at each turn without ever getting a chance to shoot back.
Yes, veeerry happy :)

That's why this is called a 'strategy' game :roll:

I can shoot/bomb enemies now without them having chance to shoot back (especially with my bombers and naval units). I can do other things to make guerillas unhappy, for example kill them :D. So what?

On the other hand - there are remedies for the "hit and run" unit. You can always try to surround/outflank it.

By the way, such unit shouldn't even trigger guerillas if on its turn it entered and then left the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:01 pm 
Conscript

How about a "repair crew" that has light armor and a high movement rate. You could target a unit next to the unit and repair it for X amount of armor points. You get to repair some key units that you don't want to lose, but you might only get to use the repair crew once before it is easily destroyed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:31 am 
Levy

I'd like to see a submarine that stays under water when it doesn't attack.
It receives only half damage while under cover.

For air units like helicopter could it be the same, only that they keep flying at height when they don't attack. They receive only half damage while keeping the enemy at distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:30 am 
Sea Wolf

Another idea: We already have land, naval, and air transports. Why not add a sub-transport? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:52 am 
Sea Wolf

How about shield generator which decreases damage by 1 instead of current implementation? It will do the same thing vs bombers but can be used much more widely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:24 pm 
Sea Wolf

Another idea: How about a unit with two weapons, but (unlike the Leviathan and Bullfrog) the ability to use only one of them per turn? So you would have to choose which weapon works best in a given situation. For example, perhaps a unit could have a low-damage, long-range weapon and a short-range, high-damage weapon.