Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Balancing the "play first" advantage
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:38 pm 
Tough Nut

Often the "red" side gains a huge advantage by virtue of playing first. "Red" can get a big jump. "Red" also has the potential to destroy on turn 1 a "green" unit which was unfortunately placed. "Green" is limited on turn 0 (disclosure) by the fact that s/he must be concerned about an immediate "surprise" attack by "Red" on turn 1. This further limits what "Green" can do on turn 0, without taking a risk.

Of course, the degree of advantage from playing first varies between games. Sometimes it is huge, othertimes much less.

Here is a suggestion to make things more balanced.

Currently, "red" gets to move first and produce first.

The game could allow "green" to have a special recruitment phase on turn 0 only (after disclosure). This would allow "green" to recruit in the disclosed country.

This way, "red" gets to move/combat first, but green gets to recruit first. It is more balanced. One side gets to "move" first, the other side gets to "produce" first. This is much more equitable than allowing one side to gain both advantages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:16 am 
Sea Wolf

And swap Disclosure and Income phases for FNU for rest of the game...

Post subject: Why swap FNU disclosure and "income"?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:38 am 
Tough Nut

VDMitry suggests that F.N.U. disclosure and "income" (I assume you mean recruitment) phases be swapped for the rest of the game.

I suggested a special "green" (FNU) income and recruitment phase at the end of turn 0.

I am not sure if you mean that my suggestion would make swapping FNU disclosure and income ecessary or that you mean it should be done in addition to my suggestion.

In either case, I don't see why. Simply allowing this extra recruitment phase for the FNU on turn 0 (which is a specially handled turn already) will allow "red" to get the jump in movement/combat, and "green" to get the jump in production. Allowing red to have both is unbalanced.

After turn 0, the game can proceed as normal. Green (FNU) will simply have more unit value in play than with the current system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:29 pm 
Conscript

I think that reduced damage on the first turn only for the red player would be simpler, and fairer. Ignoring odd or even damage number(dividing it by 2) would reduce that ''sneak attack'' a lot, since you are never able to do sneak attack in the game except on this first turn and for the red only. (well guerrillas do sneak attack, but you expect it)

Or maybe no damage allowed...or only 1...I dunno, I think that this sneaky move was intended...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:11 am 
Sea Wolf

May be simpler (in compare with MA/MAN turn 0 disclose current rule) just to allow PL to disclose only one Secret Ally?
And then don't change any more.

I think, this suggestion (to balance advantage PL) applicable and for MAPR too (though not so critical as for MA/MAN). Here it need quite the contrary to give FNU to disclose two SA at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:51 am 
Sea Wolf

Vixen : how about to allow for FNU to do not disclose anyone in 0 turn? I like to hide my allies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:38 am 
Sea Wolf

VDmitry wrote:
Vixen : how about to allow for FNU to do not disclose anyone in 0 turn? I like to hide my allies.

Mmm... Are you mean this as enough disadvantage or as one part of solution?
If the first one, then it's not enough disadvantage, becouse it's don't safe you against critical PL-force invade in you SA (or two SA's!).
If you mean the second one, then it may just give FNU some good variantes of disclose (sometimes it really need).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:58 am 
Sea Wolf

Just I like it ;)

Map consists generally from the same amount of neutral countries as opponents allies. So PL has 2/3 to invade neutral country in 1st turn and only 1/3 to invade FNU ally. It is difficult to compare already from that point. But I cannot see obivious advantage even in succesfull invading of enemy ally - it depends.

The only obivious PL advantage imo - he has much less risk in 0 turn and he has a little chance to strike FNU forces first. Who is able to calculate win/loss ratio based on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:38 am 
Sea Wolf

Of course, FNU has no any advantages at all. But PL "advantage" usually gives FNU guerillas and possibility to better disclosing.

And there is no way to compare different units. I like PL chopters, but for example I could *probably* win my last draw with Tiger if PL could have battle platforms with aero-shields during invasion on his island.