Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:13 am 
Veteran

Enforcer wrote:
The problem is that at the end of the day it'll be down to the same 4-6 top ppl who'll win. U'd need to run more than 1 league type thing with different entering costs and possibly placing restrictions upon who can enter (prob by rank). I wouldn't enter as i know i can't beat certain ppl so like guerillaz says u'd just be handing the money over. Handicaps could be one way to change this but when RL money is involved it'll b very hard to get the balance right etc.

Actually it's easy to say but also hard to do. No, no, no. I mean that's hard to control cause it's so easy for anyone to make new aka & take a part like a Conscript being ppl in fact. In this case what restrictions could you propose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:23 am 
Sea Wolf

no idea :) was just pointing out some of the obvious problems. I feel that the player base is too small to do a tourney on it for the problems stated bfor. individual games are the way to go i think.

Tourneys could be done based on the number of games u win. eg everyone pays $10. everyone plays 4 games, $5 per win. But the winner/2nd/3rd place thing won't work. Unless Tiger, Rocklizard, Pitor and a few others agree not to take part then might be worth doing hehe.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:29 am 
Veteran

Enforcer wrote:
Instead of a league u could do it on the basic games when u challenge an opponent one of the options would be play for money where u'd enter a cash ammount both players would pay with the winner taking all. This would have to be optional of course. You might need to link this to creating 2 games (one from each side) where one player only taking the money if they win both games.

Sincerely hope to see this feature in the soon future. But, for instance, who will be play with Rocklizard like an optional? I'm not sure that there are many people wish to do it for money with him. Poor, poor Rocklizard - he'll not be have earnings...
So, we need to help him. The best way to do it - creat the new Tournament.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:41 am 
Veteran

Enforcer wrote:
Unless Tiger, Rocklizard, Pitor and a few others agree not to take part then might be worth doing hehe.

When you last time have seen these Players as Winners? There are so many new other successful & hopeful ones we need to afraid.
I see just the new bright future for MAN from this moment - after running new feature we'll see just incredible quantity of new Players. Probably we haven't seen till this moment really Great & Strong Players yet.
Want to be sure...
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:59 am 
Sea Wolf

well Rock doesn';t play much anymore and Pitors not got man. But if u look at it from a descent player but not great players view they don't have a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:12 am 
Veteran

Enforcer wrote:
well Rock doesn';t play much anymore and Pitors not got man. But if u look at it from a descent player but not great players view they don't have a chance.

I've not understood properly. They don't have a chance for what - for taking a part in new Tournament or just for prize places?
Could you detaile it? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:14 am 
Sea Wolf

prize place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:19 am 
Veteran

The chance to win or lose for everyone is always!!!
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:39 am 
Veteran

So, I see that adding just the feature for individual games will suit eveyone.
I think that there should be following option: $0.5, $1.0, $2.0, $5.0, $10.0, $25.0 & $50.0.

The rules:

In knockout formats, each round will consist of two battles on the planet against the same player.
The winner of a round will be
a. The player who wins both battles
If one battle is won each:
b. The player who wins in the least number of turns
If won in an equal number of turns:
c. The player who destroyed more units (measured in $ cost)
If still equal:
d. The player with more surviving units (measured in $ cost)

P.S. Still hope to take a part in the new Tournament.
I'd like to hear devs.
:)

Last edited by Drakon on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:01 am 
Veteran

I wholly agree with Enforcer's idea of a classed structure by rating, and such. I would be loathed to see a group of Masters culling dollars away from rookies, and thereby taking the "fun" out of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:14 am 
Veteran

Arkon7 wrote:
I wholly agree with Enforcer's idea of a classed structure by rating, and such.

You're agree but pls tell me how to avoid the situation when the Master takes new profile & take a part with this new one?

Arkon7 wrote:
I would be loathed to see a group of Masters culling dollars away from rookies, and thereby taking the "fun" out of the game.

I propose to run this new Tournament just only for Masters. Just only these restrictions can be applied. Cause in this case there will be just well known Players.
However, anyone has a right to take a part but after careful checking from the mod's side...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:37 am 
Veteran

One more idea!
Playing any games (such as just basic, CW or Tournament) both Opponents could have additionally the feature for choice to play it for money or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:40 pm 
P.L. Marshal

i do not know what to say about this
i usually play for fun not for such a strong competition
(i am kinda fed up with competitions in real life and in game i want to have a time to relax awhile)
i am not a best player i have alot of defeats and i know some players are simply beyond my skills.
so i suppose i will not have a chance to win money i will probably lose alot so i will abstain from participating in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:36 pm 
Veteran

Mrakobes wrote:
i am not a best player i have alot of defeats and i know some players are simply beyond my skills.

So what? Meanwhile you play basic games & win some of them. I think that one day you'll be have desire for playing with someone for money. It's just additional option which some Players would like to have already, you have yr own choice & you can play just basic games for money anytime - nobody pressure you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:34 am 
Veteran

OK... here's some geeky stuff that can be deployed for a "money league".

First you must purchase a registered copy of the program that contains a serial number and a USB HASP key. This information along with the registered IMAC address of the modem would identify a unique site and player, regardless of how many accounts a person sets up. The enrollment fee would be the cost of the software, which should be acceptable to anyone wanting to play. Signing up with give MAN explicit permission to interrogate their CD, HASP, key and IMAC address with the software (Something I am sure AI could handle in an afternoon of coding)

Secondly, every game a person played would be open for review, such that a players record could be reviewed. So if I see a conscript taking down Marshalls on a regular basis, I'd think that he / she would be using an alias of some sort. But even with an alias, it shouldn't matter, because their Glicko rating, (not their rank) would be the indicator.

Secondly, CD, USB software key, and IMAC address would be assigned to only one person, so a person would have to purchase multiple copies of the software and multiple hardware which would be a barrier to wanting to spoof another identity.

So if we assume that everyone is 18, of sound mind, and can read and understand a roster of players with history and Glicko ratings, then caveat emptor.

But this should NOT be a clan-based activity. The individual wins / loses of their own accord on their own merits. So if there is a dominant player, so be it. Consider if there was this kind of reservation at a Wimbledon tournament where noone would play because one of the Williams sisters, or Bjorn Borg was playing in the tournament. That's just the nature of the proposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:55 am 
Veteran

It's a right beginning.
What can devs say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:03 am 
Sea Wolf

i never liked the least turn rule because if one person gets a much better start and wins one game and in the other game the starts are more even and his opponent wins because he's more skillful, it would take longer. So for being the better player the opponent loses overall. Better to just say 2 games if it's 1:1 then neither wins any more (just get's their own money back)

As for the creating a new account, we could 1st impose a rank u have to reach to enter cash tourneys. But even then it coudl still be abused. But for cash to be transfered it has to go thru the players account details over man anyway. So should be easy to list all user names on that account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:13 am 
Veteran

Enforcer wrote:
i never liked the least turn rule because if one person gets a much better start and wins one game and in the other game the starts are more even and his opponent wins because he's more skillful, it would take longer. So for being the better player the opponent loses overall. Better to just say 2 games if it's 1:1 then neither wins any more (just get's their own money back)

I'll be talking now about just basic games.
Let's stay it for yr own choice. If you wish to play 2 games - pls play it. But may be someone is interested only in 1 game playing for randon, even playing for FNU. I think that last variant is a good proposition from the Master's side for less experienced one. I'd like that we'll be in position to choose suitable variant of game in menu's settings.
Now what about Tournaments for money. I'd like to stay first a/m rules as they are cause Tournament for money has no any difference before any Tournament running at present or in the past.
The participation is free for everyone. If someone doubts in his own result - pls don't enter this new one & play just simple one running at present.

Last edited by Drakon on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:37 am 
Sea Wolf

If there is enough demand I'm happy to run a money tournament.

But I think you will struggle to find enough people who are willing to make a donation to Rocklizard . . . I know him personally and I assure you playing for money will just make it more likely that he will win.

MW.

Post subject: $$$ tournament is a lost cause...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:54 am 
Conscript

There is no way I'd enter a $ tournament. Especially since I've never won a tournament! :wink:

That being said, I think it would be very interesting to provide functionality for two players to agree on a $ amount and structure for an individual competition for cash. The two game (FNU and PL) system is too sensitive to starting position so the players would have to be able to specify the number of games for the competition and winning conditions.

Of course MAN would have to take a cut of each purse or they really have no incentive to develop the functionality. The real questions the developers have to answer are: 1. Is there enough demand for this feature to offset the cost of development, and 2. Do players have enough information to make good decisions matching themselves up with players they are comfortable betting against?

Realistically, I'm not going to play for cash with anyone that I'm not confident I can beat at least 50% of the time. Do glicko ratings, w/l ratios, and ranking help me figure that out? Yes, but unless I've played someone before and seen them make mistakes I wouldn't have made, then it would be hard to put the cash on the line.

Who has time for this with all the tournaments going on anyway... seriously, if I get one more game generated for me I'm going to toss my monitor out the window... :wink: