Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to get Maps to work for OS X ?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:35 pm 
Levy

I have attempted to DL other made WW maps for MAssault, but they come in a typical PC .exe file.

Is there any way that I can get these files to run on the Mac version on MA, or am I going up some kind've a creek here?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:53 pm 
Levy

You are beyond screwed. I can't speak to the game's quality under windows, but I can say volumes about the mac version.

It was ported by VP (virtual programming). These guys' name is applicable. They're not programmers, they're virtually programmers, in the same way that Radio Shack products aren't real, they're just Realistic.

In short, they suck. I've unfortunately owned several of their ports before I discovered that they're really a sweat shop hack factory. They probably get port jobs because they work cheap and it shows. Every game I've had that was ported by these guys has been bug ridden, shoddy, and nothing short of crashtastic, and considering how stable OSX in general is, is a minor feat in and of itself.

Furthermore their support is beyond abysmal. You can file issue after issue, only to have any complaints more or less completely ignored. In 3 years and dozens of bug reports I only had one reply to anything submitted, and that was to ask me what version of the game I had, which I find hysterical, as the game in question only had one version released before they utterly abandoned it.

You can go to their forums and what you'll find is a virtual graveyard. Weeks go by between posts of the occasional fool you just bought yet another port asking a question about why stuff is crashing only to go unanswered by their staff, until they finally log on and see fit to remove any posts that call them out. In fact, that's about the only thing they ARE proactive about, as they certainly don't address any problems with the games themselves.

The single best experience of VP at it's finest is in the Mac demos of on the games wherein when you quit it asks you if you want to exit to windows. Seriously. It's that bad.

If you really like this game I'd suggest installing WinXP under bootcamp and going that route. It's a crying shame that so many otherwise decent game companies trust this absolute crap outfit to port their games, as it's obvious the VP guys could care less if the stuff even runs.