Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does anyone actually use turrets?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:59 am 
For me I find missle launchers and/or bombers to be much more effective at defence, not to mention that once you control the sector any money spent on the turret is wasted since you cant move it. Perhaps if turrets had one more range to their attack so they could outrange missile launchers or even one more damage so they could retaliate and kill them in one shot would make them more useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:39 pm 
Tough Nut

they discuss turrets a little here

http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275

turrets come in handy in very special situations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:28 pm 
Sea Wolf

Turrets are very useful as guerrilla units behind a couple LAVs or deep in a forest/desert. They are great for holding off the enemy for a while because of their range and massive amounts of hitpoints. They are the bane of Mortars and Rocket Launchers, and Transports need to take great care around them too.

I also use them when I know I'm in for a long border fight at a narrow pass. Rocket Launchers die too easily in these situations, just takes an enemy with a Rocket Launcher and transport, or a couple planes. Often the enemy won't even bother going after the turrets because they don't do as much damage, and they have too many hitpoints. For that reason, you get a lot more damage done in the long run by a turret then most other units.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:39 pm 
Tough Nut

Alot of new players have a hard time with knowing when or where to place a turret (myself included).

I wonder if anyone would make a scenario or maybe a specific replay showing the usefulness of a well placed turret? A tutorial in a way I guess... maybe if someone has time it might happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:32 pm 
Sea Wolf

Mantose wrote:
Alot of new players have a hard time with knowing when or where to place a turret (myself included).

Welcome to Massive Assault. Only something like 10 units, but 10 million different possibilities of how to use them in combinations :).

Coffeedragon posted a good replay in the Turrets forum, and there are a couple scenarios that show how Annoying turrets are when the enemy has them (Bloody Channel? Is that the name of the one where you have to pound through tons of turrets to get your navy from one side of the map to the other?). If thats not enough, let me know, and I'll write a scenario tonight to show other situations where they can be useful.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:14 am 
Yeah but thats a scenario specificly designed for turrets, I find in any other situation missle launchers are far better. They are vunerable to bombers but at least they can move out of range, turrets can survive a turn agains bombers but they cant move out of range meaning they'll die eventually. If the opponent is smart they wont even start the assault until the bombers have cleared out all the turrets. I might not be an expert on the game but i'm far from being a rockie and i can win without turrets just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:19 pm 
Sea Wolf

I mai8nly only use turrets as guerillas as stated above in situations where I can offer the country that is under attack no support. Altho I ahve seen them used very well. In 1 game my opponent had it covering a capital space in an ajacent country. It was 1 space back from the border meaning i couldn't attack it up close without giving him more guerillas and I couldn't use the capital to launch planes due to the huge fight going on in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:57 am 
Turret :
(+) 9 Hitpoints

Launcher:
(+) Mobile
(+) 3 Attack

So what ? Answer is clear !

Maybe if the scenario is that there are LAVs attacking on a plain ground and you only have another tank, so that the 1 damage point doesn't matter, and you cant draw back. But in most scenarios, the launcher is the better choice.

Plus, as a former member of a MLRS battery, my sympathies are on the launchers side, of course ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:24 pm 
Developer

Anonymous wrote:
Plus, as a former member of a MLRS battery

Hm... how sweet!

I am MLRS reserve officer as well!

Wanna form a Clan?
:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:20 pm 
Vic wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Plus, as a former member of a MLRS battery

Hm... how sweet!

I am MLRS reserve officer as well!

Wanna form a Clan?

hmm, didn't know the polish army has a MLRS. Couldn't find it on the internet either. Or what army are you talking about ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:03 pm 
P.L. Marshal

2 Guest first why dont you register :P
second - why do you think MA's development team members are from Poland.Actually
they are from Belarus.And Belarusian army has a lot of equipment left from former USSR
like BM-21 GRAD (rocket system of salvo fire - equal to what you call MLRS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:29 pm 
In fact, the 3 guests are ONE person, me :P

Well, I didn't recognize the're from Belarus, i thought i read an article that they were from Poland, and couldn't find any information about polish missile-artillery (perhaps they have some old "Stalinorgeln", as we say in germany, but does that count ?).

Perhaps i register tommorrow, cause it's quite late now here, and i think im too tired now for registering
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:32 am 
Developer

Anonymous wrote:
In fact, the 3 guests are ONE person, me :P

Well, I didn't recognize the're from Belarus, i thought i read an article that they were from Poland, and couldn't find any information about polish missile-artillery (perhaps they have some old "Stalinorgeln", as we say in germany, but does that count ?).

Perhaps i register tommorrow, cause it's quite late now here, and i think im too tired now for registering
:D

Well, Belarus is one of the most "militarized" and well-equipped European countries. We have an army, which is 1% of the total population and we have one Battletank per each 10.000 citizens (not speaking of other deadly weapons). All that the heritage of the Soviet military power.

And our Air Defense is packed with C-300 Systems (NATO's air force was lucky that Jugoslavia didn't have them during the bombings)

We have also deliberately got rid of nuclear weapons.

Well, the only thing we seem to lack is Navy... quite like Switzerland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:59 am 
Developer

You can have a look at what "StalinOrgan" we have in Belarus:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects ... index.html

http://www.warfare.ru/?linkid=1578&catid=240&image=869

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:04 pm 
Well, this is going Off-Topic, doesn't it ?
But who cares ?
I mean, its the Boss speaking 8)

I mentioned that POLAND has obviously no (modern) Rocket-Artillery. I NEVER wanted to doubt that Belarus has one of a kind, and is one of the mighties military-powers in the world !! :o

Please, don't "give me what I deserve" :lol:

Nice links, thx. Perhaps i'll re-commission my scanner the next days and upload some pics i made on an AMF-Exercise in Turkey two years ago, if you're interested.

And i've finally registered !
:P