It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:42 pm 
P.L. Marshal

lol dryfire - you wrote "surface aircraft carrier" - not airport
so i said there is not such thing
there are airports in MA already - in cities
i dont see how you suppose to make airport building (nott in city) on current MA engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:51 pm 
Veteran

Mrakobes wrote:
i dont see how you suppose to make airport building (nott in city) on current MA engine

I thought of drawing it on the map as a terrain feature -like wood or rough. No idea if the engine allows it, though.

As an alternative, how about increasing Bomber range to 8 -range is their unique strength, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:52 pm 
Sea Wolf

8 range would def spook artillery.

but if the amphibean can not embark upon certin terrain i'm sure it cold made the same for an airport. it would be just like a guard tower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:24 pm 
1 unit i was surprised to find isn;t in the game is some form of AA gun? We've had them in RL for years and with this game set in the future they don't exist? Maybe something with a range of 1 that shoots down 1 plane a turn if it attacks a target wihtin the AA guns range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:31 pm 
Sea Wolf

AA guns were discussed in http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:16 pm 
Maelstrom wrote:
As far as planes vs. missile launchers, again, attrition plays into it. It is nearly impossible to destroy planes, as they can always retreat, and never take damage.

Very good point. If the enemy has an attack force, including missle launchers, remember their low hp. A fully "planed" city can take out the ml in one shot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:19 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Very good point. If the enemy has an attack force, including missle launchers, remember their low hp. A fully "planed" city can take out the ml in one shot

The AA gun thing sounds like a good idea. But that would be pretty dumb, since the "refurbished" game had a unit specificly used only for one unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:18 pm 
Carriers are not water units ! The carrier is a floating city. The reason for building planes is to make kills. Most other units do some amount of damage, but killing units is about taking off the last hitpoint. This is where planes come in, to deliver the final blow. When distributing damage you can spread around the high damage units better with planes, i.e. not haveing to "waste" damagepoints just to kill off a unit.

This can be done only in 6 hex distance from cities. Think of carriers as mobile citys, floating just off shore in range of the battlefield. In sea battles i use them like this also. Battleships do most damage, dan destroyers and planes can make sure you can use the damage from the battleship efficiently.

Jelger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:22 pm 
Tough Nut

Carriers should be able to move 5-6 hexes and carry 5-6 planes (they should at least be able to take out a destroyer). Having flown off carriers for a large portion of my life I can tell you that they are not slow, short range units and they pack a huge punch. The investment in a carrier and planes should give them a bigger kill capability than they have. Cities should be able to hold 6 planes also. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:45 pm 
P.L. Marshal

2 Merc - well the carriers in MA are not so strong but you see they were made this way to keep balance - if they were like you wish they would be overpowering units making everything else useless.and if you seek realism :lol: you can say that carriers in MA are not a poverful CVA but they look rather like CVS small support carriers which can carry only VSTOL aircraft.So comparing them to modern ships they are more like british Invinsible CVS or italian Garibaldi but not like US Nimitz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:35 pm 
I understand the parity issue and think it makes the game what it is. Just wanted one "uber" unit that would cost a lot but pack a punch. More powerful carrier as listed but at $9 cost would give the punch but the high cost would be the deterrent to overstocking. On another issue, almost ready to go online and try that aspect of the game, looking forward to trying a whole new dimension of MA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:10 am 
If you have AA cannons, say, '88/56 ala FLAK 18 (WW2), you should be able to level them to fire at tanks. Like immobile artillery, only with less range and maybe more power--say 3 damage? Either fire into the air and have a percentage to hit a plane, the more FLAK the higher the percentage, or fire upon tanks without the tanks knowing what hits them, say, camoflauged until fired?

Then smaller caliber AA that can fire on LAVs, but not damage tanks and higher, that function the same way the higher caliber cannons would.

Now, this is really entering into tactical areas where MA isn't heading (I hope). I'm just chiming in. :lol:

Dev's, don't tear into me too hard--I'm just saying how AA might work if eventually added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:01 pm 
Veteran

Anonymous wrote:
I understand the parity issue and think it makes the game what it is. Just wanted one "uber" unit that would cost a lot but pack a punch. More powerful carrier as listed but at $9 cost would give the punch but the high cost would be the deterrent to overstocking.

"Uber" units are not in the spirit of the game. Buy two normal carriers instead. Twice the cost, twice the punch! If you move them together at all times you can pretend it's a really large carrier (joking). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:58 pm 
Sea Wolf

in combat you always need units in the front line to take the hits leaving your more powerful units to hit asck on ur turn, this is where destroyers come in, with 5hps they can take 2 battleships hit before dying compared to a battleship which can take 3 battleship hits. so a you'll lose 3 destroyers : 2 battleships, i know which i'd rather lose.

As for amphibs 4 of them with a transport gives them a strike range of 9, if you are good enough to link transports together (ie have 1 waiting at the end of the 1st ones movement range) can give you a range of 14 etc.. amphibs are great at either chasing down enemy transports or when fully loaded they can take out anything.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/