Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:06 pm 
Veteran

Er, I should've worded that differently. . .

I understand that when they first invade, you get gorillas, you can then disclose that turn as well and end up with around $30 in units, but...

Say they swoop in and capture the capital of said SA, then they pull their troops out of said SA, you then disclose that turn, it just becomes contested and you get to drop troops in and issue the smackdown, eh?

That's devious...

I like it. :|

Me.

Post subject: those red circles of shame...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:25 pm 
Conscript

Hi, I guess I just figured out through hard experience that the red "warning circles" that show units that can hit a certain square (when you hold down shift) don't show ALL possibilities. I have been getting burned with this: if a transport carring a rocket launcher is temporarily blocked by the enemies own units, it doesn't show up as a red circle "threat". Of course your square WILL be in danger as soon as the enemy moves his units in a normal way to clear a path. Its tricky, but I"ve lost bunches of artillery this way.

The moral of the story is to not totally rely on the red circles. Look into ALL transports!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:52 pm 
Veteran

I've found the best method is just to memorise how far units can fire/move, (or hover over them with the mouse to display it ;) ) and just, er, watch what's going on on the map.

I never even realized the thing about the shift key for threat circles, I'm kinda glad I didn't, now that you mention that. . .

Me.

Post subject: Re: those red circles of shame...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:06 pm 
Sea Wolf

KarenKicksU! wrote:
The moral of the story is to not totally rely on the red circles. Look into ALL transports!

And look at all possible units that can be loaded into those transports :) Amphibians are especially nasty for that... 1 move into a naval transport, 6 moves in transport, 1 move onto another tranport, 6 more moves in that tranport, then one more to exit... even further if they were in a tranport to begin with.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:12 pm 
P.L. Marshal

dammit maelstrom BE QUIET!!! how dare you to disclose that super-secret tactical trick!!!!
J\K :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:42 pm 
Developer

Red warning circles don't count enemy units as blockers. They should be ok if a unit was loaded into transport.
However they don't show the units that can be loaded into transport, travel a distance and then unloaded to fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:21 am 
Levy

I've only been playing the demo, but am hoping the full version turns up very, very soon...

I usually hold onto my remaining Secret Allies until the AI has declared all of his. When I started I would quite often be surrounded when I disclosed a territory with no "closed" borders (this was before I realised you could "skip" the disclose phase). So I quite often have a few undisclosed Allies by turn 5 or 6.

Of course, with new maps this may well change... Will wait and see...

/me Holds breath until full version turns up...

Post subject: Re: Thoughts about disclosure of secret allies (fast or del
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:08 am 
Sea Wolf

Mrakobes wrote:
The question is...should player disclose his secret allies as soon as possible or should he wait and disclose them later.
I started this thread because lately i fought several people who used such an "mysteryous" way of disclosure- keeping one or two or even three of their SA's undisclosed even after 6-7 (or even 10) turns passed.
I usually disclose all my secret allies as soon as possible (usually after turn 5 mine are all open ) because it allows me to send more troops into battle on earlier stages (and conduct blitzcrieg).Only reason which can keep me from disclosing an ally - if it was invaded by vastly outnumbering horde of enemy.But even then i will disclose it as soon as help arrives.
But i see now that there are people who delay disclosure of their allies even without having any obvious reason to hide them.Why do they do it?
i suppose there are 2 main reasons - first (psyhological) they probably hope to keep their opponents nervous by the fact that he not knows where are enemys allies and opponent then will delay invasion to neutrals (fearing that they are enemy SA's)
second is strategical - wait till both sides are exhausted and then disclose the last one and turn the tide...hmm though even for that i doubt there are reasons to keep more than one SA undisclosed.
So what? which strategy do you think is most effective - fast disclosure or keeping secret?

I use the same method as Mrakobes, I get the territories out there waging war. If an undiscloused ally has been invaded, I tend to keep it secret since the money you start with usually isn't enough to turn the invasion, far better to pick the fight later.

Another time I keep territory hidden is when the territory is totally isolated, then I might wait for the enemies to move away from their nearby areas so as to launch a surprise attack.

For the most part though, I find getting them out and building early the most useful way. If you can overwhelm a country or two of the enemies early, then his non-disclosure allows you to take him piecemeal.

Non-disclosure doesn't seem of such use against some people. Already I can see Tiger does love to cover every border with LAVs. Trying to surprise that is tricky :)

@IAm

Just wait till you have to deal with multiple continents :)