Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how in the hell are points determined?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:37 pm 
Sea Wolf

I really would like to know what type of reasoning, or lack of, was put into this new glicko scoring system? Case in point, i am playing a game on sea swiss with someone that, if i win, i will recieve 31 "skill" points. The game is in it's 35 th move and has been draging on without much movement for a few moves. My opponent offers a draw and while i suppose we could play another 35 moves to force a conclusion, his offer shows me that this game has quit being fun for him and since i feel the same way i accept and SUPPRISE--i lose 59 skill points. I think it was made pretty clear in most of the posts that just about all of the players thought that draws should be a zero gain/loss thing. If, for some inane reason, this is not going to be the case there should be some sort of method of removing a game from the system when 2 players no longer want to play, with no penality for either player. And, no matter what system is in place, it is totally assinine that acepting a draw will mean a point deduction twice the size of what you would have received for winning the game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

Another thing before i receive some answer like "there is no reason for a game to end in a draw" the reason is that the 2 people playing it no longer want to play it anymore. If points are going to be deducted, how many are going to be lost should be listed with the draw offer. There does not seem to be a problem with listing how many points will be won if you win the match but for some unknown reason it is kept a secret how many are going to be lost if you lose or accept a draw.

Post subject: Re: how in the hell are points determined?
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:09 pm 
Veteran

storm440 wrote:
I really would like to know what type of reasoning, or lack of, was put into this new glicko scoring system? Case in point, i am playing a game on sea swiss with someone that, if i win, i will recieve 31 "skill" points. The game is in it's 35 th move and has been draging on without much movement for a few moves. My opponent offers a draw and while i suppose we could play another 35 moves to force a conclusion, his offer shows me that this game has quit being fun for him and since i feel the same way i accept and SUPPRISE--i lose 59 skill points. I think it was made pretty clear in most of the posts that just about all of the players thought that draws should be a zero gain/loss thing. If, for some inane reason, this is not going to be the case there should be some sort of method of removing a game from the system when 2 players no longer want to play, with no penality for either player. And, no matter what system is in place, it is totally assinine that acepting a draw will mean a point deduction twice the size of what you would have received for winning the game!

Ouch, minus 59?!?! Yeah, we fought that one to a true standstill. I gained 69 points though. The only explanation, apparent to me anyway, is that I was +2 or three %. It would seem that a "Draw" is not a 50-50 proposition as one might have supposed based on oh, logic or some other silly whatnot. Sorry I lured you into that, rest assured I will not offer you a draw in the future unless your winning. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:16 am 
Sea Wolf

I see no problem with a higher ranked player losing points if he draws a game with a lower ranked player. The MAGNITUDE of the Loss however, should be more reasonable. It hardly ever happens anyway (look at peoples statistics) but 59 points is a hard spanking for fighting to a standstill.

I think that a good compromise between the hard nosed Glicko Fans and those that want to have a painless way out of a game is to reduce the pain factor for drawing a game (ie a simple divide by 4 would mean poor Storm440 only lost about 15 points - and because he was the higher ranked player - IMHO - he should not get off scott free. (No offence STORM440 - I just think you are too good for a draw).

And on the flip side - Rhodehard would only have gotten 16 points - seems a bit fairer to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:11 am 
Tough Nut

Maybe Jessica Alba With Busty Boobs Teasing & Posing could provide you with a suitable compensation for your loss!... :P :P :P

Gee, forum spam is something that is almost as bas as mail spam.

Now on topic: It is a shame that a high ranked player creates a game for someone else, but the game, for some reason, is not the exact match as greed. Both should be able to "draw" it before the 2nd. turn is finished withtout any penalty.

However, as in your case, when lots of moves had taken place... I think that the current scheme (or one less punitive, but still taxing anyway) is more appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:46 pm 
Sea Wolf

The old system(MAN1) seems to have been the best.
As I have said innumerable times: Draws ar BOGUS!
Anyone who offers me a draw is slapping me in the face, or blowing smoke..... into the nether regions where it does not belong!
I say, F draws, for 99.9% of situations....
You didnt listen to the man who thinks he knows :]
I want the option to remove draws from my....options....gnome sane?