Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:03 pm 
P.L. Marshal

2 conqueror - how the heck does the presence or absence of chat affects the amount of turns needed to finish the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:43 am 
Developer

Mrakobes wrote:
2 conqueror - how the heck does the presence or absence of chat affects the amount of turns needed to finish the game?

Well, the Chat will help maybe not to limit the number of turns but to speed up the game, so that it takes less of "calendar" time.

Right now when you are sending your turn you don't know if the enemy is online and if he will respond in let's say 5-10 minutes.
Maybe he IS online, but is making some other turn in a battle with a New Zealander, who will wake up in 6 hours anyway.

Using the Chat you will be able to inform your opponent that you have just sent the turn and ask him if he's gonna respond withing a short amount of time.

Or, if you are too asleep you may inform your opponent that it was your last turn for tuday and you are going to bed, or you have some work to do, etc.

Anyway, there will e dozens of situations when a short conversation in the Chat between two players will allow them not to lose time and make their turns faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:14 am 
Veteran

Mrakobes wrote:

Plz read what i said again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:31 am 
Veteran

Vic wrote:
Mrakobes wrote:

Well, the Chat will help maybe not to limit the number of turns but to speed up the game, so that it takes less of "calendar" time.

Right now when you are sending your turn you don't know if the enemy is online and if he will respond in let's say 5-10 minutes.
Maybe he IS online, but is making some other turn in a battle with a New Zealander, who will wake up in 6 hours anyway.

Using the Chat you will be able to inform your opponent that you have just sent the turn and ask him if he's gonna respond withing a short amount of time.

Or, if you are too asleep you may inform your opponent that it was your last turn for tuday and you are going to bed, or you have some work to do, etc.

Anyway, there will e dozens of situations when a short conversation in the Chat between two players will allow them not to lose time and make their turns faster.

Hehe thx for answering, it seems you read and understood what i was trying to say :wink:

One thing I have mentioned b4 in other posts is really to have it in game where the chat is kept during the transfer of all player turns so that you can scroll back to see what was said previously in the chat.

i.e. You have say 6 games going on I send a chat to say 4 players, they take 2 days to reply to my chat but you since then sent chats to the other guys. I just can't remember what we where talking about :roll: Hence if the chat log was saved as the games where being played I could scroll back the chat & continue the conversation.

So to recap :

In game chat would help if both players have the time to play a whole game in just 1 sitting. If not keeping the in game chat per turn or move would help people remember what was said in the last move.

Thx :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:30 am 
Supreme Marshal

Hi,

I'm glad to declare that two players join to our clan:
Zabber and Borealis.

Post subject: New Clan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:09 am 
Tough Nut

A new clan has been formed and is ready to join the Clan War:

Roughnecks

Rocklizard
Nikthekid
Mwigor
Odin

I will send e-mail details over seperately but look forwarded to joining in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:30 am 
Sea Wolf

great :) abit of worthy compitition at last.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:48 pm 
Sea Wolf

Rocklizard:
Your clan will be added to the clan war on Monday. All that remains is to choose where your block of planets will be added. Enforcer has proposed that we randomly assign where your planets will appear. There are 3 positions that make sense... To the south, to the north, and to the west. Each of those places will border two clans. Rocklizard, if you can give me a number between 1 and 3, I will place your planets in a random location based on that.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:17 pm 
Tough Nut

Great, Thanks.

We'll go for 2 - wherever that is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:20 pm 
Sea Wolf

To the north it is! Your clan planets will be bordering FoR and GT. I will add the Roughnecks in by Monday, when you will be able to use your starting cash of 100$. Read up on the rules, and let me know if any of them need clarification. You can contact me by MSN, email, or ICQ.

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:14 am 
Tough Nut

Just a couple of clarifications:

In During the week Rule 5 (the first one!) it says "At this stage the identity of the attacker is known" but only after the Defending clan allocates an eligible member to defend the planet, is this the wrong way round or does the defending clan in fact allocate a defender blind?

What happens if the same planet gets attacked by two clans at the same time?

Other than the fact that we are all sensible, honest and playing for enjoyment what's to stop defenders playing very slowly in battles that they are losing to hold up a clan's progress? There does not seem to be much incentive to surrender a hopeless battle and much to be gained by delaying the transfer of control as long as possible (particularly where it is the attacking Clan's first planet in a system).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:37 am 
Sea Wolf

Rocklizard wrote:
Just a couple of clarifications:

In During the week Rule 5 (the first one!) it says "At this stage the identity of the attacker is known" but only after the Defending clan allocates an eligible member to defend the planet, is this the wrong way round or does the defending clan in fact allocate a defender blind?

No, the Defending clan gets to choose the defender after the attacker reveals their identity. I'll have to look at that rule to see if I can describe it better.

Rocklizard wrote:
What happens if the same planet gets attacked by two clans at the same time?

The first clan that sends the challenge will be accepted, and the other clan(s) will then be given the choice of choosing a new location to attack, or to hold off and wait.

Rocklizard wrote:
Other than the fact that we are all sensible, honest and playing for enjoyment what's to stop defenders playing very slowly in battles that they are losing to hold up a clan's progress? There does not seem to be much incentive to surrender a hopeless battle and much to be gained by delaying the transfer of control as long as possible (particularly where it is the attacking Clan's first planet in a system).

We tried to come up with as few restrictions as possible so as to increase our enjoyment of the war and to allow for individual emergencies/inability to make turns. We assume people will make their clan war games take priority over "for fun" games.

The other problem is that we don't have direct access to the games themselves, and so cannot force the game to be finished. This problem will be alleviated with the MAN the devs have announced.

As far as incentive to surrender as opposed to dragging something out, and ideas you have would be welcome. We've talked about allowing someone to only attack/defend after they have finished other battles, but it seemed to give people that can play many turns per day advantage over those that can only play a few, and we didn't want to do that.

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:06 am 
Sea Wolf

the only way to enforce it is to put a limit limit per turn on it, say 1-2days

but i would hope that everyone would play for fun not to win and if they could see thery were losing, and if there was no way to recover then they'd just surrender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:53 am 
Tough Nut

Enforcer wrote:
the only way to enforce it is to put a limit limit per turn on it, say 1-2days

but i would hope that everyone would play for fun not to win and if they could see thery were losing, and if there was no way to recover then they'd just surrender.

I agree. I think if your opponent has a 50% or more $ value numerical superiority at the start of your go you are usually in a lot of trouble so if you want to play on you should observe a 1 turn a day courtesy rule.

Quote:
As far as incentive to surrender as opposed to dragging something out, and ideas you have would be welcome. We've talked about allowing someone to only attack/defend after they have finished other battles, but it seemed to give people that can play many turns per day advantage over those that can only play a few, and we didn't want to do that.

Agree again. I think as a simple rule players should submit turns on battles they are defending before turns on battles where they are the attacker - for most people who submit turns in one sitting this won't be an inconvenience. Amongst the current four clans, I am sure no enforcement is necessary but it would be something that the MAN could easily deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:03 pm 
Sea Wolf

some new rules..

We're looking to bring in the following new rules this sunday assuming we can get the automated calculations finished by then. Let us know what u think.

The largest planet in a system will give out credits at the end of the week as long as it is not under attack.

The other planets in the system will give out credits as long as they are not under attack and as long as they are owned by the same clan as the one who owns the large planet in the system. (The large planet may be under attack)

If a planet is unable to give out credits then the credits are stored until whatever condition is blocking ti is solved. Then the credits are given immediately.

The number in the top right corner of a planet on the map shows the credits currently stored on the planet.

We're also working on a partially automated clan interface for picking players/planets etc.. the beta version is almost finished we'll keep u updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:16 pm 
Veteran

sounds good huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:09 pm 
Sea Wolf

After a long meeting today we're adding the Brimstone to the war map, should be done by next week. We're also changing Noble Rust to a medium planet which will change incomes repectively. Alot of other ideas were brought up which your leaders may discuss with u on your forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:22 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Enforcer wrote:
After a long meeting today we're adding the Brimstone to the war map, should be done by next week. We're also changing Noble Rust to a medium planet which will change incomes repectively. Alot of other ideas were brought up which your leaders may discuss with u on your forums.

I'd like to suggest mark new rules on the main page by colour. I hope we continue our discussion about battle for small planet, bonus for system with small planets and hidden attacker in the nearest future. I think we should add option for attack of full system (suggestion of MortonHQ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:39 pm 
Sea Wolf

i think it would be good if we could ahve weekly meetings between the clan leaders and maybe others that have ideas they want discussed, lasting no more than an hour. At least for now whicle we're still feeling our way thru this war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:52 pm 
Veteran

sounds like a good idea.

Let's see if we can get a time that everyone can make.

Maybe Saturday or Sunday would be best?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next