Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Clan War in the MAN2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:02 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Hello,

I'd like to ask veterans of Clans wars and new players about start of new Clan's tournament.

There were several variants of rules for Clan wars and I'd like to discuss with you what do you think about rules for the new tournament?

This is link to one of latest variant:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo ... rrules.txt
one more topic with rules of Alliances:
http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2014
I don't remember how many percentages of revenue should control alliance for victory, probably, 60% for the victory of separate Clan, 75% for victory of alliance.

I'll be glad to hear any comments and suggestions.

Just some ideas for new tournament:
1. Now we can use both type of time limit: classical and "chess-time" for the tournament battle and this time could different for the same planets in different sectors.
2. We could don't use rounds and allow Clans to do any action (recruit new army or garrison, build fort or start invasion at the any time), but all action should have duration, for example, flight from sector to neighbor sector could be 3 days, building of fort - 7 days. Money could be automatically collected every day at the same time.

Last edited by Tiger on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:00 pm 
Sea Wolf

the duration idea is a good one, is similar to how the league i based the original rules worked, we just never got the site coding done to implement it ourselves.

Chess time sounds like the best way to do this, I'm sure we all remember the problems last time with slow players holding up planet fights for months at a time.

Will comment on the other rules when I've read them :)

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:53 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yeah, the chess time will probably bring the biggest improvement to the clan war system.

As far as other things we learned... Systems became a mess once they got contested, especially after the alliance rules were introduced. 10+ armies battling it out for the same system created a whole heckofalot of battles for people to deal with, so the battle lasted a long time and could last multiple iterations. Each of these system battles became a tournament in and of themselves.

I think maybe these problems could be helped by greatly increasing the number of systems on a map, and maybe by putting more restrictions on how many armies could stay in any given system or something along those lines.

The clan war works much better when each system battle is resolved in a short amount of time.

Another lesson learned is that this system takes a lot of effort to keep up and running, which was its undoing in the end. Hard to find someone willing to go through so much effort for so long. We really need to get this thing automated, so all the moderator has to do is make sure that things run smoothly. The technology and know-how to do it are out there... just gotta find a web programmer with some spare time to set it up.

Quote:
2. We could don't use rounds and allow Clans to do any action (recruit new army or garrison, build fort or start invasion at the any time), but all action should have duration, for example, flight from sector to neighbor sector could be 3 days, building of fort - 7 days. Money could be automatically collected every day at the same time.

So basically, you send an order, then people will know instantly what your plans are and have a chance to respond? Interesting. Sounds like a lot of balancing work, and a headache for the moderator, but if we go fully automated, I could see it adding interesting strategy. It does make a clan leader have to keep up with things more frequently though so they make sure to respond in time to any tricky moves.

- Edit
Hmm, if we could automate this sucker, the balance problems of an action-based system could be balanced with a test war w/no battles (just random determinations based on mock-ranks of players). If you remember we used the same idea early on to balance test some of the war rules.

- Another Edit
We really have to change the name of Forts... so archaic. They outta be named something like Starbases :)

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:40 pm 
Tough Nut

my ideas:

3. Periodic map. (countries on the left border can be invaded from countries on the right border, same with top-bottom)
4. Time of flight between two neighbour planets is 1 or 2 days, other clans don't know about flight. When first army land on planet, battle starts for ALL armies that flies to this planet.
sample:
Tiger go from Beotorum to Brimstone at 3:00
Pitor go from Antarcticus to Brimstone at 6:00, and he doesn't know Tiger's movement.
next day at 3:00 battle will start between attackers (Tiger, Pitor) and defenders ( i don't want to be there :) )

about realization of project:

Main program will be written on java. export to xml file, that used by web-viewer ( i'm not a web-coder, so i need help with it ).
All movements clan leaders must tell to Liza chatbot ( console mode :) )

Last edited by Neoff on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:41 pm 
Sea Wolf

Found the rules we used for Centura:

Attacking a system
When attacking a system, you must pay a flat cost to invade.
When attacking a High, you must pay 1/4 of your income.
When attacking a Medium, you must pay 1/6 of your income.
When attacking a Low, you must pay 1/8 of your income.

Unit sell-back
A unit can be sold only during movement phase.
You will have half the current price of a unit refunded at the end of the war week.

Battle timelimits
After 4 weeks a battle will be adjudicated.
If the battle cannot be decided it will be adjudicated in a week.
Each extra week that the battle continues, the adjudications will become stricter.

Unit Limits
In a system, each clan can have a maximum of 5 armies and 10 garrisons.

For victory calculation based on total income recieved for a clan:

Balance needed to win for any alliance = (clan count + 1/ total clans)

clan count = # of clans in this alliance
total clans = # of active clans in the war

Balance for each clan = ( alliance income / total income )

Alliance income - Total of all income for members of this alliance
Total income - Recieved in the last update for all clans

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

Neoff wrote:
3. Periodic map. (countries on the left border can be invaded from countries on the right border, same with top-bottom)

Sounds good... allows many more opportunities for movement, giving clan leaders more options.

Neoff wrote:
4. Time of flight between two neighbour planets is 1 or 2 days, other clans don't know about flight. When first army land on planet, battle starts for ALL armies that flies to this planet.
sample:
Tiger go from Beotorum to Brimstone at 3:00
Pitor go from Antarcticus to Brimstone at 6:00, and he doesn't know Tiger's movement.
next day at 3:00 battle will start between attackers (Tiger, Pitor) and defenders ( i don't want to be there :) )

1-2 days is really quick, in consideration for the poor clan leader that has to keep up with the craziness. But other than that the concept sounds good.

Neoff wrote:
about realization of project:

Main program will be written on java. export to xml file, that used by web-viewer ( i'm not a web-coder, so i need help with it ).
All movements clan leaders must tell to Liza chatbot ( console mode :) )

If we can drag RMJ back from the dead, he could make quick work of it. He's the mastermind php dude. The main app was written in Borland C++, but if I were to do it again I'd go .NET, my latest playing field.

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:13 am 
Supreme Marshal

Now, when problems with spam on the forum have been resolved, I hope players will be more active in this discussion ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]