Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MA - MAN connection
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:12 pm 
Developer

Dear Massive Assault Players.

I have read a couple of posts here implying that the developers have forgotten about the intial MA community by making that M.A.N. Beta.
Let me assure you that it's absolutely not true. Yes, we've been damned busy the last couple of days compiling that Beta and handling the first wave of the newbies. But we always keep thinking and will keep thinking about our dear MA tough nuts...

Let me clarify the MA - MAN technical connection.
MAN's online profiles are absolutely the same as MA's profiles.

So, all the current MA players (even those who have not signed up for the Beta Test) are invited to download the Beta Version at:
http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com/do ... 192man.exe

Then download and apply the fist Patch:
http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com/download/man.exe

Then download the missing 4 Maps:
http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com/do ... p_pack.exe

And then run MAN and RESTORE your current MA's profiles - they must be working in MAN with no problem.
And you won't have to insert the CD to play online battles! :-)

Well, beware, there are hundreds of newbies wandering here and there in MAN... :-)

OK, thank you very much for your playing Massive Assault and M.A.N.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:30 pm 
Veteran

Outstanding!

One small problem for any other country bumpkins out there, this takes about 20hrs to download with a dial up connection!

No problem if you have a friendly neighbour with broadband.

I'm getting an error when I run man.exe. Have installed the pack and moved man.exe to the same directory but it does not run.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:43 pm 
Veteran

Seams to work ok once the maps have been installed.

Game on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:18 am 
There's a feature taht lets you offer a game to anyone that wants to play u ona set map/sides and like before you can put a little emssage on it, i mistakenly said i was offering mrntoring games, within aobut 2 hours i ahd 2 newbs trying to beat me :) Some of the tactics are very funny :) Altho some have given me the odd scare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:58 pm 
Conscript

Anonymous wrote:
There's a feature taht lets you offer a game to anyone that wants to play u ona set map/sides and like before you can put a little emssage on it, i mistakenly said i was offering mrntoring games, within aobut 2 hours i ahd 2 newbs trying to beat me :) Some of the tactics are very funny :) Altho some have given me the odd scare.

that mostlike was me :D:D:D:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:00 pm 
Developer

Anonymous wrote:
i mistakenly said i was offering mrntoring games, within aobut 2 hours i ahd 2 newbs trying to beat me :) Some of the tactics are very funny :) Altho some have given me the odd scare.

Well, those must have been our official Mentors (usnig different "noobs" names) trying to kick you out of mentoring, fearing the rivalry from you, so that they don't lose their jobs...
:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:59 pm 
I only had the demo... but now im playing full version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:51 am 
So what is the benefit of actually have MA over just having MAN when MAN goes live?

Will people who have shelled out for the main game have to shell out for the online component too?

There isn't really much information on how MA and MAN will integrate together and that is annoying.

Will I as a purchaser of MA have to pay to use MAN? Or will I get a few trial once MAN goes live and then have to pay? Or will I always get to use it for free because I paid for the retail version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:57 am 
Developer

MA players will not be obliged to subscribe and play MAN. They may continue play MA multiplayer. However they may install MAN and pay some lower subscribtion price. It is obvious now that MA and MAN will have compatibility like Win 95 and Win 98, but they will be different products and have different looks and features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:38 am 
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I just think you need to be clearer with what the differences actually are as it is very confusing right now as it is upsetting sections of your userbase.

So basically MA concentrates on the singleplayer game while MAN concentrates on the multiplayer component right and the only singleplayer portion is for training?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:27 am 
Developer

Yes. MA is Singleplayer game with some Mutiplayer support. MAN is Mutiplayer game with some Singleplayer for training purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:51 pm 
Conscript

I don't know if this has been stated before in other posts, but I would like to know officially what is the standing for people who have purchased M.A..
I don't mean to come off sounding negative, I like the game and want to continue playing but...
Is there going to be 2 communities, 1 for M.A. and 1 for M.A.N., or did I waste $40+ on a game that every body gets to download for free and then have to pay a subscription(even at a reduced cost it still sounds bad)?
Why do I think subscription games are bad?
1 - I play games almost everyday of the week if i can but not usually on weekends and I am also away from home about 1 week out of the month - so at most i can play 15 days out of the month(wasted half my subscription.)
2 - If i have to pay a subscription I want to get my monies worth so I neglect other things so I can play a game. When I own a game I dont feel obligated to play it.
3 - I am cheap - I can't see paying for somthing I already purchased.

Those are the 3 main reasons I have not played any subscription based games, and even as much as I like M.A. I still would't pay a monthly fee for it.

Also
VaNO wrote
"Yes. MA is Singleplayer game with some Mutiplayer support. MAN is Mutiplayer game with some Singleplayer for training purposes."

I have finished all the single player missions and scenarios(including the latest ones) in a matter of hours, are there going to be more single player campaigns or scens released.
There was a rash of corrupted games and the devs said there was going to be a patch to fix them - is it still coming?

I will wait for some answers before asking more questions, and again I really like M.A., think the devs are doing a great job, but I just wanted some questions answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:47 pm 
Developer

I've already said that in some topics... :evil:
It sounds something like this:
1) MA players are not obliged to use or pay for MAN
2) It's personal choice to everyone - pay or not MAN subscription fee. MAN is a product for those people who accepts such payment terms
3) MA players may continue use all what they have now and what they have paid for, including playing multiplayer games for free
4) WN may change the terms for MA multiplayer after 90 days prior notice, but WN is not going to it in any nearest future
5) Definitely MAN differs from MA in terms of multiplayer features and graphics just because it is another product, more network oriented and more modern
6) MA and MAN will have some compatibility and it will be possible to play games between MA and MAN
7) MA players will have some special price for migrating to MAN in some time after MAN release

So, what I should emphasize: MA players will not lose any value they have now, but they will not get some value that will be available only in MAN. And it is just nothing to officially announce about MA just because nothing will change for MA after new product release in spite of this new product is compatible with MA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:49 am 
Sea Wolf

With respect, I read these forums every day and I hadn't pieced this together. Don't you think a sticky to this effect would be a good idea, considering the number of people who ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:00 am 
Developer

Yes, it was not together yet. And some statements were not at all too. In any way I do not see a reason to explain officially what some people groundless suspect developers in. We are not going to do anything illegal or dishonest. We respect the freedom of everyone and do not deprive anyone of his rights, and will not do that. Personally I do not like such questions on the forum because they look like as accusations but they are unjust accusations and I do not like to justify developers in regard what has never been done and is not going to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:59 am 
Sea Wolf

Because, surely, you would want to quash rumours circulating among your customers; especially false ones. What possible benefit could letting false rumours have for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:58 pm 
What about continued support for M.A.?
Will we be seeing :
patches
new maps
new campaigns and scenarios
new features.
Was M.A. the first draft and now that M.A.N. is out M.A. is obsolete, as in M.A. works but if you want the good stuff get M.A.N.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:01 pm 
Conscript

Sorry that last post was from me.
And again dont want to seem to be bashing you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:45 pm 
Tough Nut

Not to sound Mean, but you guys are beating a dead horse here. :(
If you read this forum and the other forums related to MA - MAN all of these questions have been answered in one fashion or another at one place or another. I do like the summary that VaNo posted as it brings most of the content into one post. Thanks, VaNo! :)

My interpretation is this:

If you Have paid for and Use MA. Then what you have is what you've paid for. For me, it's a game that works great and gives me no problems what so ever (with the exception of when my net connection cut out, but that was not the fault of the game, only my ISP disconnecting). In addition with so many players on MA I can play the same maps over and over and still have new events take place and new strategies that come to mind. It also has the continued support from the Devs which is what I would expect.

IF you want the abilities for a better multiplaying online experience, then MAN is more suited for you and therefore should come at a price.

As stated before both are compatible with one another as an added bonus.

For myself, I don't get alot of time for online play so the MA system is perfect for my needs. It allows me to play a few turns before I go to work and play a few more after I get home before I go to bed.

If I were a person that had more time that could be devoted to online playing for 4 to 8 hours on end, then MAN would be my game of choice and I would pay for that service and the added feature rich experience it has to offer that MA does not.

Of course If I'm wrong, please let me know :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:21 pm 
Conscript

WhiteHawk I dont think we are beating a dead horse.
I just wanted to know without having to search through posts for if's and maybe's and i thinks from people who are not in a position to know. Like you said "My interpretation is this:"

I wanted to hear it from someone who knows and can put it in one spot for everybody to know.

And yes right now everything is working fine for M.A. what I was questioning was the future after M.A.N. is officially released.