Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:47 pm 
Veteran

I think that before MA gets a price nailed to its online play, shouldn't they try to market their product for sale a bit better. Without users, there is no justification for an online server, and without many users>1000 I don't think there is a reason for subscription fees.
Oh, yes, for those who work in this country, I think that advertisement should be increased for Florida.

Now harrasable via AIM and MSN messenger!

Fight until you die or drop,
A Force Like Ours is Hard to Stop!
Close your mind to stress and pain,
Fight till You're No Longer Sane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:38 pm 
VaNO wrote:
It is not decided yet. It depends on the relationship of MA and MAN - how separate they will be. A lot of MA players do not want to pay any additional fees and want to play multiplayer for free forever. And it is reasonable. We may not stop the service they bought inside the box. And if we satisfy these interests, they will get just what they have paid for. But MAN subscribers will get something more. And it sounds very reasonable. It is like your car or TV-set: you may drive your old car or watch old TV-set, but if you want new model of car or TV-set, you should pay for it. I do not know any manufactures, which upgrade cars or TV-sets to new models for free. Customers may count only on some free problems fixing and some warranty. Don’t you think it is right?t/quote]

Yes, I think if your going to continue working on this project you should be compensated accordingly.

I was just trying to satisfy my curiosity...

Post subject: Re: Expansions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:40 pm 
Thumper wrote:
I would be happy to simply get the promised AI upgrade. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for expansion packs with additional maps, scenarios, and possibly units (although I like the unit balance now). I would make it a point to purchase these expansion packs online directly from the developers as they were available for download.

I do believe, however, that the promises the developers have made to the existing community regarding an AI upgrade and a couple of additional maps should be kept.

I love the game, but cannot regularly connect to the internet. I have a couple of online games going but enjoy the scenarios and campaigns immensly.

My two cents :D

I'll add my 2 cents to that...

Now we have 4 cents supporting this claim. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:41 pm 
Veteran

Anonymous wrote:
VaNO wrote:
It is not decided yet. It depends on the relationship of MA and MAN - how separate they will be. A lot of MA players do not want to pay any additional fees and want to play multiplayer for free forever. And it is reasonable. We may not stop the service they bought inside the box. And if we satisfy these interests, they will get just what they have paid for. But MAN subscribers will get something more. And it sounds very reasonable. It is like your car or TV-set: you may drive your old car or watch old TV-set, but if you want new model of car or TV-set, you should pay for it. I do not know any manufactures, which upgrade cars or TV-sets to new models for free. Customers may count only on some free problems fixing and some warranty. Don’t you think it is right?t/quote]

Yes, I think if your going to continue working on this project you should be compensated accordingly.

I was just trying to satisfy my curiosity...

And again I wasn't logged in...

Post subject: Re: Expansions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:42 pm 
Veteran

Anonymous wrote:
Thumper wrote:
I would be happy to simply get the promised AI upgrade. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for expansion packs with additional maps, scenarios, and possibly units (although I like the unit balance now). I would make it a point to purchase these expansion packs online directly from the developers as they were available for download.

I do believe, however, that the promises the developers have made to the existing community regarding an AI upgrade and a couple of additional maps should be kept.

I love the game, but cannot regularly connect to the internet. I have a couple of online games going but enjoy the scenarios and campaigns immensly.

My two cents :D

I'll add my 2 cents to that...

Now we have 4 cents supporting this claim. :)

This not being logged in thing is getting old... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:19 pm 
Veteran

Yes.
Yes it is.

As for the discussion thus far:

I actually do think it reasonable to expect people to pay extra for MAN itself. Thats like paying for an expansion pack or whatnot.
I still stand by my statement that you shouldn't start tacking extra fees onto the Massive Assault all of us here have already paid for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:27 pm 
Sea Wolf

I agree with Icarus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:57 pm 
Veteran

I do not think there should be a monthly or yearly fee, but rather that any fees up to premium service should be one time only. Premium fees should be a subscription. :evil:

For those of us who are 17 and under (like me; I'm 17), how can we be expected to pay for such a service without a credit card? It makes it difficult to stay in the game. :-?

I, for example, have an allowance and over $200 :wink:at my disposal, but that won't help me with a subscription service.[/quote]

Now harrasable via AIM and MSN messenger!

Fight until you die or drop,
A Force Like Ours is Hard to Stop!
Close your mind to stress and pain,
Fight till You're No Longer Sane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:40 pm 
Conscript

Paying for things you enjoy is a fact of life. Yes, we paid for the game initially and we do deserve a reasonable amount of support for that purchase. The scenarios, campaigns and current MP features are a decent value, in my opinion. I do think that any AI upgrades should be available to all.

But I realize that if I want continued development and game growth, then the developers are going to need to keep working on the project, which means that they are going to have to be paid. Currently, the most popular business model for this is a subscription.

Five dollars won't even get me to the movies by myself. So as long as I'm playing a game or two, I would be willing to pay a small subscription fee. And let's face it, if the game does not evolve, then in 3 to 6 months the vast majority of us will be playing something else.

I am a huge turn based strategy fan and I really hope that this game and community live up to the potential fun I think it has.

See you on the battlefield,

Bolshan

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask questions."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:21 pm 
Sea Wolf

Strategos wrote:
I do not think there should be a monthly or yearly fee, but rather that any fees up to premium service should be one time only. Premium fees should be a subscription. :evil:

For those of us who are 17 and under (like me; I'm 17), how can we be expected to pay for such a service without a credit card? It makes it difficult to stay in the game. :-?

I, for example, have an allowance and over $200 :wink:at my disposal, but that won't help me with a subscription service.
[/quote]

I don't have a credit card eithter. I do have paypal bu only after i sell something online. So that's a limited resource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:27 pm 
Sea Wolf

Definately good points, Bolshan. I fully agree. Along with that, I'd like to point to the support that the MA team has given to us as players as we try to improve the community. This level of support is unprecedented by anything I've ever seen before, I haven't seen a Developer so willing to listen to everyones concerns and handle them individually as much as the Massive Assault team does.

Here are some examples: I have been involoved in the clan system, and here are some of the items that the Devs have gone out of their way to help us in this effort:

1) Full access to intellectual property for use in fan sites, additional programs (like my scenario editor), and so forth. We have been allowed to take any pictures from the Massive Assault site or in game that would help us.

2) FTP access in order to upload files that would be otherwise difficult to put on a free web server.

3) Full support in the Clan idea, including the choice of several Developers to participate in clans.

4) Enabling PHP on our Massive Assault based web code so we can automate how the clan war runs... this has been a daunting task by hand, but the php scripts will make this run very smootly with little maintenance

5) Access to the Tournament Manager so that we can manually create battles for the players. This is a powerful tool that also allows us to track the progress of games and make adjustments as necessary.

6) Turning around and putting the code in to show the progress of these games on the Massive Assault official site for all to see.

7) The addition of clan specific private forums for conducting clan strategy

8 ) Access to other specific data that helps us with our defensive assignments and player matching, etc.

9) Being available to answer questions quickly and rosolve any issues that arose.

Of course I know the MA team can't give all these tools to every individual that plays the game, but it shows how intensely willing they are to build the community.

They have shown they are willing to bend over backwards to keep this community alive, and I agree that they should be rewarded for that. With these as an example of the level of support the MA team will give, we can see what level of support we can continue to have with the Massive Assault Network. Is 5$ too much to pay for the perfect game when so much support is given? I think not.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:07 pm 
Levy

For me it comes down to what MAN offers in the way of entertainment. I'll try it, and if I think it's worth the money I'll keep paying it and if it isn't, I won't.

I have no problem with the idea of subscription fees (and $4-95 isn't a lot), provided sufficient support and enhancement of the game is provided.

BTW, for the benefit of those out there without credit cards, surely an alternative of some sort can be arranged ? Most other subscription games have managed to do that, and it would be a shame to see younger players missing out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:30 am 
Instead of an ongoing fee, I would prefer to see a one-time fee. I think something around 10-20 bucks would be reasonable, especially if it included 5 or so new world maps/campaigns. Paying an ongoing fee needs to include ongoing value, so if you go that route I would expect to see at least a new map every month.

Paying month by month would probably not make you as much money as a larger one time fee. I doubt you will see most players for longer than 2 or 3 months on average anyway.

Twostep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:37 am 
Tough Nut

Yknow, when I started reading this I was disappointed somewhat, to see that MA was going to a subscription based system. I'm a college student, and I'm keeping debt at bay by working many many hours in the demeaning field of foodservice. each month's 5$ fee would be an hour of work for me. nothing more, nothing less. and after some thought, I can hardly justify not paying it. Some of you people are talking about being too short on cash due to family or whatnot, but I imagine that most of you eek out more than mimum wage... how much do you make? 10 an hour, 15, 20 even? It can't take that much more effort to scrape together another 5 bucks. I'd go so far as to wager that many of you spend more time in a month staring at that loading bar as MA boots, than you would working to pay for that measly extra 5.

I guess I sound a little angry about it, but that bit about the publisher not paying them means most of us here in the US are basically playing stolen goods. Legally they might've gotten away with it; but publisher's that do that kind of stuff are morally no different than a warez ftp that charges for entrance. I ordered the game directly from the site, but since it came in a matrix games retail box I'm guessing you guys saw none of my cash. Maybe I'm the odd one here, but if theres a way to buy an additional copy directly from you, or actually pay you for the one I got, post it here... as the current stituation really just doesn't sit right with me. I'd like to think I'm not the only person who actually feels that stolen property is stolen regardless of who it gets fenced through. I had a paypal account at one point, and might be able to reactivate it, or I could always mail a check even, if that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:35 am 
Developer

Ordering MA from the site is quite OK, we receive this money, however it is the only we receive in USA for now. But it is not a question.

As for MA and MAN subscription, I think we would offer really wise solution, where MA players will not be obliged to pay any subscriptions, but they will have reasons to do it. In any way they will have a choice.

Thank you everybody for words that have been written here. They really helped us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:43 am 
Sea Wolf

traj wrote:
...but that bit about the publisher not paying them means most of us here in the US are basically playing stolen goods.

Hadn't thought about it that way! Its true! I would agree with traj' solution as well.

I'd send a bunch of complaint letters to them, but I'm sure they have some kind of legal standing (legally ripping off independent developers). But if there is any outlet we can go to to comment about the situation, let me know!

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:35 am 
Developer

traj wrote:
I'd go so far as to wager that many of you spend more time in a month staring at that loading bar as MA boots, than you would working to pay for that measly extra 5.

For this sort o people there will be a special non-free version that loads instantly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:39 am 
Sea Wolf

I don't see the player base, nor content additions, nor server load, to justify a subscription. This game is sold as a chess-a-like game, but I can play chess free.

Let's not forget that we're tied into the central server for no good reason. That server, with the dynamics of the game as they stand, does not need to exist. This could be a LAN/PBEM game, but it isn't.

I don't like being tied into someting simply so I will pay for it further down the line. I will not.

Last edited by Quitch on Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:14 pm 
what are you guys talkin about like paying for patches and maps etc. or paying for internet play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:33 am 
Developer

They are talking about paying for internet play in MA. I've already answered, that most probably they will not have to pay for internet play in MA because they have already paid for the box.

But it doesn't mean that buying one our product should make all our further products free for them. And I do not understand why somebody speaks about his desire to not pay. I know very well that people prefer do not pay if it is possible. In any way MAN pricing policy is not a subject of this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next