Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: There should be a quicker way to play people
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:10 pm 
Like for quickies the whole turn thing is just annoying. I can think of 1 way to make it better for people who want to play right away.

Make a 1-3 minute time limit for turns

Now I know you will be like "WTF turns take more then 1 minute". But I mean if the person hasn't moved any of it's troops in over 1-3 minutes their turn is skipped. If it has been 10 minutes (or more/less, depending on the average time it takes to complete a turn) The turn is skipped. I suggest 30 seconds per unit movement though.

Maybe have people create games instead of declaring challenges would help the above way better. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:33 pm 
Sea Wolf

Speed chess was never the equal of chess because it was all about choosing the best path you could see in the time available, rather than flexing your mind and choosing the best path possible.

Myself, I prefer to set a large number of games going, I certainly would avoid any game that started trying to rush my moves. That rewind button is half the fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:32 pm 
Tough Nut

Quitch wrote:
Speed chess was never the equal of chess

True, but he makes an excellent point .. It would be great if there was a way for two people to play an entire game, back and forth, in a short period of time.

Perhaps there could be a max time before the turn has to _start_ and then a max time for the whole turn or (taking a page from speed chess) a total time for the game for each opponent.

It makes the whole game much more accessable, where it isn't a several week commitment to play a single game.

I also have a problem of, where I am playing 20 games at the same time, forgetting what my strategy was for a particular skirmish or game.

What does everyone else think?

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:04 pm 
Sea Wolf

I don't care about the speed issue, but your comment on forgetting strategy is worth talking about. I am able to remember the strategy and revise it in accordance with things I have learned in other games, also coming back to game after a while lets you see new possibilities you might have missed.

Note to self: Put that Vic quote as signature too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:39 pm 
I use window's notepad to keep track of my strategies and movements, it helps pretty much as long as I know the last move I made I remember my strategy. And yeah speed chess is not as good, but I think they should give you the option just incase you want to play a quickie with a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:21 am 
Tough Nut

XIIISeed wrote:
I use window's notepad to keep track of my strategies and movements, it helps pretty much as long as I know the last move I made I remember my strategy.

My strategies rarely last beyond my opponent's turn. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:15 am 
Tough Nut

XIIISeed wrote:
I use window's notepad to keep track of my strategies and movements, it helps pretty much as long as I know the last move I made I remember my strategy.

It would be nice if some kind of note-taking feature existed in-game. You could mark certain units or provinces with your upcoming strategy, destination, etc.

Also, while we are talking a bout "wouldn't it be nice if..." I have two others:

- On particularly large maps (2 of the new ones, specifically) It would be really nice to be able to have a larger mini-map .. Sometimes it is very difficult to see where all my units are, espcially the navy ones when they are not within firing range of other units.

- A movement "tickler" at the end of the combat phase for any units that have not moved .. Same as the previous comment, on some maps it is hard to keep track of all the units .. It would get cumbersome with a lot of units but there has to be some way to implement it so that you don't keep forgetting those bombers you keep meaning to move up to the carrier ...

Thoughts?

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:21 pm 
Conscript

Ok Here:

These people can make the best netcode ever for this game. There not doing a full multiplayer game.. for example like Medal of Honor beucase they want to release this game to the public for free but have some stuff which EA eg. have in there games but not in this.

I dont mind doing turns but we should say thank you to the people who are spending there time coding this game.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:47 pm 
Sea Wolf

If you want a quick game, I'd reccomend you put out a "Game Wanted" request which includes your IM details (if you use a program like Trillian, you can be on most major IM networks at once) and time zone. Note that you want a quick-fire experience, and off you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm 
Sea Wolf

If you want a quick game, I'd reccomend you put out a "Game Wanted" request which includes your IM details (if you use a program like Trillian, you can be on most major IM networks at once) and time zone. Note that you want a quick-fire experience, and off you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:56 pm 
Sea Wolf

Sorry, connection failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:42 am 
Sea Wolf

Or he could come in here and make suggestions during the beta period, which he did. If you don't like people making suggestions, don't come to beta forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:17 am 
Sea Wolf

MAN makes it a lot easier to play a quick game because of the chat feature. Just find somebody who's sitting in chat, send a challenge, then every time you finish a turn, go to the chat channel and say "done" or something of the like.

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:54 am 
Sea Wolf

You can keep chat open while you're taking your turn. No need to go back to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:56 am 
Sea Wolf

True, Quitch. I must've forgot that detail because I keep the in-game chat turned off :oops:

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!