Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Player list? (Or Network not really networked...)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:37 am 
Conscript

Hello!

I just had time to install and test the beta today. I must say that I am disappointed. I feel very isolated, and not connected to a network at all.

In this day and age of broadband connections, why does the game have to ask every time it connects to a server?

I mean, this is the online part of the game, of course the game should be online at all times!

To further add to the feeling of being disconnected, isolated and alone, there is no active player list, showing who else is alone.

The chat panel is an empty, blank plate.

My suggestion is that all players who log on to the network will automatically join a public chat, and be displayed in a list of people currently connected.

There should also be private messaging, and menus to display player information when you click on them.

The internet is not turn based, and neither should any gaming lobby be.

But then again, this will be a free add-on, if I'm not mistaken? Perhaps one shouldn't ask too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:37 am 
Sea Wolf

I agree with regards to connecting to the server. Surely all these continued connection negociations must generate more overhead than establishing and holding a connection till leaving the multiplayer area?

Post subject: I like the turn based idea
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:53 am 
Veteran

Hi,
for many people it is difficult to be online all the time. When I came home I log on get new turns, do mine and send them out. That`s pretty cool. What I would support though is that more players can play in one battle, and still it could be turn based.

Post subject: Re: Player list? (Or Network not really networked...)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:14 am 
Tough Nut

eobet wrote:
In this day and age of broadband connections, why does the game have to ask every time it connects to a server?

You are overestimating the number of people with broadband, even today lots of people don't have access to a broadband connection.. I am one of them.

You can always join the channel "Common"...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:47 am 
Sea Wolf

eobet wrote:
To further add to the feeling of being disconnected, isolated and alone, there is no active player list, showing who else is alone.

The Opponents Wanted tab shows everybody who wants a game no matter who they're playing (if you're in their requested level range, that is). Also, I've found that hitting the Private button in the Chat tab gives a much longer list than those people in the Common channel, so my assumption is that that is all the people online at the time, and probably a Private Message function as well.

eobet wrote:
The chat panel is an empty, blank plate.

Try joining channel Common. It's not as lively as Battle.net, but you still shouldn't have much trouble finding somebody to talk to.

Liddan wrote:
You are overestimating the number of people with broadband, even today lots of people don't have access to a broadband connection.. I am one of them.

I agree completely. I moved to Tennessee nearly five years ago, and it wasn't until last week that there were so much as plans for a commercial broadband line within 100 miles of my house.

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:34 pm 
Liddan wrote:
You can always join the channel "Common"...

Ah, didn't know there was one! Found the button now, but they really need to place it where it grabs more attention. Or have a popup asking if you wish you join the common chat when you click the Chat tab.

Artanis wrote:
I agree completely. I moved to Tennessee nearly five years ago, and it wasn't until last week that there were so much as plans for a commercial broadband line within 100 miles of my house.

Bah, you Americans with your stone age communications. Europe is way better off, and apparently this game was developed by Russians. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:30 pm 
Veteran

Over half of all Americans now have high speed internet connections. So says the news. There wasn't a lot of detail in the report so I can't tell you more than that.