Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:53 am 
Sea Wolf

The USSR was a recognised superpower during a period of the 20th century, but I don't recall Russia ever being one. Or am I mistaken on this front?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:02 am 
P.L. Marshal

the word "superpower" is more a PR expression than a scientific definition...really not much meaning in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:35 pm 
Veteran

1. Re: New 3rd party.

I think that it should be actualy to present World position without any questions (it was good idea re China) but looking at the future a little bit. Due to this I'm offering to make new big Alliance contained several countries. It's more verisimilary.
If it's interesting - we'll be thinking over this one further.

2. Re: Special notice for Quitch.

Quitch - my dear young friend,

Keep pls yr absurd thoughts re Russia in yr triangular head. Probably you know World history, probably you look for the present but yr eyes are closed. It isn't in yr competention to discuss such themes.
And additionally, the essential quantity from the Best MA Playesrs are from CIS countries for yr notice (there is also Russia) - if it's tell you this one something. I don't want to offend anyone - I mean by the rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:36 am 
Sea Wolf

Drakon wrote:
1. Re: New 3rd party.

I think that it should be actualy to present World position without any questions (it was good idea re China) but looking at the future a little bit. Due to this I'm offering to make new big Alliance contained several countries. It's more verisimilary.
If it's interesting - we'll be thinking over this one further.

2. Re: Special notice for Quitch.

Quitch - my dear young friend,

Keep pls yr absurd thoughts re Russia in yr triangular head. Probably you know World history, probably you look for the present but yr eyes are closed. It isn't in yr competention to discuss such themes.
And additionally, the essential quantity from the Best MA Playesrs are from CIS countries for yr notice (there is also Russia) - if it's tell you this one something. I don't want to offend anyone - I mean by the rating.

Unless you are prepared to correct me, and I made it obvious I was open to such a thing, then do not sit there and pretend mighty thoughts are roaming your head and you hold the knowledge everyone else is missing, because it's just a waste of my time, your time, and forum space.

Since the ratings have plainly been shown to reflect "experience", that more Russian players hold top ranks would show nothing more than the fact that they've played more games than everyone else. Anyway, unless you can tell me how many Russian players are playing, then the number in the top number of players is fairly meaningless anyway, without corresponding data from the rest of the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:54 am 
Veteran

Don't think Russia is so weak. They may not have nuclear capability. but if the cold war ever got hot, we could have sustained casualties like that of (I'll hazard a guess) World War 1.
I think and large and nuclear capable country with the exception of Russia should deserve to have a side representing them in battle.
As a related matter, i do not think that any of the sides should have special units for their side as it might unbalance the game.

Now harrasable via AIM and MSN messenger!

Fight until you die or drop,
A Force Like Ours is Hard to Stop!
Close your mind to stress and pain,
Fight till You're No Longer Sane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:02 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'm sure WWIII would have made WWI seem like a picnic, had nuclear weapons ever been used... but during the Cold War the USSR was classed as one of the worlds two super-powers. Who said I considered that a sign of weakness?

I fail to see what the world of MA has to do with this though.

Post subject: More than 1 v 1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:39 pm 
Strategos wrote:
if the cold war ever got hot, we could have sustained casualties like that of (I'll hazard a guess) World War 1.

If the Cold was ever got hot the earth would glow in the dark and there wouldn't be much left except a dark veil of dust that covered the surface of the planet.

Thats why it never got hot - because in the end the heads of the USSR and the USA were intelligent leaders who knew the only outcome would have been Mutual Assured Destruction which would have included all of the human race. Who cares which superpower is more powerful when there is nothing and no one left?

Back on topic:
I've played the demo and would agree with the need for more then a 1 v 1 game. While you can have a 3rd side added into the game, you can also alleviate the problem by having 2 players as one side. I mean 2 players can play as the FNU and have the same skinset, but a different color and a different turn. That would make for a 4 player 2 v 2 game with 2 players as the Phantom Force and 2 as the FNU.

Also an idea for the Guerialla force is to leave those purchase choices and combat moves to the AI. When someone invades you can add a computer player who gains control of that country or something along those lines.

The other issue to face is allowing you ally to move through your territory. Also you should consider allowing the sharing of units and resource although this is improbable since resource in this game is so scarce and has to be used in a micromanagement fashion (you'd not have the excess resource to spare). But on the issue of unit sharing, there should be a way to coordinate attacks during one players combat turn (which would maximize the damage in one turn, but rendering the unit useless during your own turn).

All just ideas to chew on. I understand some of the things are simply outrageous to implement into the current game designs.

Don't bother responding to this post as I won't be checking back. I was just dropping some ideas off. Hope to see a finished build of the game on shelves in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:51 pm 
Conscript

australia's a superpower !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:04 am 
Sea Wolf

shoefish wrote:
australia's a superpower !

ph33r teh Kangar00z!

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:11 pm 
Veteran

USSR/Russia is part of the topic because I wasn't debating that there should be more than two sides, rather who the new sides would represent.
(i.e. F.N.U. would replesent America and Phantom League would represent Iraq)
We could add a clan.
i.e. Clan Wolf.
We don't have to call these new factions "Russia" or "USSR", but instead something like "Russan" or "Neo-Soviet States". Definitely open to suggestion.
You see, I think we should not only increase number of player abilities, but also create new sides with new models.
Well I say all this because brainstorming is how the developers probably come up the ideas for the latest games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:29 pm 
Sea Wolf

Getting away from the whole Russia debate...

If a third side IS made, how about basing it on the Romans? "Neo Rome" or something. It'd make for some cool unit names, and would actually fit the Secret Allies system well (Rome had a habit of annihilating anybody who didn't surrender immediately, so Neo Rome's SAs could be countries that did so out of fear or something).

The only problem would be thinking up names for non-ground units...the Romans weren't real big on sailing (or flying, for that matter ;) ).

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:08 pm 
P.L. Marshal

thinking that Phantom league is Iraq is pretty stupid.
Hussein's Iraq was just a little country with weak army which posed no threat for US or world in general.
Stupid US dvellers always think that their troubles are the all-world troubles (even when those troubles are totally imaginative)
And plantom league is very powerful organisation consisting of large amount of countries along all colonised space.Lol probably strategos thinks that Iraq had it own spaceships and could travel to other stars :D
actually if you play PL campaign and read those texts - they are very much like the propaganda used by USSR and communist parties in time of cold war. its all about "spreading the fire of revolution" and "overthrowing the capitalist oppressors" and such stuff
So if you really want to compare MA with real world hystory so probably FNU is NATO and Phantom League is Warshav Pact (USSR and allies)
But such comparation is pretty useless because MA is based on science fiction and developers not though much about real world politics.
therefore....let's think - do we really need the third side to represend the another empire from our Earth present or past? of course in theory devs probably can make neo-Rome or neo-Ancient Egypt or Neo-Babylonian or some such noncence but what for? that's not interesting...i would like the third side to represent some completely alien force from another world...something like Predators from that film you all know....the civilisation completely unlike our which uses it;s own unique technologies and combat vehicles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:02 pm 
Veteran

It is not the size of the country that matters. Iraq would have taken over the world if it could. Good thing America has stopped them from doing so.
Saddam might have gotten away with attacking its neighbor too if we hadn't stopped it.

:P We have Saddam! :P
As unethical as it is, I hope he burns in hello operator, Jojo's on the line.
We can copy the behavior of famous generals too, you think?
Perhaps then the A.I. might be more interesting an opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:02 pm 
P.L. Marshal

and as usual strategos not understood anything....and i am lazy to argue with him.
dunno what he is so proud about...for US capturing Iraq was as easy as it is easy for 40 year man to beat up 5 year kid...but is there any honour in it?
anyway let's leave that strategos alone with his brainwashed mind and really discuss the third side....i really think its good idea to make that third side to be some aliens with completely different set of units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:33 pm 
Veteran

Is there a need for any honor? We put out that fire before it had a chance.
I think monarchy would be nice, but only if there was a benevolent and just ruler governing it. Anyway, my validity doesn't matter on this board. I am trying to steer this board towards a choice of who and what will be. And here you are trying to shoot down perfectly good ideas.