Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

There are two options of how this could be run? Which do you prefer:
Having one day set aside for this tournament, with tourney rounds happening successively 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Doing one tournament round per saturday for 3-4 weeks, each day only taking a few hours 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Lightning Tournament
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

Enforcer and I have worked up an idea to have a quick tournament- one in which each game will have a time limit of a few hours.

In order to facilitate this, we have talked to the devs, and they have promised a special version of MA that will allow us to have a turn time limit of 10 minutes.

So here are the initial details that we have worked out:
1) The tournament will begin on Saturday, June 5
2) All games will be played on smaller maps to facilitate faster play. Right now we are thinking Emerald.
3) You will only have 10 minutes for each turn (this may change), after which your opponent can force the game to be finished. This is just as the current system works, only much quicker.
4) There will also be a game time as well. Right now we are thinking 4 hours. If the game is not complete at that time, we will use the 1st tournament's rules of balance and unit totals to determine the winner
5) You will be given 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw (if the winner can't be determined when the game time is up), and 0 for a loss. This is for the first round.

Still to be determined:
1) How many rounds to have.
2) The maps we use for which rounds.
3) How many minutes per turn, and how long the game time is.
4) How to determine who plays who. Divide players up into classes? Random opponents? Seed opponents by score?
5) How many concurrent games. It'd be nice to have 2, as that would allow you to play for the full time, but we see problems with that in a tourney setting.

Any players interested in joining this tournament, please email us at newworldorder@graffiti.net
edit - Make sure to indicate you want to join the Lightning tournament, and what your MAN player name is

We'll maintain a list of players signed up.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Last edited by Maelstrom on Thu May 13, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:29 am 
Sea Wolf

1. Enough rounds to eliminate people down to a final :)

2. Emerald, Antarcticus and Brimstone.

3. Your idea sounded good, 10 minutes isn't enough for much rewinding. Should be interesting.

4. I'd say ensure the Marshal's don't meet for at least two rounds, or only have them enter after two rounfd.

5. Bad idea. I don't want a 10 minute game arriving while I'm four minutes into my turn on another game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:10 am 
Sea Wolf

we don't think that knockout will work unless we only get 16 ppl (4 rounds) most likely we'll just do it on points. will probably just do 1 map too.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:31 am 
Sea Wolf

Fine then, Emerald, two games per weekend against one opponent over as many weeks as there are players. Person with most wins at the end is the champion. and in the case of a draw the person with the most FNU wins takes the title, then if two people still tied the person who beats the other one wins, and if it's still a draw do it by total turns taken.

There, I think that covers it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:25 am 
Sea Wolf

humm so 2 games per weekend, we talking 1 on saturday and 1 on sunday, or 2 on 1 day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:28 am 
Sea Wolf

Considering the four hour limit, it would need to be one Saturday and one Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:53 am 
Sea Wolf

These are the people that have expressed interest in joining the Lightning tournament. I will update this post as the roster grows.

Artanis
Mwigor
Vixman

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Last edited by Maelstrom on Thu May 13, 2004 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:32 am 
Sea Wolf

After all the suggestions I gave, I hate to say it, but I'm no fan of speed chess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:51 am 
Sea Wolf

The point is not to have games where you don't have time to complete your turns so you have to make hasty decisions, the point is to have a tournament that is finished in a reasonable amount of time, with a minimal time requirement on the players. Is 10 minutes per turn not long enough for a descent game on Emerald? If 15 minutes would be better we can discuss that.

And in other news, after discussions with the developers, it looks like all MAN players are welcome to play in this tournament, including those that are using the trial software. Unfortunately, people playing MA won't be able to get the patch needed in time (10/15 minute timeouts). Those that have MA could download the trial version of MAN to participate, however.

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:55 am 
Sea Wolf

We can try to run blitz tournament anyway. It will be an interesting experience for MA. I dont know, perhaps it's better to set 15 minutes time-limit for first time. If i'm free on the tournament day I can take part in it, with any time limit.

And also, how i'll see, how many time is remaind for this turn while i do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:20 pm 
Sea Wolf

Maelstrom wrote:
The point is not to have games where you don't have time to complete your turns so you have to make hasty decisions, the point is to have a tournament that is finished in a reasonable amount of time, with a minimal time requirement on the players. Is 10 minutes per turn not long enough for a descent game on Emerald? If 15 minutes would be better we can discuss that.

And in other news, after discussions with the developers, it looks like all MAN players are welcome to play in this tournament, including those that are using the trial software. Unfortunately, people playing MA won't be able to get the patch needed in time (10/15 minute timeouts). Those that have MA could download the trial version of MAN to participate, however.

You haven't seen me in micro mode. I never miss a point of damage :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:51 am 
Sea Wolf

Maelstrom wrote:
These are the people that have expressed interest in joining the Lightning tournament. I will update this post as the roster grows.

Artanis
Mwigor
Vixen

Notes: I will play with my MAN (Trial) profile Vixman, not Vixen. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:53 am 
Sea Wolf

this kind of game will be a test of your imediate thoughts and moves not of how well your long term planning is, should be fun to see how some od the top people do without hours to plan their moves :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:37 am 
Sea Wolf

Exactly, it's not something I personally find much interest in testing myself at. Like seeing how champion swimmers do with one arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:52 am 
Sea Wolf

Enforcer wrote:
should be fun to see how some od the top people do without hours to plan their moves :)

Heh, I might just have a chance to win it, then!

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:32 pm 
Sea Wolf

fair enough quitch, i can understand why it might not be fun for all kinds of ma players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:23 am 
Sea Wolf

Quitch wrote:
Exactly, it's not something I personally find much interest in testing myself at. Like seeing how champion swimmers do with one arm.

I accept that this may not interest you - but I don't like your analogy - surely this game is a lot more like chess - where lightning tournaments are extremely popular

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:53 pm 
Sea Wolf

That's the one I tend to use, I don't like speed chess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:25 pm 
P.L. Marshal

as for me - i never played speed chess (i am not chess player) but in MA - i think concentrating on one game and finishing this game within one day is much better way to play...in comparison with usual "one turn per day" system - the fast playing gives you much better "feeling" of a game and allows you to carry out plans more effectively.
when you load a game where opponent not answered for a week you actually forget what the heck was going there and you have to think again and practically you have to make your plan again from scratch.because if you have alot of games you will not be able to remember all of them.
so playing fast gives you much better control - you remember plan perfectly and you can concentrate on making tactical decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:18 am 
Sea Wolf

Playing fast and playing within a day are not the same thing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next