Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:38 am 
Sea Wolf

Ah, okay, now I see the edit, nm then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:12 am 
Sea Wolf

we coudl try and do wrap around, eg n-s/e-w are touching, but then u ahve problems with adding new clans, maybe just do wrap aroun 1 direction

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:57 pm 
Sea Wolf

An idea that actually doesn't have to do with the Clan War map:

In an internal tournament, FoR is trying out giving players the ability to reject a starting layout (idea thought up by Quitch), and I thought that that would be something that would be great in the Clan War as something clans could spend their money on. Basically, how it works is that the player looks at his layout and either accepts it or DOES NOT DO ANYTHING AT ALL PERIOD and says "I want a new one". The game would be cancelled and a new one sent, with the player being required to accept the new one, even if the layout is worse. If a player decides not to use his or her rejection, it goes to waste. For clanwar-specific mechanics, the option for this would have to be bought before knowing whether it'd be needed (like the PL option currently is), and a clan wouldn't be able to buy multiple rejections for a match.

To add to this idea, I was thinking that an attacker using the PL option would have to pay extra for the rejection option, or even not be able to use it at all. This would help to offset the power of the PL option on small maps and give clans a reason (other than "we're out of money") not to use the PL option.

For an example that will (hopefully) clarify things a bit:

FoR spends $10 to attack GoT. Then they spend an additional $20 for the PL Option and a further $10 to buy a Rejection Option (which would normally be $5, but is more expensive due to the PL Option). GoT assigns a defender and decides to buy a rejection option for $5. GoT, having to defend a small planet as FNU, really wants a second rejection option, but can't have it and thus has to make due with only one.

The game starts, and Artanis and Tiger look at their layouts. Artanis really really hates his, so he uses the Rejection Option, the game is cancelled, and a second one sent. This one is even worse for Artanis, but he has no choice but to use it. Tiger looks at his second layout and likes it, so he goes ahead and keeps it. GoT does NOT get back the $5 that the unused Rejection Option cost them.

Thanks to the PL Option, a bit of luck, and all of his skill, Artanis then proceeds to last until the turn counter actually hits double digits before Tiger beats the hell out of him :lol:

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:17 pm 
Sea Wolf

Ack! You posted the same topic in two threads Artanis :) Now we'll have two threads of discussion on the same idea! I posted something in response to Artanis' previous post in the "Clan War" thread

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:29 pm 
Sea Wolf

Well then, I guess I'll just have to get this thread back on its (apparent) topic, of course! 8)

It looks to me like a major problem with the clan war map is that so many necessary/desirable options seem mutually exclusive. I think I've found a layout that will get a good feel for the "big picture", an easy way to add new clans, AND the equality that I've harped on for the entirety of three threads.

Basically, the current Clan War map (or a variant of it, such as the Star configuration for territories) would be copy/pasted to make 2 "War Zones", and one of the War Zones would be scrambled around. Clans would have territory in each War Zone, and each clan would have a bridge between their territories in the form of a wormhole.

I've managed to lay out the new clan additions in such a way as to ensure as much equality as possible for each established clan while giving new clans an easier time. New clans would be added to the appropriate space in BOTH War Zones simultaneously (so that every clan always has a (starting) territory in each War Zone).

P.S., an idea that might be kind of neat: use different territory shapes in each War Zone, like the Stars in one and Diamonds in the other....but we can blow up that bridge when we get to it.

Attachments:
File comment: I used hexes to show who borders who, not necessarily territory shape. The current clans' hexes are colored, the future new clans' hexes are numbered by the order in which they are added.
clanmap2.jpg
clanmap2.jpg [ 24.12 KiB | Viewed 20633 times ]

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:07 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yeah, that looks pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:43 am 
Sea Wolf

37's idea about alliances could be interesting, being able to attack from an allies system (maybe being able to add the 2 clans planets together when deciding invading costs could work too.)

Might want to consider a 3rd invasion cost when attacking from a system u completely own, and maybe another for attacking when u have 2 systems bordering the target system etc..

maybe..

attacking from 1 system where u own 1 planet = +$20
attacking from 1 system where u own at least 50$% = +$15
attacking from 1 system which u completely own = +$10
attacking from 2 system which u own at least 50% in both = +$5
attacking from 2 systems that u comepletely own = +$0

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5