Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replays menu requires overhaul
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:43 am 
Sea Wolf

The replays area requires a total overhaul. It's the same mess now that it was in Massive Assault, but worse is the fact that the developers own replay naming scheme exposes one of the worst things about it, yet nothing has been done to correct the problem.

1. Why is the replay area is too small to display the filenames in a way that is useful.

2. Why am I relying in a filename for this information? Why isn't there a side panel with all this information displayed each time I select a replay?

3. Why can I not sort the replays by anything other than date of creation?

The area needs replacing, in its place should be something, probably full screen, with sortable columns for game #, map, PL player, FNU player, name of winner, and the numbers of turns.

At the last, something like the Warcraft III replay system should be in place, complete with folder support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:19 pm 
Sea Wolf

Good ideas here. Also might be helpful to have the rank/skill stats of the both players at the time the game was played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:12 am 
Sea Wolf

can you jump to a certain turn yet in a replay? is annoying when you are watching a very long good game and ahve to stop it for some reason, then u have to sit thru all the turns you've already watched to get back to the point u were at.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:43 pm 
Levy

I really think the replay needs to be upgraded too. Especially with regards to what enforcer said about being able to skip to particular turns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:06 am 
Sea Wolf

I agree to everything yet said.

Btw, is it possible to play the replays withouth MAN2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:39 am 
Tough Nut

I am missing a skip turn function too!
A slider would be great! :D

Also it would be cool, if you had access to the STATS-Menue during the replays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:44 am 
Sea Wolf

You do, press ESC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:11 am 
Tough Nut

By the way, is there some replays database like for Warcraft III?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:39 am 
Sea Wolf

I suspect that on release they'll open a replays forum. Warcraft III doesn't have a replays database, there are however several unofficial sites running databases for Warcraft III replays. Nothing by Blizzard though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:06 am 
Tough Nut

Quitch wrote:
I suspect that on release they'll open a replays forum. Warcraft III doesn't have a replays database, there are however several unofficial sites running databases for Warcraft III replays. Nothing by Blizzard though.

Well, i didn't said "official database" :) It doesn't really matter if it's official or not so i didn't mention such details.

Too bad. It seems that it's possible to learn some basic tricks and maybe unit composition by watching other's games online. But they seem to be one turn per time only so it's hard to get a more strategic feeling and watch a more prolonged outcome of certain actions. That's why i prefer, say, team games in Civ 4 - it's possible to see what others do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:27 am 
Sea Wolf

I'm pretty sure that if you ask nice there will be players who want to send their replay to you. Good idea though, peeking the tricks from the big boys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:36 am 
Sea Wolf

just out of curiosity, why do you think MAN2 players are interested in seeing how much time you spend on Civ 4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:50 am 
Sea Wolf

It's an XFire sig. Look up XFire to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:08 am 
Tough Nut

storm440 wrote:
just out of curiosity, why do you think MAN2 players are interested in seeing how much time you spend on Civ 4?

Hmm? It's an Xfire mini-profile. Xfire counts time played in several hundreds of games, not only Civ 4... If you click it you can see a full profile (say, in my profile there is also CS:S, Guild Wars, Shadowbane, WoW, Oblivion etc.)

http://www.xfire.com/faq
* What is Xfire?
Xfire is a free gaming tool that automatically keeps track of when and where gamers are playing PC games online and lets their friends join them easily. It doesn't matter which online game your friends are playing, which server browser they are using, or which gaming service they're playing on; Xfire is intelligent enough to recognize where your friends are at any time.

But this description is a little outdated. It's also a messenger that may send and recieve messages from inside the supported games (no need to alt-tab etc), including VoIP chat. Also, you can see which games your friends are currently playing and join servers where your friends are playing at that moment. It can make screenshots as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:08 pm 
I haven't read all these posts, but I can attest that the replay "for me" doesn't work. By "doesn't work" I mean I can't see a replay of a game I've played/ and saved as a replay. I never have. I am not a pc smart-guy, but I expect computers to give friendly and not require lots of education. BTW - That is what computers are supposed to be able to do. Shorten every action.
THis is not really problem for me, but as this topic exists, here's something for the guitar case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:39 am 
Conscript

Enforcer wrote:
can you jump to a certain turn yet in a replay? is annoying when you are watching a very long good game and ahve to stop it for some reason, then u have to sit thru all the turns you've already watched to get back to the point u were at.

Captain X wrote:
I am missing a skip turn function too!
A slider would be great! :D

There should be an option to jump to a particular turn plus a rewind button for single steps. This would make the replays really handy and usefull. To top this, how about an access to replays while beeing online? So you could use the time for "learning" while waiting for an opponent :D